510 rear coil over decision made

Ranman72

has anyone ever run a rear coil over set up and kept the other springs in the stock location?

is this a good  idea bad idea stupid idea ???

I am looking to stiffen the rear end and get rid of the squat the ride height I have now is good 

I was also wondering if anyone has had any problems with breaking the stock shock mount when running the rear coil overs 

Thanks for your input Randy 

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see no problem with this. No different that dual valve springs or adding an extra leaf. Some people remove the stock spring and run all the rear weight on a coil over supported by the rear shock mount and seem to do so without problems. I did mention this once and everyone said this was so.

or just get coilovers with a stiffer spring rate like 300 or 350

i haven't heard of any shock mount failures when running coil overs but that was my concern and the thought behind running both springs 

the cost is not the problem I am getting these new in a trade deal otherwise I wouldn't have the money for them 

so if I go strictly coil overs any suggestions on spring rate for minimal sag and not break my teeth 

the shocks only dampen the ride and shouldn't control the height so I am running tokiko blues and a stiffer shock might slow down the sag but wouldn't it still drop the same amount 

and by the way the springs are after market but I have no idea the spring rate I believe they are suspension techneics ( I know spelled wrong )

The stock coils are not over the rear axles but in front between them and the hinge point on the cross member. Effectively the axle has a mechanical advantage when squeezing the spring of about 3.8. This means that if you have say, a 200 pounds per inch front spring rate on your zx struts and want a similar rate at the back, you will need a spring rate of 760. 

Now if running a coil over on the shock mount you are now placing the axle between it and the hinge point. The mechanical advantage is lost and a lighter spring rate is needed for the same perceived ride stiffness. It would be 200 pounds per inch is directly above the wheel and slightly less if behind.

well we are going to try 250LB  on coil overs in the rear my zx front set up looks to be around 220LB this should be a good combination as long as its not to stiff 

thanks for all the input when they are installed I will let you all know how well I like it 

Spring rate is something that is different for everyone. Some like firm, anther's firm is too soft to someone else and so on. Best is to try driving someone else's car and get the feel for it. My 710 is 150 in the front..... I don't think I would like it any stiffer.

• 2 weeks later...

well I got the techno toy tuning rear coil overs installed today 

I am running 250 Lb springs and the coil set up is built on the 8 way AGX shock 

Gabriel at techno suggested running at 2 or 3 for the street 

I started off at 2 and then tried 3 I like the 3 setting but as I drive it more I might go to 4 

I am happy with the spring rate it seems pretty good supports with little sag but not to stiff to make your teeth fall out 

If I decide to make my teeth fall out I will try #8 setting on the shocks 

I also removed the old springs like normal people do 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great no squat!  What do you have planned for up front?

zx fronts springs are about 220 slotted cross drilled rotors Techno camber plates and tension rods all this not installed yet 

I still need to get the rotors