Reverse eye leaf springs

Did some searching and couldn't really find any good pics or instructions on how to do this. I'm reading any where from a 1.5 to 2.5 inch drop after it's done. Can anybody elaborate on the process for me. Pics would be nice.

This is for a 77 B210 which has a 4 leaf pack. I got my fronts situated, now I need the rear so I can roll a little lower into Blue Lake.:D

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ARe you wanting true reverse eved springs or are you just wanting to flip a leaf into the top of the pack?

I dont like the flip the leaf to the top of the pack--pointless, might as well just remove it completely. Its benefit is that it fits most Ratsun budgets.

A reversed eye spring is a custom peice that is made at your local spring shop. And yes it can be worth about 2 inches. This method also allow you to maintain your proper spring rate, unlike removing/flipping leafs.

Jason

Yeah I'm talking about flipping. The Turd is my daily and I work 6 days a week. So I was wanting to lower it with as little down time as possible. Talked to a spring shop and de-arching is only about $150 for the pair, but it takes about 3 days to get done. So this a temporary thing until I can get a little time off. (which may be a while)

So some people say flip the 1&2 springs and repack. Some people say flip 3&4 springs. Any help would be appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

well, i guess i will step up to the plate and try this myself, i got my enkies looking good and now i'm dying to slap them on my b210. but i'm not going to do it if it's not lowered at least 1.5 to 2 inches, it just would not look right. this saturday.

a spring shop can do it... fairly cheap, and your not gonna get a leaf spring through your chest...

i want to try that thing you said about flipping the lower two leaf springs and putting them on top of the two main top leafs to see how much it will lower the rear. are you saying it's not worth it? going this route will not cost any money, going the other way will cost between 100 to 150.

The "overload" leaf on a b210 is pretty small so its a good trick, it was TOTALLY worth it on my corolla. If you check out PCD's thread on his wagon, it would seem he is pretty satisified with it for now. On the corolla it even stiffened the ride a little, made it feel sportier without being harsh.

You can't flip it on a 620 since its so BIG! On my 620 it is removed and was good for over an inch, I have even carried heavy loads... though I wouldn't recommend carrying much after its taken out... You can also remove some of the center leafs (when pertaining to springs is it leafs or leaves???) and lower it also, and the overloads will still do their job, mine however with no load in it has a VERY comfortable ride (overload out and 2 inch angled block) compared to traditional "just blocks" arraingments, or center leafs and blocks. Some people say that it could be dangerous, but so far so good... like I said I don't recommend heavy loads, my leafs were arched the opposite direction with about 800lbs back there.

last night i did some measuring and pounding. i have a set of extra leaf springs from anther b 210. i took a completely stock set of springs and did the following:

the lower two springs put on the top and the arches facing each other, it netted a total of 3 and half inch drop, copared to stock.

with just the lower leaf placed on top and the three lower leafs remaining the same, it netted a 1 and quarter inch drop.

one is to much and the other is too little. so this is what i did. i flattened out the two lower leafs by heating them up to almost red and pounding them out with a hammer on a steel table. i then took these two leafs springs and placed them on top of the two main top leafs. this netted a total of 2 and half inch drop. still a lot but less than three and half which is too much for me. i will post pics on saturday when i remove the stock leaf springs.

• 2 weeks later...

i had mine flattened by national spring co.

so i didn't have to worry about how much to pound and worry if they'd be uneven

they charged me $150, and it's another $100 to add a leaf

i didn't want to add a leaf, in case it was too stiff of a ride

you tell them how low you want it, and they take care of it

i was unsure, so the guy told me i could bring them back if i needed more pounding

bonvo, lowering the car is not the only objective. you also want to make sure you don't increase your chances of axle tramp, which is guaranteed if you use blocks

ultimately, i want to switch over to a 4 link or something similar

• 2 weeks later...
i had mine flattened by national spring co.

so i didn't have to worry about how much to pound and worry if they'd be uneven

they charged me $150, and it's another $100 to add a leaf

i didn't want to add a leaf, in case it was too stiff of a ride

you tell them how low you want it, and they take care of it

i was unsure, so the guy told me i could bring them back if i needed more pounding

bonvo, lowering the car is not the only objective. you also want to make sure you don't increase your chances of axle tramp, which is guaranteed if you use blocks

ultimately, i want to switch over to a 4 link or something similar

whats "axle tramp"?

oh?

yeah i wasnt familar with the term either, from the quick google its more or less a type a wheel hop, atleast thats what i got from it. Im gonna try flipping some leafs tomarrow, ill let you know how it goes.

Edited by sanitys

lol.

I recently took out the overload leaf in mine but it didn't seem to do anything. I with my truck was slammed. It came with three leafs and there stiff ass heck! I think thats why im not getting any lower. Should I run one leaf? I dont think thats save but, what do you guys think?

lol.

I recently took out the overload leaf in mine but it didn't seem to do anything. I with my truck was slammed. It came with three leafs and there stiff ass heck! I think thats why im not getting any lower. Should I run one leaf? I dont think thats save but, what do you guys think?

well I checked out this thread...

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=7580

and he doesnt have blocks yet his looks just about as low as mine, so im hoping if I do the same thing Ill get another 3-4 inches, but we will see tomarrow...

Removing the overload doesn't do anything until you have over 700lbs or so in the bed. Its purpose is to keep the main springs from bending past the point of no return (at around 2000lbs in the bed, hitting a speed bump could concieveably bend the springs permanently).

Just running the one main leaf is a recipe for disaster- there's nothing to prevent them from twisting, and you''ll end up with the axle out of alignment. Just taking a corner at 40MPH could do it. What you really need to do is get rid of the 1973 springs- they're rated at 1Ton, and a FAR stiffer than what was used in '75-on. There are various versions, but the ones used in '78-79 are the weakest. The best thing to use is 3 leaves from the trucks that had 5 leaves (the leaves themselves are much thinner).

Fortunately I don't have that problem...

heavysprings2.JPG

Need a bigger overload, though.