The Tofumobile

EdwardK

Hello all!

I just picked up a '74 Datsun 620 today, I'm curious as to what information you guys can give me as far as maintenance goes.

1-DSC02942.JPG

It has 120k miles on it and according to the previous owner, (Have yet to get documentation of such.) it's been serviced at a Nissan dealership since day one.

(Never acquired documentation and recent development lead me to believe it was 220k or maybe even 320k.)

Overall, it's a fantastic little truck. Runs and drives like a dream. I only have two gripes about it.

The first being it ticks a little bit. I do know it's nearing needing an oil change. Should the oil change fix this problem? (It's about half a quart low.) Or do I need to see about getting the valves adjusted too?

The second isn't so much of a gripe as it is an observation. When I'm in forth gear, doing about 65mph the shifter vibrates pretty loudly. If I keep my hand on it it shuts up. Any thoughts?

And lastly, the speedometer is broken. Probably the gear up in the back as it's stuck at 40mph. Is there any way to get to that without taking the whole dashboard out? I have a replacement speedo, but I'm just unsure whether or not I should go pulling the whole dashboard out without consulting someone first.

Thanks so much guys!

-Edward K. A.

2-DSC02940.JPG

Please ignore my little brother admiring my new wheels. 

P.S. One more thing! When I first start it up it has a gassy smell, but it goes away pretty quickly. Is that normal for the choke on this vehicle or do I need to have that looked at too?

• Like 1
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the ticking is pretty normal for L series motors so unless it sounds particularly bad I wouldn't fret. You might be able to get rid of some of the noise by setting your valve lash. wobble in the shifter sounds like mebbe your drive shaft is out of balance??

Welcome to ratsun and I suggest posting more pics especially of anything you talk aboot, such as the shifter, the spedo, and mos def a BUNCH  of under hood pics.

• Like 1

That is a beautiful truck.

Ticks are normal. Change the oil and adjust the valves. Should quite it down a bit.

Shifter might need new bushings. Make sure the trans is topped off. You might change the trans oil to know exactly where you stand with it. 

Choke might need adjustment for the gas smell. 

Love the truck keep updating  :)

• Like 2

That is a beautiful truck.

Ticks are normal. Change the oil and adjust the valves. Should quite it down a bit.

Shifter might need new bushings. Make sure the trans is topped off. You might change the trans oil to know exactly where you stand with it. 

Choke might need adjustment for the gas smell. 

Love the truck keep updating   :)

The above.

• Like 1

hopefully not dog ticks...J/K...maybe try adjusting the valves.  You can add the a qt of oil and see what happens but these engines will tick.  Get a book, not sure how much you know mechanically but start doing the basic stuff. Maybe wait till he gives you the records of NISSAN maintenance b4 you start doing stuff to the truck..BTW nice truck.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input guys!

As far as the ticking goes, it's really quiet, have to pop the hood to really hear it. Sounds no worse than the VW the my mother owns. But since I'm unfamilair with the truck, I thought I'd ask first. I'll definitely either check the valves myself or have it done at the dealer later on.

I was seriously thinking about buying this truck myself!  Guess my search continues :crying:

Well I wish the best of luck to you. I'd been talking with this guy for a month before I finally managed to scrounge up the bread for it. lol

the ticking is pretty normal for L series motors so unless it sounds particularly bad I wouldn't fret. You might be able to get rid of some of the noise by setting your valve lash. wobble in the shifter sounds like mebbe your drive shaft is out of balance??

Welcome to ratsun and I suggest posting more pics especially of anything you talk aboot, such as the shifter, the spedo, and mos def a BUNCH  of under hood pics.

Like I said before, it sounds akin to an old VW aircooled thats been adjusted correctly. So it doesn't sound bad, it's just there.

I don't think it's the driveshaft, I have a mazda where the driveshaft is unbalanced and the whole darned car vibrates because of it. I'm thinking it's the bushings like someone else said.

Thanks man, I'll definitely get some more pics and use them when I ask questions like this. The engine is honestly a little embarrassing, but a good steam clean will fix that.

Again thanks everyone!

• Like 1

The Speedo is easy. The gauge bezel confess our with 3 screws, the wiper knob, and the lighter. Pretty easy. Nice truck. Welcome to ratsun.

Any secret to getting the clips to release without damaging the insert?

I managed to get it out of the donor dashboard without any problems like this. (It was full of cracks and thus flexed easily.) But my good dash in the truck now doesn't want to give me the gauge cluster. XD

• Like 1

The Speedo is easy. The gauge bezel confess our with 3 screws, the wiper knob, and the lighter. Pretty easy. Nice truck. Welcome to ratsun.

Any secret to getting the clips to release without damaging the insert?

I managed to get it out of the donor dashboard without any problems like this. (It was full of cracks and thus flexed easily.) But my good dash in the truck now doesn't want to give me the gauge cluster. XD

• Like 1

I just go slow and steady. Haven't had a problem yet.

I got it out with no problems. Mine actually has four screws holding it in including the one under the dashboard.

So now that I have it out, I've found the speedometer cable is broken. And the only parts I can find are for the automatics. Did the manual and automatic have an interchangeable speedometer cable? Looking at the photos that the parts store has they look the same anyway.

• Like 1

Was looking hard at this truck. Never pulled the trigger and called him. From what he was asking in the ad, you got a great buy for it. Keep us posted. Would love to see what progress you make

It's funny that I've already had two people say that now. The guy said he had a lot of interest in the truck but most of 'em were just tire kickers. I called the dude daily for about a week before I finally decided to buy it from him. I'm stupid happy over the thing.

• Like 2

Also! Due to my ignorance on how speedo cables work I've found a kit to repair mine now.

XD Even with two rebuilds under my belt I've never had any problems with a speedometer. First time for everything I suppose.

Imma take photos of the process. Should I upload them here or in the projects forum?

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

you could do a how to write up...

I was going to, but my time fizzled down into nothing. Also, I didn't want to touch the camera with greasy hands... I need a camera monkey...

Very clean truck, I like it!

MOAR OICS!

Thanks!

Imma get a page for it set up on my blog soon and link some pics there. But in the mean time...

298144_164383587060575_1321243202_n.jpg

It's so tiny! I love this truck. XD

9062_156483987850535_109528283_n.jpg

559238_156399371192330_1289447500_n.jpg

561254_160240110808256_1242887421_n.jpg

• Like 1

Those edits...

The truck is super clean from the original pictures, but those last ones do nothing... 

Hahahahaha! If you say so, everyone is entitled to their own opinions yanno?

Although... That B&W I will agree, I just couldn't get the values sets right. I never claimed to know what I'm doing with .raw photography. lol

The truck looks absolutely fantastic, dont get me wrong. It looks super clean. I just cant take the edited photos. 

If they are raw, want to send me the files and I can play around with them? :angel:

XD That's okay. I'm still learning this fandangled "photography" stuff.

Man, if I kept all my .RAW's I'd need several new hard-drives. If I still had the originals I would've sent them to you. XD I'll keep a few from my next, "shoot" if you'd like to show me up. ;D