620 hit the dyno

metalmonkey47

:yawn:  Kinda sucked, but it was a great experience! I'll go back in a month-2 when the stroker is in.  :thumbup:

_DSC0036-1_zps957b746c.jpg

Kinda confirms my suspicion that I'm losing a LOT of power somewhere. We only ran to 5300 since they were a little concerned about running it any higher, and I didn't want to risk it hurting anything, even though i'm sure it's fine. No biggie. I've been getting more transmission noise out of it, so I didn't want to break that either. It wouldn't have continued building power past that I don't think, so it's not hurting anything really. I'm happy to see it's consistent, but it sucks that it's so down on power. No matter, the LZ will make a LOT more power I imagine. 

mattall_zps84c67c66.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice flat torque from 2 to almost 4 but the hp looks like it hit a wall right about there.

Was that a 3rd gear run? Should be in 4th.

Can you list what you've got and done to it.?

The torque was what i was really happy with, but the HP was somewhat of a shocker. 

So far it is

150PSI compression (Average +- about 5 between cylinders)

Stock U67 Head

Matchbox dizzy with aftermarket coil

13 degree's timing

EGR free intake

Shorty header

Fresh Weber 32/36

I've always suspected that I'm losing power somewhere and this confirms it. 

Who cares, it's still a bad ass truck regardless

Thanks! It will be even better with the LZ :P

Push the throttle harder?.., kettlemonkey,,, ..did you actuly say do it easier at the beginning of the run? I call shenanigans. .. you took a dive.

It was FLAT out the whole way. The other guy was asking me about gear choice, i said I wanted to go easier on it. it's been making noise in a few gears and I didn't want to blow up my 5 speed

The torque was what i was really happy with, but the HP was somewhat of a shocker. 

So far it is

150PSI compression (Average +- about 5 between cylinders)

Stock U67 Head

Matchbox dizzy with aftermarket coil

13 degree's timing

EGR free intake

Shorty header

Fresh Weber 32/36

I've always suspected that I'm losing power somewhere and this confirms it. 

Thanks! It will be even better with the LZ :P

How do the plugs look. Lean maybe? Motors make more power slightly rich than lean. Maybe larger secondary jet? Is the secondary opening???? is the primary full open when the peddle is to the floor. Take a look

Try running more advance... if it pings then you had it right. I've driven a retarded motor... runs just fine but just severely lacking power.

Who cares, it's still a bad ass truck regardless

And sounds awesome too!!! I don't hear any pinging or missing, seems to be running right.

It was FLAT out the whole way. The other guy was asking me about gear choice, i said I wanted to go easier on it. it's been making noise in a few gears and I didn't want to blow up my 5 speed

Running third gear puts a huge load on the counter shaft and all the bearings. Fourth gear isn't even a gear.... The transmission is directly connected along the mainshaft from the clutch to the drive shaft. Power is transmitted straight through the transmission. 4th is the way to go. .

How do the plugs look. Lean maybe? Motors make more power slightly rich than lean. Maybe larger secondary jet? Is the secondary opening???? is the primary full open when the peddle is to the floor. Take a look

Try running more advance... if it pings then you had it right. I've driven a retarded motor... runs just fine but just severely lacking power.

And sounds awesome too!!! I don't hear any pinging or missing, seems to be running right.

Running third gear puts a huge load on the counter shaft and all the bearings. Fourth gear isn't even a gear.... The transmission is directly connected along the mainshaft from the clutch to the drive shaft. Power is transmitted straight through the transmission. 4th is the way to go. .

Plugs are a light golden brownish when I had them out last ( a few weeks ago) and you can see in the video it's not really burning oil even under full throttle at heavy load. They offered for an extra few bucks to stick an 02 in the exhaust and map that out on the dyno, but I don't think it's necessary since the motors coming out for a larger one, so I can do it at that time.

I've played with timing advance, and I've advanced it up to 20 degrees static with no ping, but I lost a TON of power. 

I just don't understand WHY if it's running so well, it's so low on power. Timing would make sense, but at the same time I drive around with a 10mm wrench so I can make adjustments anywhere I go, and I never make any more power then I am now. It just runs so damn good and consistent.

if you're truck has 50hp

chances are my 510 has even less.

even if it were 50hp, I'd say my 510 does pretty good.  :thumbup:

How much did the dyno cost you?

At least you're lighter :P haha it's pretty terrible man! It's slow, but now I know it's actually REALLY slow!

Dyno was only $45 for 3 pulls  :thumbup:

At least you're lighter :P haha it's pretty terrible man! It's slow, but now I know it's actually REALLY slow!

Dyno was only $45 for 3 pulls  :thumbup:

But im plagued with a auto tranny  :blush:

cruising at 65 is terrible lol.

thats pretty cheap, now to find a dyno around me.. :w00t:

Check cam timing? TDC and the cam should look like...

motorLcamtiming.jpg

Mike! I think you may be close sir. Someone put the cam gear a total 180 on the indexing holes on the cam gear. I don't even see the bright link on the timing chain here either. This is @ TDC on the compression stroke.

IMAG0465_zpsb25560ad.jpg

IMAG0466_zpsa222362e.jpg

Now that I look at it, it seems like the cam is timed right, since both lobes are matched and closed, so maybe my issue is somewhere else? I dunno, feedback anyone? 

The bright links are for when installing. The L20B is 44 links between the crank and the sprocket marks. The chain has a total of 100 or more links and the cam sprocket  40 teeth so it will only align every several hundred turns????(I don't know)

MM I would get a flashlight and a mirror and get a look down behind the cam sprocket. The cam thrust washer, this thing...

Lcamthrustplate.jpg

Has a small horizontal etch mark on it. The cam sprocket has a notch that has to be below or just to the right of it for proper cam timing.

Yours looks close, really hard to tell. But you must be at exactly TDC to get a good reading. A worn or loose chain would advance the cam timing, closing the intake too soon which would affect high RPM power. (In truth I don't think it would account for 40 more hp)