Grandma's 66' Fairlane

So, I finally got my hands on an old family heirloom. Here's some back story..

This car was bought brand new by my step father's mother back in 66'. The car was garaged, and only driven to church or to the store for groceries; a true Grandma car. When she passed away, it was handed down to my step father with somewhere around 30k miles, and it was immaculate.

While in my stepfather's possession, it was driven a handful of times(I only got to ride in it once). When he fell ill and eventually passed, it was in his will to pass it to his youngest biological son. It was stored in my shop for a few years until I was summoned to come get the car running. It broke my heart to see it sitting, not being loved, maintained, or otherwise taken care of. It drove away and out of my life for the next 10 years...

I would see my step brother from time to time, and ask him about the car, and if he was ready to sell. He never would budge. Eventually times got hard, he lost his job, and sold his other vehicles. The Fairlane remained. It pained me to see this classic now driven as a daily driver, by him and by his strung-out "baby mommy". Every time I would see the car, it would be in a more deteriorated state.. whether it be the interior, exterior, or the way it was running. I was just waiting to see it in a ditch somewhere or wrapped around a pole.

I stopped seeing it around, and figured that it had been wrecked or sold for dope. One day, I received a text message out of the blue regarding the car. It was my step brother asking if I wanted to buy the car. He expressed that there were other interested parties, but that he wanted to keep it in the family(Thank God!). I asked the price, he threw out a number, and I agreed to look over the car in it's current state and negotiate further.

I went to check out the car, and it was in a non-running state.

Photo2949_zpsaa83dd2b.jpg

It was crammed full of garbage and other possessions, which made me cringe. I carefully removed the rats nest of random computers, fishing poles, baby clothing, etc.. trying not to damage the interior further. Here's what I found.

Photo2960_zps48e493e4.jpgPhoto2961_zps6b736ef7.jpgPhoto2962_zps428c632d.jpg

Fortunately, the back seat was still in good shape. The front seat now had some rips, and the shoulder portion of the passenger seat looked like it was attacked by a bear. All in all, however, I was surprised at how destroyed the interior was NOT. No cigarette burns in the headliner or upholstery, minimal cracking on the dash.. the floors, however, would need to be replaced..

Photo2963_zpsf61848fc.jpg

The bright side to this is, that if I ever run out of gas, I can stick my feet through the floor and Flintstone it to the next station.. my calves are gonna be HUGE.

These are the pics I took of when I went to go check the car out. Like I stated, it was in non-running condition. The radiator had been removed, as it had been leaking. As you can see from the shot of the car up above, the entire engine compartment is covered in a rusty film. This is from the leaking.. no.. SPRAYING radiator being filled time and time again with tap water, basically driving the car into the ground. This concerned me, as since there was no antifreeze being added, what other issues would be present..

• Like 11
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not quite sure right now. At the moment, I'm just getting her up and operational, then once that's done, I'll pick a direction. Since it is in such good shape, I'm leaning towards keeping it mostly stock, I may throw a 4bbl intake and carb with a cam and some other minor mods just to spice things up, but that's yet to be determined. Not gonna swap engines or try to make a GTA clone or anything, this one's way too clean and original, on top of the sentimental aspect.

• Like 1

Should make a cool Sunday cruiser then! This has always been one thing I wish my family was into... no one has ever kept cars long enough to pass them down. I really wish I could inherit or purchase an older family car. Ive seen pictures of some dope ones my grandmother had, but alas nothing once I got older. 

Oh well, Ill just start with my 510. 

Cant wait to see progress on this :thumbup:

I was able to re-install the old radiator, just for the sake of hearing the car run before I made any offers. As I started filling the cooling system, I heard water running out onto the ground.. cripes. I filled it as fast as I could, and looked underneath.. a waterfall coming off the side of the block. Since the car was constantly leaking water from the seam in the radiator, my step brother and his significant other never saw the point in buying antifreeze. Fail. Now the car was either missing a freeze plug, or worse; the block was cracked. I reached around underneath and found the fallen freeze plug in the grass.. however, this was no guarantee that there wasn't other damage somewhere else on the block.

While down in the grass, I scouted around for rust in the rockers, fenders, and quarter panels.. none found. A few spots on the bottom of the driver's door, but that was it. If the engine was toast, it was still a good body, the interior wasn't absolutely thrashed, and the glass was all intact. I rounded up a battery and some fuel to see if I could atleast get her to crank over and run for a few moments to get an idea of if there were any major bottom end noises. With a few whacks to the starter and the cleaning of the solenoid connections, we got some action. Good sign; she wasn't seized. Next, I poured some fuel into the vent tubes on the carb. A few cranks and she fired. Ran horribly, but she still ran. I heard no bottom end noise, but there were a couple lifters hammering. No biggie. I shut it off and checked the electrical systems. Wipers worked. No horn. Stereo didn't work. Blinkers and brake lights, but no headlights... I looked down below, and where the fuse panel should have been, it was a bunch of wires twisted together. When asked where the fuse panel was, my step brother said that it had deteriorated and fallen apart.. great.

So, after all the questions and seeing what it was that I needed to see, it was time to deal. His asking price, in light of all the issues present, had dropped considerably. A deal was struck that we both felt good about, and a time was set to pick up the machine.

Here she is on her way to a new home:

Photo2968_zps2277b1f3.jpg

And here we are upon arrival.

Photo2969_zps3c5280e7.jpg

What an interestingly neat story.

Wow that low of miles on the hand-down ... and sucker looks straight :cool: !

Story Starts off "ok" ,,, starts to run grim .. then looks brighter already.

At least the gym membership will not be needed ... or you could start your own gym with "unique killer" workouts ;)

Those front ends always looked sexy !

Awesome Micro and will be watching the mac daddy cruiser tasteful classic cruiser live again !

• 2 weeks later...

When I finally got some time a couple weeks after purchase to check it out, I got under to examine the location of the popped freeze plug. It wasn't in a HORRIBLE spot, but it was on the driver's side, towards the rear of the engine.

Photo3013_zps1e2efa23.jpg

I bought a freeze plug, cleaned up the edges of the hole, and installed. I felt pretty good about myself, so I filled it with water for a test run. The engine ran well, with no serious knocks or ugly noises, aside from a collapsed lifter. I ran it until warm, then changed the oil and filter.

After the oil was changed, I wanted to run it some more to make sure the block wasn't cracked or anything. After heating up, I looked underneath, and to my disappointment, there was another leak.. I shut it off, and crawled underneath to see a bulging freeze plug on the passenger side, as well as another leaking. One was an easy fix, the other was hidden by the engine mount. After removing the mount and jacking up the engine, it was accessible enough to deal with. No more leaks ;)

There was also an issue with fuel pooling on the intake manifold. With the section of fuel hose going from the fuel line to the filter replaced, it became a non-issue.

Photo3018_zpsb93453cc.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah, me too. It would have been tragic had this thing been melted down before it's time.

As you can see from the under hood shots of the engine compartment, there was a terrible, leaking.. no, SPRAYING radiator. Since the cooling system had been neglected, and there was no rust inhibitor present, the water all turned a burnt red color, and escaped through a gaping split in the seam. After calling around to see if anybody could repair it, it seemed as though buying a new radiator altogether was going to be the cheapest alternative. I was able to find a copper/brass radiator online for about $150 shipped!, which was fantastic compared to the quoted $200 to have it cleaned out and re-soldered. As with all cheap shipping, I did have to wait a little bit longer, but that was OK with me. I came home one day to see the big box on my doorstep, and it was on. Out came the old, crusty radiator...

Photo3029_zps77f5e764.jpg

... to make room for the fresh, new one.

Photo3030_zpsd609f300.jpg

I will say, that in order to treat the shiny new radiator as good as I possibly could, I spent a good amount of time flushing the cooling system prior to the removal of the original.

New, clean cooling goodness! MMMMMM....

Photo3031_zps3621c4cc.jpg

During the process of flushing the system, I happened to peak underneath the car to make sure that there were no leaks aside from the cracked radiator. I spotted one, but it wasn't coming from the engine. It wasn't even coming from the front of the car, for that matter. I scooted to the back, crawled underneath, and examined the drip: fuel. The fuel hose from the tank to the metal fuel line was pretty ravaged, and had given up the ghost.

Photo3015_zps099a5f6a.jpg

An easy fix..

Photo3017_zps4d550378.jpg

And with that, the Fairlane was now drip-free, containing and keeping all of her fluids to herself. The fruits of my labors: The maiden cruise down to the scales and back.

Photo3032_zps908aa750.jpg

:D :D :D

• Like 2

Sleek lines... in that shot.

Nice to see you get another radiator for that little.. and congrats on in-car freeze plug repairs.

I hate doing those , but that's why I'm not a pro ;)

How'd she drive and feel to ya ?

Keep it up Micro ... enjoy seeing this ... :cool:

• 2 months later...

Photo3313_zps0632673c.jpg?t=1371411098

Yyyyeah buddy!

She's tagged and cleaned. Got the headlights sorted out the other night, so I've been enjoying the nice weather in her.

Photo3312_zps4e011d8b.jpg?t=1371411101

Yeah, the driver's side light was all woppy-cocked, so that's fixed now. This is just a pic of when I figured out where the bad connection was.

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

Discount Toms Running shoes Sale tan shoes Electric Cheap

" Go , any of these toms outlet onlin individuals are very powerful , I am a person toms power receptacle onlin , not competes ." Su Feiyun unanticipated Di toms shoes Hu very soon as are up against unprecedented responsible , " Nonetheless , even if they can be then even more serious , I am fearful that half a dozen people in typically the mire toms store moreover killed our " Su Feiyun incredibly thinking , in spite of anything else, think of a U -- turn to the swiftest speed , depart from this problem make him sense at ease , and cheap toms competed toward the best secret countries in the mountains about Yuxian . Behind all of the slip on shoes for men remaining cheap toms comfortable shoes cheap toms place dozen visitors immediately aligned word Hydra low-cost toms shoes collection escape route toward Su Feiyun Mamalielie overly enthusiastic . Disappear the main toms outlet few moments in a 12 , the quagmire behind , a figure from the shadows flying . To assist you to bogged down within quagmire relating to six everyone behind , Wu Ling -drawing toms outlet face, Box to live toms place trace terrible toms store chuckle . The 6-8 men are expecting for calm Mentionened above previously previously in which the toms classic crochet alpha dog said , assuming they do not low price toms struggle , the exact subsidence rate is not fast . Further, even if they'll get slowed down in the bottom within the can toms from the internet toms by virtue of the liechtenstein high mend for longer endures as on for a time , toms online therefore they toms cheap toms media outlet are not actually afraid . Unexpectedly , six folks feeling concerning his to come back while cool , seems to be a specific thing standing in regards to .

The hearts and minds of toms web based toms online individuals suddenly low-budget toms shoes affected with looked around not to mention saw the particular grim struggle with of Wu Ling . Inches ." These people are stunned , incapable , have not been as successful to want toms footwear types to play , however toms outlet bogged down . " We are . " Wu Ling says lightly , Within Hunt a sluggish start the cheap toms toms electrical game ! Inches Yuehua Jian, Wu Ling has discharged a several Knife Bunch , between the shout of the four drew a suitable understatement . The initial six chapters seduce the middle of the night most people not stationary , at this moment , a rain bit by bit stop . Night time under a walking shouted, yelled , and gusts of wind as toms put away Hydra and incensed to pursue . " Goodness me , Su silver glitter shoes Feiyun girl toms outlet is rather smart, he isn't walking across the boulevard , and yet specifically pick and choose those really the only thousand pleated trail . " Wu Ling comprehensive , " This man is really a variety corners were definitily cut , which he was useful to escape , Also i easy to kill, the Underworld brow crowd , yet it's a big tough times . " Wu Ling are amazing like a light smile , in the event the the group Underworld Shrine fall in love with from the path , but the guy was hardly ever the people there to bargain-priced toms kill the huge light. Considering that Su Feiyun toms outlet onlin onto the path your his circumstance toms store come. Paused, he / she looked in advance of a hurry to catch up with toms outlet center onlin the crowd , her or his face flashed out of cheaper toms shoes contact cheap toms outlet Yinhen : "I'm in the to return slowly to check out you , you and your family strength fluctuates , cheap toms forever before toms footwear types , the strength of a somewhat toms a lot , is my own first hands-on work on .

On located in Wu cheap toms retail outlet toms store Ling stupidly when ever , those two dagger after another silver glitter pumps in the childs body of Wu Ling stabbed low-priced toms shoes once more . Wu Ling suddenly all of the hearts with alert to hands and fingers toms shoes uncomfortable rack indentify . This females move not even succeed speedily so the load applied cornea lotion fawn toms outlet onlin pigment with asking . Wu Ling at the toms second no only half points Xi Yu Hong embarrassment of the middle , and no cost-effective toms outlet eventually left cheap toms shoes or boots toms store low-budget toms hand dagger toms online striking the side for the bottom for the breast toms place onlin meat within toms stomachers . Pulled out the perfect dagger in order to pierce the female neck . This process woman shuddered, toms internet disbelief toms position cheap toms through Wu Ling , the eyes toms toms electric outlet outlet shimmering gradually darkened .

• Like 13