• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not even a comment like:

1. Yeah who isn't

2. I want a wagon!

3. Ur not gittin ur grubby paws on my dogleg

Oh well!!

PSM is a man who replies to his own post better than, as bad as, or worst than someone who laughs at his own joke

I haven't gotten the wagon yet. The guy I am buying it from is keeping his motor and has to pull it still. I found a L20 to put in it and I am trying to find a 5 speed I can put in without cutting up the car, a bolt in, as they say. Hopefully I will have pics soon.

too bad i am temporarily delaying my motor swap. SO keeping my dog leg that's in my wagon. you can't have it ahahaha...

but more seriously i may have it for sale..... but more than likely just swapping L18 and dogleg to my other 510

• 9 months later...

The dogleg only came on the '77-'79 200sx and was a rare optional 5spd on the HLA10 so they are few and far between besides being very well used and passed around.

A much better tranny is the FS5W71B. Stronger by far than the dogleg and more pleantiful with close, mid and wide gear ratios depending what you get it out of. True, you have to shorten the driveshaft, modify the tranny mount and move the shifter hole back a few inches but nothing anyone can see. Besides the car would be more valuable with this tranny installed as the work is already done and replacements are easier to find. It would be the tranny equivelent of finding a 510 converted over to 280zx struts and brakes already.

I have nothing to add aside from a question. My 78 HLA10 has the dog leg 5-speed tranny in it from the factory. Is this the same trans you guys are talking about? If I need to ever replace it will that be a tough thing to find? How durable is the tranny?

Haha, no doubt eh. I dont have a tach in my ride but i dont hear to much of a difference between 4'th and 5th...!

The dogleg has a 0.854 overdrive or 14.6% drop in RPMs over 4th gear. This is a higher overdrive ratio than any of the 5spds found in the 620 trucks, 810/Maxima and the '77 through '79 280 z/zx. It's even higher than the '80-'83 720 2wd trucks and is just under 0.5% of the Roadster 5spd. The only L bolt pattern 5spd higher is the '80-'83 280zx. It may not seem like a lot but it is. Bleach, you're used to the monster o/d in the zx car. In comparison they are 22.7% and 25.5%, huge!

I have nothing to add aside from a question. My 78 HLA10 has the dog leg 5-speed tranny in it from the factory. Is this the same trans you guys are talking about? If I need to ever replace it will that be a tough thing to find? How durable is the tranny?

I would say harder to find because they were only stock on the '77-'79 200sx and a fairly rare option on the HLA10.

The FS5W63A dogleg is adequate for the L20B, just barely. It was designed for motors larger than 1.4 liters but 2 is cutting it close. Not saying it's bad or flawed just that there are stronger ones. The 63 in the FS5W63A means there is 63mm between the main and countershaft. This puts a limit on the bearing sizes that can sit side by side in the case as well as gear diameter. Larger diameter gears with the same number of teeth, will be stronger. In comparison the FS5W71B is much more sturdy but it's longer so a shortened driveshaft will be needed and the shifter hole must be moved back a few inches. Also the FS5W71B has a variety of different gear and overdrive ratios.

I would not worry about the dogleg breaking. If you come across a good deal on an FS5W71B get it and hold in reserve for the day you might loose it. IF you convert over you won't have to worry as much about a replacement.

Mike, I just sent my spare dogleg into the shop for rebuilding. The transmission was designed to work with the L20b also in the A510 and the S110 as that's was in both of those cars from the factory. Andy informed me that as long as your engine makes less than 160hp then the dogleg is fine. Problem with most of them is that they where considered "undesirable" because of the "funny" shift pattern so most people didn't "refresh/rebuild" them and the ones around and available tend to be worn out.

The .854 overdrive works well with lower powered "L" motors in my opinion, the L20b can barely pull the thing on the highway after all in 5th up a grade so if you use the deeper "Z" overdrives you'd best have some more torque from at least a 2.2 of some kind....

The o/d would work better in a lighter sedan or wagon with an automatic rear. Awkward 1st to 2nd around town but where they really shine is racing where first is rarely used, making the 2nd to 3rd shift straight back. Also a quicker shift into 5th on the back straight.

You know Jason, when you were over I missed an opportunity to have a ride in your wagon! With a little whining, maybe I could have tried that 5speed too. :D Was that two or three engine blocks we put in there?

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Jason004Large.jpg[/img]"]Jason004Large.jpg

You know Mike, I should have let you drive the 'goon. You would've been a easy convert! You're right though, the dogleg would be better for the sedans and wagons. The 1 - 2 shift isn't too bad, most of the time you're in the 2-3 range anyhow. The gear ratios for 1-4 match the 4 speed from the PL510 too, not great, but, they work.

We ended up sticking 3 engine blocks back there Mike! I haven't forgotten about the picture, I just cleard away the junk from in front of it and haven't wheeled it out yet!

F4W63 510 4spd and FS5W63A 5spd dogleg. The numbers are so similar, yes the first 4 gears are exactly the same, they are the same length and will swap easily, yet the trannys look nothing like each other! Not even close.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.