The Tofumobile

EdwardK

Hey all! Been doing a ton of work to the truck. (Mostly cosmetic.) Mounted the mirrors properly, got (most) of the old mirror holes patched and painted over with primer. Done some goofy shtuff of course, such as a crappy white paint-job over the "DATSUN" on the tailgate, thinking about putting the Fujiwara Tofu thing on both doors for the heck of it until I can actually repaint the thing.

Things to do in the near future? Finish repairing rust. repair floorpan, repaint, disk brakes, bed hooks, do something about my cracked dash, finish the exhaust, fix all the damn oil leaks, upgraded clutch and flywheel... Heck probably gonna buy another motor and build it and swap the two to have a spare.

I either want to buy a black grill or paint this one... Are the silver's rare or can I paint away?

I also have a... surprise. XD Although it's nothing you guys haven't seen I imagine.

daily_driven_by_edwardka-d6j6f7r.jpg

Also wish I could remove the "any advice" from my topic as I think I'll just start posting the updates on this thing here.

• Like 2
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also wish I could remove the "any advice" from my topic as I think I'll just start posting the updates on this thing here.

You can, go to the very 1st post and hit edit. then hit"use full editor".You'll be able to rename you topic title. I do it all the time.  

• Like 1

014___sunshine_in_garage_by_edwardka-d6l

This was right before I change the valve seals out. She smokes a LOT less now. But still smokes some, which is frustrating.

017___passenger_by_edwardka-d6lkf1w.jpg

anybody have problems with these things leaving little muddy paw prints all over your clean truck? Oi.

roller_by_edwardka-d6lkf8w.jpg

The interior. I have little to say about it. Need to mount the center console in so it doesn't flop around when I'm making some G's.

blue_sky_by_edwardka-d6lkfir.jpg

Some handpainting on the side.

delivery_by_edwardka-d6lkelv.jpg

And the grill vastly improved upon. Now I just need to find a Datsun emblem for it and wait for the paint to cure to throw the chrome back on.

1011825_165547046968279_1298206445_n.jpg

And the rear.

Anyway. That's all I got for now.

Heh, something failed in my brakes yesterday. I drove all the way from Road Atlanta (I have pictures, just gotta get them off the camera.) back to SC without brakes. Let me tell yah, it's exciting to learn the nuance's of downshift braking on the fly.

Got a new set of parts for the brakes coming in and she should be road-worthy again by tuesday unless I destroyed the drums.

Bench bleed the master, use athe flare nut wrench and make sure you get the clevis spacing right on the pedal

Definitely. Got the brakes taken apart today to find shoes that are... old. Like, really old. The pads on the shoes shattered in the front. Time to rebuild the brakes! :D

Love your truck but also love every 620 out there can't wait to get mine back on the road brakes and finish up the small thing on the motor swap went to scca races this weekend didn't get anything done :( but races were a blast :D think I'm going to pull a 48hr shift this weekend and get her fired

I hear yah, I've yet to attend SCCA events, more of a NASA guy myself.

You should totally get that truck back on the road dude!

• 2 months later...

Wow! I've ever heard of that.

Sorry man, how's the undercarriage?

I've never heard of it either. But that's the only thing I can figure out, unless maybe the tire place stripped 'em out with an impact wrench. Whatever the case, I'm going out in a bit to go buy new lugnuts.

Everything seems fine except the fender and the cab where in the heat of the moment, I tried to use it as a jacking point like an idiot. Popped the wheel back on with the three crappy lug nuts I could find and limped her back home. Didn't vibrate or pull to either side so I think it's still driveable. I'll just be fenderless for a few weeks I suppose.

shit  man, that really sucks!!!! I like your truck. Lots of potential.

Yeah, it sucks a bit. lol Stuff happens yah know? Thanks. I think she does anyway. lol

• 3 weeks later...

Alright. To adjust the ride height, there's just the two bolts in the front, and the blocks in the back yes? (That's my understanding from what I've read.)

I wanna go back to stock ride height, I'm tired of dragging my exhaust pipe around on these cruddy rural roads.

Where can I get the stock u-bolts and blocks for the rear?

And does anyone know off the top of their head the original height for the front? And roughly how much movement one full turn of those adjusting nuts give me?

Yep,

The plates where the shocks mount and u-bolts go thru, sit against the spring pack at stock height. So unless your springs have been modified you'll be at stock height when you remove blocks. Be sure the bolt that holds the springs together sits in the center hole on those plates!

I think your springs should be the same as the stock springs pictured in my build thread.

And measure your toe adjustment at the front before you change anything. If you don't get it back to an acceptable adjustment you'll probably start wearing tires out up there

Yep,

The plates where the shocks mount and u-bolts go thru, sit against the spring pack at stock height. So unless your springs have been modified you'll be at stock height when you remove blocks. Be sure the bolt that holds the springs together sits in the center hole on those plates!

I think your springs should be the same as the stock springs pictured in my build thread.

And measure your toe adjustment at the front before you change anything. If you don't get it back to an acceptable adjustment you'll probably start wearing tires out up there

I'm gonna have the alignment redone once I change it all anyways. She's been pulling to one side ever since I bought her.

• 2 weeks later...

I changed my oil over to 10w40 the other day. Only to realize, wait... It's winter... Craaaap.

Runs really good when the outside temp is up. Otherwise, she feels soo slow. 

Also need to tune my carb I think. Idles at 3-400 cold and 5-600 hot.

Anyway, I've got a new fender coming in the mail so photos of that getting fixed soon! :D