Project RotaryZ

Got me a 1973 240z with no title. I was pretty afraid i would have to part it out since it is pretty clean. No rust on rockers, hatch, cowl, battery area, etc. The problem now was to get a title under my name. Went to the DMV today and paying 45 for a non op status. The car is now in my name with a clean title.

So what about the rotary? Well my buddy had a RX7 with a an EFI 13b and an aftermarket turbo. Sadly the car was t boned and was totaled. The engine was saved for a new chassis but instead he is installing a turbo II 13b motor and this was just  hanging around. So he gave it away!

My plan is to make this a budget Rotary powered 240z. Fast, nimble, and light as possible. Going to have this finished by the end of the summer. Wish me luck! Pics coming soon.

• Like 2
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya its been done a few times, makes for a fun Z Though I would use no less then a 3 rotor lol. There is so much hood on a z its a shame to waste it ;-). 

I want to do a 3 rotor in a spl311

Either way its going to be fun to see another one come together. 

Well the engine was free and so is the trans. Plus the engine will sit behind the rack and that will/should make it a well balanced car.

A good pic of someone else's project is this one. It is not very hard to do a mount... I will try to make it better. 

PICT0206.sized.jpg

I would be interested to see the balance on this build. Would you happen to be able to take it and check the weight at all corners when finished? I've been looking for a track project and this looks awesome.

Sure will! This 73 I was told is a little bit heavier than the first year Z. This has insulation, and had a AC system. So we plan to remove all that and make it nice and fun. Thanks!

BUT! I was also told that the 240Z weighs less than the first gen RX7. I will look up data on that right now...

The lighter rotory actually unbalances the car, its balanced with the stock drive line. Lowering the weight and bringing it back towards center is good but you will need to loose weight out of the rear or its going to be a back heavy bias. That or end up just putting the weight back in bracing, Idk what your plans are. 

A fully light weight build would be fun there is a thread on hbz with all the things that can be done. I believe the driveline alone can afford to loose 75lbs on a stock 240z, thats all rotating mass! Then with plexi glass, replacing the doors, hatch, hood with fg you literally loose 100+ lbs of sprung weight. 

The 1st gen rx7 and 240z have almost the exact curb weight so you can bet after the swap a turbo 1st gen rx7 is what its going to feel like lol. Speed wise anyway, the z will handle 10x better. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...