Sam's 85 720 ST

Samuel

Hello all, new member here but I've been lurking about ratsun forums picking up info on different topics and what nots. I actually found this forum doing some research on a potential buy for a 510. Though the title says I didn't buy it...

Instead. I bought a factory stock 1985 Nissan 720 ST king cab.

The truck was second owned, from what I could tell by the title was it was bought orginally in 87. Then sold to the guy I bought it from in 1990. Its got 232K miles but atleast 40K of those miles were tag along miles behind an RV. Idk much about the first owner but the second owner kept every receipt from any service work or parts bought. So I got a good amount of return history to check upon if needed. Oh, it also came with a full tank of fuel. bonus?

So far from what I've concluded about the ST compared to the other 2wd versions, is this came with all the extra's. Including the working oil and voltage consel gauges from the 4x4. Pop top sun roof, and a 6 bolt NRG style nissan steering wheel. So far I havent found anything else out of the ordinary. When I do found out some more, I'll definetly post about it. Btw bought the truck for 1400 and drove her home.

So far my only real issues are repairing a valve cover leak, and I have some rust spots that need attending to.

Potential plans so far seem to be, addressing current issues, lower it, maybe some diamond style race steelies? Roll pan, then later possible ka24e block, matted to a DOHC head, fueled by R1 carbs. But those are future plans not current.

Enough with my babbling. Heres the pics!

IMAG0020.jpg

IMAG0021.jpg

IMAG0017.jpg

Check out the awesome included CB radio. lol. That probably wont stay though.

IMAG0018.jpg

They kept a protector on the dash to keep it from drying it out and cracking. Job well done I must say.

IMAG0019.jpg

I'll get more pics later when I get the chance.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. Yeah, forgot about the power windows. Power locks too, but their that style when you lock one, other locks too. I've seen some datsun 720's with the clock and tach, and some with out, wasn't sure really on that part though. She's not perfect though, theres some rust around the sun roof on the passanger side that will need to be tended to. but overall, I feel good about the buy.

Some of the extras that "ST" models also came with were the alloy wheels, premium cloth interior, tilt steering, rear seat belt hanger hooks, dash trim (either wood grain or stainless trim) , extra FM antenna in the front windshield, rear window defroster (on some king cab ST's), wheel well trim, tailgate trim piece with small Nissan lettering, rear tool organizer that hung on the back wall of the King Cabs (which are rare because they always got taken out), side body moldings, & under hood service light.

There maybe a few more but that's off the top of my head.

So I went ahead and did a tune up done, which did liven the engine up alittle more. Though its just not enough, I'm strongly considering the ka243/de swap. In the mean time, got a better side shot and installed a wink for entertainment.

IMAG0041.jpg

IMAG0042.jpg

IMAG0044.jpg

^ this idea fell upon me one day after screwing around and just bought one of those 50 cents fake tattoo's. This kamikaze one came out and for the most part mated well with the glass. Just an idea for those who are apart of the sticker craze.

Depending if the wife allows me and advance in my allowance, I just might be buying a set of these...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pcw-52-5884

Its got alittle ding in it, and I've thought about going with a black bumper to suite another color for the truck. Though I've noticed that alot of 720 bumpers seem to have some type of damage. Its like their deemed with bad luck or something

Yeah, i got over excited when i found one in a jy with ONE tiny ding it. :) I popped the end caps off and they STILL wanted 60$ for the damn thing... i gave them a lot of guff and ended up walking away with two chrome mirrors and the bumper for 40$ :D 

• Like 1
Your bumper looks so much nicer than mine. lol. and i want a sunroof. :(

I do like the sunroof though it has its pain. The seal around this one is become alittle flat and doesn't hold a "tight" seal, but it also isn't leaking air and water just yet. You know they make aftermarket sunroofs, if you want to pay the $$$. I personally like the rag top style sunroofs that pull back, I'd trade mine in for one like that any day, no matter what the cons were.

Looks good , I just painted my high beams yellow this weekend also.

What paint did you use? Even though I used a tint, the glass nips were a bit of a pain with out a heat gun to work the tint on. I haven't gone on too exclusive of a search for the translucent paint, but soon I will be looking for some. I've even thought of breaking the seal loose and painting the lens from the inside to keep outside forces from destroying any tint.

Yeah, i got over excited when i found one in a jy with ONE tiny ding it. :) I popped the end caps off and they STILL wanted 60$ for the damn thing... i gave them a lot of guff and ended up walking away with two chrome mirrors and the bumper for 40$ :D

Lucky you.

Alot of my friends and I seem to like the cheaper pull and pay JY, though you luck isn't always consistent. I've been thinking about trying to find a different style bumper to drift away from the common crowd. Though that type of inspiration usually only falls on me when I'm just walking about the yards and I haven't had much time nor money to do so.

Yeah everytime I find a 720 in the yards the bumper always has some type of damage or its gone already

I'm from south florida, and these little trucks usually don't make it to any yards really. The export of small pick ups out weighs the needs for them in a junkyard usually. In fact, alot of third country families here will pick up any little truck cheap as possible and ship them right out on a crate to their families home. I have a good friend from nicaragua and he's told me stories of the ways they fix vehicles down there. Once his dad and him replaced a head gasket with some type of JB weld and never worried about blown head gaskets again...

What paint did you use? Even though I used a tint, the glass nips were a bit of a pain with out a heat gun to work the tint on. I haven't gone on too exclusive of a search for the translucent paint, but soon I will be looking for some. I've even thought of breaking the seal loose and painting the lens from the inside to keep outside forces from destroying any tint.

This is the paint I used.

DSCN0973.JPG

DSCN0978.JPG

I think it looks good.

DSCN1918.JPG

I agree, it does look good. Any problems with it trying to chip off yet? Or is it still fresh and hasn't had the time to show its color?

I am going on about 8 months now since they were painted, I just went outside and looked at them, other than these tiny little specs of half missing paint, which look like tiny rock chips they are about as good as when I put them on the truck.

DSCN1624.jpg

When driving on with the highbeams, I can see the yellow is the light, but it doesnt increase any visibility really. Its more a form>function thing. Maybe if I were using the yellow HID's it would be better, but yellow lenses don't.