Who makes a good headgasket?

Nissanparts.cc has been dragging their feet on my order for the last 2 weeks for my Nismo head/header gasket order, and I'm trying to get my motor together.

I'm trying to find a better, thicker gasket for my high compression motor, to help keep the C/R as low as possible. Right now I'm looking at low 10's. (Not 100% since I haven't CC'd the piston to see.)

Cometic doesn't make a gasket for the L20b, and I'm not sure of any other good manufacturers. 

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They used to make metal spacers for when the head has been severely milled. It put back what was removed. Not sure if you need a gasket on both sides or not. I looked at making a copper one. Trace out the head gasket on a 0.060" thick (or more) sheet and cut it out. It's soft enough to seal with some spray gasket sealer. It's totally reusable too.

Normal crushed gasket thickness is about 1.2mm or 48 thou.

They used to make metal spacers for when the head has been severely milled. It put back what was removed. Not sure if you need a gasket on both sides or not. I looked at making a copper one. Trace out the head gasket on a 0.060" thick (or more) sheet and cut it out. It's soft enough to seal with some spray gasket sealer. It's totally reusable too.

Normal crushed gasket thickness is about 1.2mm or 48 thou.

The "Felpro Headsaver" dead soft copper gasket is available for the L20B.  It can be used alone, or with a composite gasket on top of it.

I have this on my LZ24 Frankenstein engine, no issues.

Felpro headsaver is 0.022 ... Usually too thin depending on application.  Everywhere I've read says pure copper head gasket requires an o-ring.

Nissanparts.cc has been dragging their feet on my order for the last 2 weeks for my Nismo head/header gasket order, and I'm trying to get my motor together.

I'm trying to find a better, thicker gasket for my high compression motor, to help keep the C/R as low as possible. Right now I'm looking at low 10's. (Not 100% since I haven't CC'd the piston to see.)

Cometic doesn't make a gasket for the L20b, and I'm not sure of any other good manufacturers. 

you can get a copper gasket with compression crush rings like an OE gasket so you don't have to oring the block, and they can be made to a ton of different thickness.  Companies like SCE gaskets, gasketworks, ...  

Was recommended by a mechanic friend to run copper due to the way I run my engine hard.

I ordered a 0.043 ICS titan from SCE gaskets and waiting on it being made.   No idea how long it takes but I can report back when I have it.  its probably about $140 but that's due to it being a custom ICS titan, and custom bore(ordered 89mm).  Might be cheaper for future orders since they've made one before.

Since motorsport has moved it seems the Customer service is worst. They out of Tennesee now. I have never got anything from them since they moved.

Getting a thicker gasket isnt going to make a huge difference in my opinion . If any thing cost more to find this gasket than actually lowering the Comp Ration to make a difference.

If you got flattop pistons on a L20 then its already to  high for street use. thik gasket or not

I hear the east coast has 94 octane which might help

Nissan Competition has had awesome service every time I've called...but since you MUST go through a nissan dealer, and the dealerships actually have to lift a finger to order the parts, it takes forever to get things moving. Once the dealer orders the parts, they normally are overnight for me.

Course, I live less than 100 miles from the Nissan Competition headquarters...

Thanks for the help guys!! I'm gonna investigate some of the links you guys have sent. I just feel like these guys should give me some kind of notification. It's been weeks. I called them even before ordering it to see what other options they might have had, and was told I'd get a phone call back Monday morning. NOTHING.

If worst comes to worst, I'll use FelPro for now. I don't have flat top pistons, so I should be fine with a little less advance at 93 octane. 

^^^this

wolf creek racing sells them too.

i had to make only 1 hole in it for my LZ22

Yeah...I noticed that oblong one was MIA at the back of the HG

NissanHG_zps1bd7c8e1.jpg

This hole....

sh7.jpg

Not sure if that Nismo HG is thicker than the Felpro/stock..???..... a little expensive for having 8 extra holes drilled into it.

Think I'll stick with my Felpros

Hang _510......Is this your block????

Z22hang510_zps2d4af1bf.jpg