I need help...280zx strut. Not what I planned on..

So I took my struts to the shop to get the perches cut. They cut them all right. They cut them right below the perch and the top part that goes through the perch (the thread to the cartridge). My plan was to use a clamp under the perch so I can adjust the ride height. What do I do now? I don't want to weld them as I wanna be able to adjust the ride height.. Thanks.

strut_zps347c8264.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cut the perches off like planned and weld them back together - better yet, section a bit out of them before welding them back together and run a shorter insert.  The weld will be inside the coilover collar and will be plenty strong at that leverage point as long as they're welded decently (chamfer the weld joint, butt them square, quality weld).

Well too late now but you still can hack saw them yourself or borrow an angle grinder and a $3 cutting wheel.

Just nic above the weld all the way round and tap them up and off.

strutmods004Large-1.jpg

strutmods005Large-1.jpg

strutmods006Large.jpg

Grind that weld down

strutmods027Large.jpg

Cut the perches off like planned and weld them back together - better yet, section a bit out of them before welding them back together and run a shorter insert.  The weld will be inside the coilover collar and will be plenty strong at that leverage point as long as they're welded decently (chamfer the weld joint, butt them square, quality weld).

What Matt said, great idea. you will get more travel out of your shock and spring and still have a low ride