Using these on my 510

I plan to use these rims with the tires in the pic on my 510. I will have it lowered with eather the old school way or coil overs. The car will have 280zx front struts and breaks. The rear drum fined aluminum. I hear I will need spacers to use them what I do not know is how thick? The rims are off a 300zx from some time back I believe. Anyone using these what will I have to do to use them?

IMG_20130331_121828.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why spacers? so the rim/tire will clear the strut? zx struts will move the rim and tire about an inch more outward from the car than the stock struts, so spacer + strut may bring it too close to the fender. 

They are nice rims but never fall in love with a woman and then make yourself fit to her requirements. Find a woman that fits YOU. Same with rims. You may luck out with them, lets hope so. Why not test fit them right now? Use washers for temp spacers until you get the fit you want.

Another option is using 300zx hubs (right) that space the rim/tire outward from the strut.

zxandZ31hubs75inchdiffonzxstrut_zps183ad

Spacers in the front 10 mm to clear strut 15 mm to clear coil over adjuster and support ring

Rear will clear but use sticky weights no clip one they will rub the a arm and you will get a tick tick every time the weight passes the a arm

Spacers on the back will make a little more flush look

With stock struts and 195 50 15 they will barely clear slightly rubbing at times although with the slight rub sometimes I never had any problems

^^^^^^ what he said

mike is almost always correct but the zx struts pull the tires in about 3/4 inch and your rims will be closer to the strut

I bought 10 mm spacers for those exact rims with zx struts and had minimal clearance but it worked

what I didnt account for was adding the coil overs and the perch for the coller to sit on, to clear the sleeve and coller you will need 15 mm spacer

you might want to have alll the pieces and verify these numbers but they should work depending on how thick the sleeves are and the coller perch

just add washers till you get the clearence you need then measure how thick the washers are that you added

its simple and you will make sure to get the spacer you need

also I would recomend hub centric spacers especialy on the front

Oh oh...

then you could use the 300z hubs but might need work to fit the 280zx bearing seal

and I think wilwood brakes with adapters are the only brake option

^^^^^^ what he said

mike is almost always correct but the zx struts pull the tires in about 3/4 inch and your rims will be closer to the strut

I bought 10 mm spacers for those exact rims with zx struts and had minimal clearance but it worked

what I didnt account for was adding the coil overs and the perch for the coller to sit on, to clear the sleeve and coller you will need 15 mm spacer

you might want to have alll the pieces and verify these numbers but they should work depending on how thick the sleeves are and the coller perch

just add washers till you get the clearence you need then measure how thick the washers are that you added

its simple and you will make sure to get the spacer you need

also I would recomend hub centric spacers especialy on the front

Did you have any problems with lug length after adding the 10mm spacers?