My 83 nissan 720

Wormdrive66

Hello, 

been lurking around for a while and finally signed up and thought I would share my 83 nissan 720. Just picked it up a few weeks back. 140,000 miles, original paint, Interior is immaculate. Needs a new rear bumper and a few other small things. I'm hoping I can find a nice set of rims in the future also.

Thanks for the space,

720.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

140K? Time to re-torque your head gasket. This is a common problem with the Z24 motors. Owners are advised to re-torque the head every tune up. No-one ever does and most second owners don't know of it. Most 3rd and 4th owners don't even know what a gasket is and these great little trucks get parked and or scrapped.

It's easy. On a cold motor remove the valve cover and loosen one bolt at a time and immediately tighten to 60 ft lbs. You can do in any order you like.

Now check or better yet replace the transmission and differential oil. Remember what I said about previous owners. The trans and diff oil should be changed every 30K, so want to bet it has the original oil in it? GL-4 or anything marked 'yelow metal safe' NOT GL-5!!! GL-5 is only for the differential. 80w90 is fine for both.

Replace the anti freeze/coolant it has a expiry date of 3-5 years depending on brand. Good coolant goes a long way to preventing a rusty block and blocked rad.

Probably time for the valves to be checked or set the clearance. On a hot motor it's 0.012" for both intake and exhaust. 

The ST models had some nice factory mags. Also the dash had the optional clock and tach which will just plug into yours. They often had a console and 4x4 oil pressure and volt gauges in them.

That is one clean truck.

Wow thanks for all the info :-) I did the motor oil and antifreeze and was planning on checking the valve clearance. (sounds a little clicky too me) I bet you are correct about the diff and tranny oil, I had not even thought about that. It has been parked for about 5 years so I need to go over everything twice.

One thing that has been bugging me is on cold start up it revs kind of high until it heats up. Once it warms up it kicks down to normal idle. Is there an idle screw for when it is in choke mode?  I took a quick look but nothing jumped out at me.

Rims are going to have to wait until I win the lottery or something. lol   I spotted a set of old school Hurricane rims on Ebay I thought would look really cool.

These days most people are used to turn the key start and drive EFI cars, but back in the days of the carburetor the air mixture was mechanically richened, and to speed the warm up, a fast idle was used. If you adjust the idle lower the plugs will foul and it won't run as well. It's totally normal to rev between 1,800 and 2,200 rpm on fast idle. After the initial start up you can just 'tap the gas' slightly and the idle will drop so you can put an automatic in gear. For a standard this wouldn't matter.

• Like 1

Wow, this is definitely one of the cleaner 720s out there. Nice truck  :thumbup: 

Also, I wasn't aware that there were '83 "Nissan" 720s.. I always thought they started badging them Nissans around 84.. 

Learned something new today..

And I'm diggin' those fender emblems  B) 

• Like 1

I think the earlier '81-'82s had DATSUN stamped in the tailgate and a decal saying by NISSAN  below it on the right? These also had front fender emblems that said DATSUN with by NISSAN directly below in smaller letters.

Thanks guys.

I bought it just the way it sits, just took the dorky tool box off to save all the crackheads the need to break it open. I just emailed a guy about some hurricane rims on craigslist :-)  Took it for a cruise around town today and had a blast. Forgot what a real car felt like. I have been driving a Volvo for the past 15 years.

Not really sure at this point. I am torn between painting the stock rims to match the body and adding the chrome rings or putting on some aftermarket wheels. I am afraid the steering and gearing will be all goofy if I switch to 15" tires, and I kind of like the stock look. Maybe some better tires and drop it a few inches?

I personally don't like looking at lug nuts, one time a few years ago I welded 3 nuts on the rims so I could use 620 stainless steel hubcaps and I did use beauty rings also, it looked alright, it was a lot better than looking at the lug nuts.

BTW, I only was off on one wheel, one hubcap went slightly up and down as the truck rolled down the road.  :rofl:

• Like 1
Not really sure at this point. I am torn between painting the stock rims to match the body and adding the chrome rings or putting on some aftermarket wheels. I am afraid the steering and gearing will be all goofy if I switch to 15" tires, and I kind of like the stock look. Maybe some better tires and drop it a few inches?

The only thing that will throw the gearing or the speedometer off is if you select a tire that has a larger or smaller diameter than what you have now. 14 or 15 inch rims don't enter into it.

The stock tire on the 720 is a 195/75R14. This 14" rim size tire is

7.68" wide

25.52" tall

If you buy a 195/75R15 tire and mount on a 15" rim it will be

7.68 wide

25.75" tall (within a 1/4" not worth worrying about)

190/70R15

7.48" wide

25.47" tall (within .05" nothing)

205/65R15

8.07" wide

25.49" tall (within .03" nothing)

• 2 weeks later...

Evening Rats!!

Been sick so I have not done much lately. Just changed all the Tranny and Diff fluids, checked the valve lash. Had to adjust 2 of the valves a teeny bit and I also noticed someone has had the head off at one time. Truck runs great other than the mild valve noise(clicky). Is it normal for the nap z to be a little noisey in the vave train? It's been so many years since I have owned a japanese car, I might just be trippin? Fresh oil has improved it quite a bit also.

A good friend sent me this shirt the other day and I thought you guys might like it.

Next on my list is to ditch the stock radio and maybe a couple of 10's under the seat. Anyone looking for a stock am/fm cassette deck?

shirt.jpg

Are you using 91 octane gas? Could cause some pinging if your not

Thanks Guys,

I was just talking about that possibility with a friend. I noticed it was a little worse after my wife took it out for the day, started missing and popping off idle also. She had just filled up with crappy am/pm gas. I'm goint to fill up with some good stuff and see if it makes any differance.