Weber only running while choked.

So I finally got the right adapter for a weber I pulled out of storage a while back. I tooke it apart and cleaned it a bunch. The emulsion tubes were all dusty and a little corroded so I thoroughly cleaned everything. I have it all hooked up, but it will only start and run fully choked. It sounds fairly healthy when it runs, but dies immediately when I let off the choke. This is on an A15, 82 210.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get some carb cleaner and spray it at the base of carb and the linkage if idle changes alot try to narrow down where leak is.. I have seen carbs that aren`t flat on the base, maybe from over tightening ( guess ) if it leaks there try spreading vasoline on area sometimes this will help narrow it down also... You could rip it off and take a straight edge to adapter and the bottom of carb..

Dabbing vaseline on suspected area sounds weird but it will seal area quickly and temporarily but can be removed easily.

If it`s leaking through the linkage,,,,  a new carb may be in your future..

Picture of adapter i took off a truck recently that ran exactly like you describe ,,, holding it flat against pole and screenback sandpaper is being held up by another person not pinched by adapter.

TrackFBallMisc005_zps4e026373.jpg

• Like 1

I believe that even on a manual-choke DGV the choke on (closed) engages the fast-idle cam.  Opening the choke puts it into the idle circuit.  If that's plugged, or the idle mix is too lean, it won't run.

But it can also be a vacuum leak.  But generally those show up as an idle that won't go below 1500 or so RPM.

I've managed to get it idling nice at about 750 rpm without the choke now. Had to clean out the idle circuit a little more. Now I've got a new problem. It dies when I hit the gas. If I pump the gas and give it full throttle it revs and stays running, so the secondary appears to work, but it looks like I'm gonna have to clean the primary out more.

Accelerator pump is functioning really well. I took the carb off and cleaned it out again. I don't know if it can be much cleaner at this point. haha Still kills the engine when I hit the throttle. I'm starting to think it's a vacuum leak in the carb somewhere. I capped the vac advance port to see if it may have been somewhere in that line, didn't change anything. Checked the base and the adapter for leaks, and all that's fine.

Secondary is working great, primary is getting little to nothing.

And I'm definitely below 5000 feet.

that adpater you have suck if overtighten they can crack. If cracked youll get a bad idle. or mixture is off making it look like a plugged idle jet.

idle OK next step:

if you hit the gas and it goes up in rpm then dies its might be a plugged main jet. try getting the car up in rpm and block the main side of carb with your hand while iopening the 2nd barrel with your finger screwdriver or whatever. They should be enough vaccum to keep it running.

then block the 2nd barrel and open the main side see if dies.

all else rev it up to it almost explodes and put a rag over the carb and hope it sucks the dirt of the of the main jet.