Idiot lights not working

laniadude

So I turned on my truck this morning and noticed that when I put the key to the on position, none of my normal idiot lights went on.  The truck still started and my parking and headlights still work and so does the wipers.  But not the turn signal and the idiot lights.  the temp gauge and the battery gauge don't work either.  I checked the charging system and it puts 15.3V to the battery.  (its been like that since Ive done the internally regulated alternator from a 720 like a year ago.)  I also noticed that when I used to put the key to the on position, I heard a click like a relay or something kicking on.  I don't hear that anymore.  is there an ignition relay somewhere on this truck? 

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I turned on my truck this morning and noticed that when I put the key to the on position, none of my normal idiot lights went on.  The truck still started and my parking and headlights still work and so does the wipers.  But not the turn signal and the idiot lights.  the temp gauge and the battery gauge don't work either.  .....  I also noticed that when I used to put the key to the on position, I heard a click like a relay or something kicking on.  I don't hear that anymore.  is there an ignition relay somewhere on this truck? 

Some things will work without the ignition. Headlights horn interior and brake lights.

Others like the wipers and instrument lights get their power from the ignition through the fuses. The fact that your wipers work tells me that power IS getting to and from the ignition switch to the fuse box at least. The left side of the fuse box is powered by the ignition in the ON position. The very back fuse (10 amp) is for the turn signals, dash gauges and reverse lamps. Has to be the fuse or the wire connection behind the fuse is loose or bad connection

turns out that all my fuses were good to begin with.  Did not need changing.  The culprit was a loose connection from a butt connector that was used to splice new L shape connectors for the fuse block.   Its funny, the ignition was in the on position then I unscrewed the block from the mount and let it hang.  As soon as it moved the idiot lights lit up..... 

If it was me I'd solder and heat shrink them.  sounds like another project.  Oh well, thanks everyone for your input!!!