Buying parts for the sake of buying cheap parts when you dont really need parts...

Ok so I notice how Rockauto has some really cheap prices on parts. There are parts I need (slave clutch) parts i dont need (brake pads) and parts I dont know about (starter, alt, clutch and brake MC) so do I snap up as much as I can and horde it?

I also dont know whom to trust when buying parts sometimes. Most times there are only a few companies and I stick with what Ive gotten locally from my auto stores (ACDelco, Fel-Pro, Beck) Other times I am tempted to go the cheaper route (mostly with rubber seals or small items)

Take for instance I wanted to get a valve cover gasket (to adjust valves) and I almost bought a whole engine gasket kit, $40 more then my original purchase. Is this something you guys do? I didnt buy it because I figured the 510 was a little more popular in Canada and anything to do with the L16 I hope I can round up locally when I need it.

So I ask;

1. What do you stock up on from Rockauto? Gaskets? Oil Filters?

2. What do you keep on hand for an emergency? Starter?

3. What should I personally have on stock having no history of my 620, no idea if everything is original (pretty sure it is) and no idea what could go soon?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you keep on hand for an emergency?Pay a little extra on insurance and get the roadside assistance option.

I've got BCAA (like your AAA) and it did save me when my driveshaft u-joint blewup 200km from home. Free tow. :)

What more insurance do you buy, or are you saying; when you pay more you get this option.

From what I have seen most people on Ratsun keep either 3 spare car/trucks/both worth of parts in a "parts" car in their garage/yard/lean-to.

Personally I like having a fuel filter, oil filter, fuel pump, alternator, gasket marker sealant, some fuel hose, vacuum hose, hose clamps, and a spare tire or two on my other rims. That pretty much covers most things. Oh, and I have a spare battery.

I've got BCAA (like your AAA) and it did save me when my driveshaft u-joint blewup 200km from home. Free tow. :) What more insurance do you buy, or are you saying; when you pay more you get this option.

Yes, basically it is an option that typically costs 5 or 10 dollars [depending on whether your company does a 6 or 12 month period] and does what AAA or in your case BCAA does. They probably contract with the same roadside aid companies. So, you don't get free road maps or offers for ocean cruises, but it works when you really and truly need it.

If I were you I'd think more about catching up on maintenance often neglected by the previous owner. New fluids in the rear end and tranny, break fluid flush, clutch fluid flush, and new coolant.

But an extra fuel filter and fuses in the glove box is also a good idea.

I also like to carry a basic tool kit and a couple jacks with me. Wheel chocks, fire extinguisher, jumper cables, and some extra fluids couldn't hurt either. Basically just be prepared for whatever happens haha the reason I now carry 2 jacks is I found out if I get a flat in the front I have to jack the frame up before I can fit a jack under the truck to remove the wheel.

Have you checked the shipping costs from Rockauto to Canada????

I have...not good

I.E......67 bucks for KYB inserts....86 to ship...WTF.... :blink: ....roll the dice on any custom/duty charges.

Here those inserts cost 140 plus taxes

USPS is the best though.

Do not use FedEx or UPS

510 brake shoes you ask????.....under 20 bucks.....30 to ship....on and on

50 bucks at my parts store

'Cheaper' to buy local.....support you local sheriff....errrr...parts store that is... :D

I always carry tools, fire extinguisher and a spare tire.... BCAA is a must....one tow will cost more than a years membership

I carry in my truck: spare coil, fuel filters, capacitors (5 - they don't last), fan belt, distributor cap, electrical wire, coolant, tool box, 12v neon light, tow strap - and Panzer, my pet Doberman for company and security!

If I were you I'd think more about catching up on maintenance often neglected by the previous owner. New fluids in the rear end and tranny, break fluid flush, clutch fluid flush, and new coolant.

But an extra fuel filter and fuses in the glove box is also a good idea.

I also like to carry a basic tool kit and a couple jacks with me. Wheel chocks, fire extinguisher, jumper cables, and some extra fluids couldn't hurt either. Basically just be prepared for whatever happens haha the reason I now carry 2 jacks is I found out if I get a flat in the front I have to jack the frame up before I can fit a jack under the truck to remove the wheel.

I have done all the routine, I had to get an Out Of Province inspection to legalize the truck in BC. I basically rebuilt the whole front end, all new bushings and rubber, new driveshaft and u-joints, new brakes, etc. But then it sat for a few months. Now that I DD the truck I am noticing little things, like the leaky clutch slave. I dont want to go out and buy say a starter, when I need other things, like parts for my Ruckus :p

Have you checked the shipping costs from Rockauto to Canada????

I have...not good

I.E......67 bucks for KYB inserts....86 to ship...WTF.... :blink: ....roll the dice on any custom/duty charges.

Here those inserts cost 140 plus taxes

USPS is the best though.

Do not use FedEx or UPS

510 brake shoes you ask????.....under 20 bucks.....30 to ship....on and on

50 bucks at my parts store

'Cheaper' to buy local.....support you local sheriff....errrr...parts store that is... :D

I always carry tools, fire extinguisher and a spare tire.... BCAA is a must....one tow will cost more than a years membership

This is why I have an address in Blaine WA. I ship everything there and when I have 5-6 packages I go down and get them. Mind you I was living in Vancouver so it was a 30min trip for me. Now I am in Vernon, but I still ship there and go down frequently.

Basically I am asking; how reliable are some of the bigger parts?

1. The starter

2. Brake MC, each wheel piston (already had a shoe retention pin/spring go)

3. Clutch MC

4. Clutch slave (thats leaking)

5. Alt

6. Stock? 4spd tranny

7. Welded rearend

My electrical is kinda touchy, I have lost the Running Lights setting on my light switch. Hopefully its fixable.

every time I see a deal on ebay I grab it .spark plus, water pumps , hoses, every thing if the price is right and you have stuff the auto parts store dont have in stock .Napa called me looking for Z su rebuild kits LOL true story I know the guys and they know am into datsuns B)

every time I see a deal on ebay I grab it .spark plus, water pumps , hoses, every thing if the price is right and you have stuff the auto parts store dont have in stock .Napa called me looking for Z su rebuild kits LOL true story I know the guys and they know am into datsuns B)

Ok ha thats pretty rad.

If the part is made in Japan its a good part.Nabco/Tokico soem are boxed in BeckArnley boxes. but its a freee for all now.

Some are now Taiwan. last 5 years I see alot of the jap made timming kits dry up ect.

Key in buying rock auto is see where it ships from . If you look closely you can tell if it comes from the same warehouse.. Thats where you save the money on shipping. or buy alot of the same part also.

Valave cover gaskets I use the Felpro from O rileys as they carry them.

I have got alot of brake parts form Rockauto adnd alwasy but 2. Like Master cylinder clutch master and slaves as most are made in Taiwain or Italy now. Rarely get 5 years out of them.

I just ordered 2 set of NGK wire sets from amazon. over 25 dol it was free shipping and the wires were 19$ so I said hell by 2 to get the shipiing. I noice on Amazon if you look first then the later look again the price goes up.(like they know you interested and youll take it later at 3$ more).

MY Favorite was Mr Auto-parts.com but they went defunct. They listed the place of orgin and prices where got for dealer parts. Rocker arms for the L motor was cheap 11-13$ apc. for Atsugi , also Water pumps. koyosan fuel pumps ect.

importedcarparts.com was good also but No longer around also. I bought up the Tsabaki timming sets. These are the good ones! perfect Nissan replacements.

partstrain.com has some good stuff

importrp.com has Daiken clutches and others.

hope this helps but get spare hydralic replacement parts.It sure come in handy.

alternator the Orileys seem to be better but the nissan rebuilds are the best That I have seen for me but now the prices are so high its almost cheaper to upgrade to the newer KA alternators and do the conversions.

TSI automotive sells a Gear reduction stater that should out last the car itself but at 200$ most ratsun members will not buy it.

I just ordered 2 set of NGK wire sets from amazon. over 25 dol it was free shipping and the wires were 19$ so I said hell by 2 to get the shipiing. I noice on Amazon if you look first then the later look again the price goes up.(like they know you interested and youll take it later at 3$ more).

Wires.....for?

PS My Vatozone starter.....

Vatozone..LOL!

My strategy with parts for my truck is to buy cheap off the wall stuff I probably will need at RockAuto (usually) instead of stocking up on common stuff I can get elsewhere. The back brake adjusters for 720 drums are a good example. You can't find those things anywhere, but RockAuto had them for $5 a piece! IMHO, they were a rebadged Nissan part, and totally worth the money. They were made in Japan and they work and fit great. There is no way in hell I was going to pay $60 a piece at the dealer for those.

I'll wait on other stuff if it's within fifteen bucks and readily available after factoring in RockAuto's sometimes ridiculous shipping..

I'll also stock up on pocket sized small parts from the junkyard as I'm sure most of us here do .. :P