Pretty sure alternator just died...

Kirden

Alright, I had asked about the alternator upgrade about two weeks ago and looked over all the info I could find and what happens this morning? Stop to get gas and I don't have enough power to crank the truck. Solo push start (glad it was a flat parking lot) and get home, not even enough power to turn it over and the lights are very dim. Shadows were being cast in front of my headlights by the streetlights...

The reason I think it is the alternator and not the battery is that my charge light has been blinking furiously since I got the truck. Lately it has been staying on for longer periods of time and this week it is on for about 60-70% of my trip to work, which is a 40 minute drive one way. I know I should have checked into it more seriously but I procrastinated. Flame away.

I'm gonna go have the battery checked today, but if it is in fact the alternator, I guess I will be doing an alternator upgrade. I am thinking the KA truck alternator will be the easiest after everything I have read but please correct me if I am wrong.

I have work again tonight and no place near where I live has an alternator for the 620 in stock, so I am just trying to find the fastest way to get back on the road.

I think my venting is over. Have to say, push starting the truck is easier than any vehicle I have ever owned. I didn't know how light it really was till I pushed it off with one leg from inside the cab :P

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just be leqary of Vato zone parts or even O riley parts.

My Vato zoem starter is going out already and I dont think its even 2 years old.

I got one from O rileys and going to put it in this weekend maybe if I can make it as the Vatozone one is loading down really bad.

The O riley one said remanufactured in Malaysia.

Back in the old days Schucks had them remade there and Im sure its the same place, meaning it wont last long

the 78/79 200sx Alt should be a bolt in since you dont the wire jumper conversion already.

The t plug of coarse is the same.

cant rememebr if you use the L20 belt or L16/18 belt as you know the bigger alt might hit the idler arm .

I don't have the time to worry about mounting and wiring the saturn alt, so I'm gonna grab that 200sx one. I don't plan to have a large sound system and halogens annoy me, so hopefully a 60 amp will work. I'll probably grab an OEM one (not a reman) as soon as it comes in, but the reman will get to to work for today which was the main issue :P

Bleach said to use the 200sx belt so I will pick one up and try to document the swap. It is strange that vatozone stocks this, no other parts store in my area keeps anything in stock for pre 90s imports.

Your '74 has an external alternator. The '78 200sx is internally regulated, so the plug for the ext. regulatir will need two wires jumped together to make it work.

I see the charge light was on and off. This could be a burned or loose fusible link near the battery making intermittant contact. A new alt won't fix this.

For what its worth.

If you're going to buy a new alternator, just get a 720 alternator.  Its smaller, bolts in and its IR regulated.  All datsuns I have done this conversion to, have accepted it. Even the A14 in my B210. Tho the top bolt that goes to the adjuster was on the wrong side. So I did need to goto the hardware store and buy a nut & lock washer.  Cost about a dollar.

Luckily datsun used pretty much the same colored wires for their cars.  So finding a 510 IR alt upgrade diagram worked fine.  You just jump two wires (and you can do this without hacking your wiring, so you can always go back to stock).  Takes about 4 minutes longer than just swapping in a stock ER alt. 

There's tons of pics and info out there, btw the stock average 720 alternator is 50amp vs stock 620 35amp.  You can get higher or lower amp alts, too. 

For what its worth.

If you're going to buy a new alternator, just get a 720 alternator.  Its smaller, bolts in and its IR regulated.  All datsuns I have done this conversion to, have accepted it. Even the A14 in my B210. Tho the top bolt that goes to the adjuster was on the wrong side. So I did need to goto the hardware store and buy a nut & lock washer.  Cost about a dollar.

Luckily datsun used pretty much the same colored wires for their cars.  So finding a 510 IR alt upgrade diagram worked fine.  You just jump two wires (and you can do this without hacking your wiring, so you can always go back to stock).  Takes about 4 minutes longer than just swapping in a stock ER alt. 

There's tons of pics and info out there, btw the stock average 720 alternator is 50amp vs stock 620 35amp.  You can get higher or lower amp alts, too. 

Yea, I was trying to find the fastest possible solution but it looks like I won't make it to work now. I tried to find a 720 alt, but the only easily swapable alternator that was in stock locally was one for the 200sx.

So far on the swap the 200sx alternator fits, bolts in easily all but the adjuster. The adjuster turns up away from the alt slightly, I need it to turn down and follow the body of the alt. I think I can flip it and it will work perfectly, but I can't get the bolt out that holds it in due to the fan pulley. Have one hour before I am supposed to leave for work.

^^^ Understandable. 

When mine shit out I was in the drive thru at BK.  What a bitch that was.  Called the taxi company to come give me a jump.  The alt still worked at high RPMS, but wasn't for shit at anything under 2-3krpm.  Revved that bitch out all the way home, got an alt the next morning and installed it before heading to work. 

Mine works between at lower rpms. The charge light never comes on between 40 and 50 in 4th gear, but as soon as I hit 50-70 is blinks or stays on. Same through lower gears. My drive to work is over twenty miles on i-16 each way, so staying between 40 and 50 isn't really possible.

I think it is gunked up. Truck kinda told me this when I grabbed it and it had a ton of goop on it. Found out I was not only losing coolant from the radiator (no coolant overflow) but I also had a leak at the bottom of the lower water neck, right above the alternator.

I thought about rebuilding the old one, but looking at it, it is a world reman, malasia...

I found the 50/60 amp 720 alt was the same size as the 710. I'm guessing that the 200sx is als but could be wrong. It did not fit the 620 very well. Bleach did have a 620 so if he said it fit then I guess it did.

I'll look around for a picture of the 620 fusible links. Marr connectors and crimps tells me that something was monkied with.

May be better to take some pictures of what you have and post them. Someone may notice something not obvious.

If it's turning the light on at higher speeds, that's usually brush float. I've had a couple remanned alternators do that, they soldered the "new" brushes in with way too short of wires so as the brushes wore down, the wires would pull the brush away from the commutator. I fixed one by resoldering the wire longer, that worked for a while.

Thanks for the info Hainz, here is what I have wire wise and other pictures:

SAM_0172_zpsf7b4285b.jpg

SAM_0173_zpsaec7ab9c.jpg

SAM_0174_zps38afbbc9.jpg

Adjuster arm problem

SAM_0175_zps19241c1f.jpg

Remove radiator and fan to flip the adjuster arm.

Here is my rigged wiring:

Power from Battery, not sure where the wire goes.

SAM_0176_zps5f405745.jpg

Ground from battery:

SAM_0177_zpsb5605b65.jpg

SAM_0178_zpsc804f489.jpg

Rigged T connector:

SAM_0179_zps2a180ce2.jpg

SAM_0178_zpsc804f489.jpg

That box at the top is your external regulator. It needs to be disconnected (the round plug) and two pair of wires jumpered together for the internal regulated alternator to work.

On my 710s I pulled the regulator off, cut the wires off the plug and joined YELLOW and WHITE together then the WHITE/BLACK to the WHITE/RED

710IRaltswap013Large.jpg

The old plug now just connects to the engine harness.

710IRaltswap014Large.jpg

This is for the PL510 but good enough for the early 620 also.

510iraltswap.jpg

Take note that doing this will apply power from the white wire to the choke heater relay coil and it will be permanently ON and drain the battery. My fix is to remove the relay and connect the BLUE choke heater wire on the carb to the BLUE idle cut solenoid wire at the carb.

Everything works normally.

yeah this is getting confusing.

I thought you have already done the alternator wire jumper conversion on another thread. earlier(saturn alternator???)

Now I see the  photo of the external Volt reg still plugged in to it.

If the jumpers werent installed and you ran a Internal volt reg with the external maybe that why the light came on.its getting double regulated fighting each other.

OK since that volt reg looks new I would  NOT< NOT cut the connector off as datzenmike shows. just get 2 wires and since the 620 uses a round volt reg connector get some bullet connector ends and then put it in the engine side connector.  usse the colors from the engine side of the harness.  as I seen the correct color on the volt regs but were wrong goin into the harness.

Save the external volt, reg in case you want to go back. to a external type alternator.

really all you needed was a 610 or 710 50amper  external say 75,76 maybe 77 year. and you could still use the external volt reg. as the Alterntor you have is the same size.

make this simple just buy a 35amper like you had and live with it.

also with the adjust arm as shown do you think inverting it will make it better as the curve will be oppiste and hit the case before it can even reach the hole??????????

Oh no, this is the conversion. The old alt was external, I have another voltage regulator that I am modifying the connector from. jump 4 of the wire and cap the remaining two. I have a picture of it somewhere. I won't start the truck till I have the voltage regulator bypassed.

Alternator is on, jumper is complete, battery is charging atm.

I'm gonna eat some pizza and work on school work. Thanks for all the help everyone, you guys are the best. I will update this if I end up having any issues out of the new alternater.