curiousity has dumbfounded me...

r@+5un620

im like a lot of us here hoping for a tach to come along .... so last night i got to thinking. the 280 z tach looks alot like the 620 besides the bezel. so i was browsing ebay and i spotted those white bezel kits. im curious as to if the z tach needle is close to if not the same in position to the 620 i attempted to measue this on my phone but pictures can be decieving and im not the greatest math wiz. i am really hopeful on this bc it would make it look semi stock instead of aftermarket and not to mention last longer as every one ive ever bought has lasted no longer than a couple years

thanks for any insight, kyle

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, a 4-cyl tach "divides" the pulse by 2, since you only get 2 sparks per revolution, and a 6-cyl by 3.  That's because the cam (and distributor) turn at 1/2 crankshaft speed.

However, to use a stock 6-cyl tach,  you could just replace the face with a label.  2000 RPM would become 3000, 4000 would become 6000, etc, 6000 would become 9000, etc.  You'd multiply the 6-cyl labels by 1.5.

But, that being said, the 280Z tach is physically larger than the 620 tach.

The 1200 tach is an exact match into the 620 dash, screws right it. I found one in a truck. The only difference is the 1200 has a flat face while the 620 is cone shaped with nipple. I had an old dash and just cut a cone from it and 'made it work'

Brainstorming here, someone who is a lot smarter on electrical stuff than I am should  be able to rewire the tach to work with a 4cyl instead of a 6 cyl that it originally came with.  When you buy a new tach sunpro autometer etc you have to dial in 4, 6 or 8 cyl on the back.

Roger

Aftermarket tachs have the electronics for all 3 settings, and only use the logic for the ones selected.  Some have a loop wire you cut- that changes the logic as well.  Factory tachs don't have this.  You could, if you were an electronics engineer, alter the circutry with different ordering/types of transistors and logic gates/counter chips, or you could do it with a pulse converter (convert 4 pulses in to 6 out) with a 2 to 3 pulse multiplier.

But you still have to deal with the tach being physically larger than the hole in the dash.  There are many, many other 4-cyl tachs that would fit easier.