Floor pan paint

Just Joel

Took out all the factory sound deadening yesterday in preparation for new paint/sound treatment and was happy with what I found....

2013-01-31_09-51-40_767.jpg

2013-01-31_09-51-17_432.jpg

2013-01-31_12-22-39_362.jpg

2013-01-31_12-22-36_533.jpg

Most of what you see is only scale with the exception of the drivers drain and front seam where there is some very light pitting. That being said, I now want to seal the rust and the rest of the floor but have conflicting information as to how to proceed. POR 15 seems to only work or be warranted if there is significant rust for it to bond to, Zinc based primer and Hammerite has been suggested on the European car forums and my automotive paint guy suggested brushing on epoxy primer (no top coat) after cleaning. So which is best for me considering what I have here? I remember 510keeper suggesting a different product all together at one point but couldn’t find the reference when searching.

Thanks

Joel

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would still por you just have to make sure you prep. All the areas should be roughed up and cleaned. You would have to do this kind of prep no matter what option you choose. 

Por is the best option imho but your going to need at least 2 coats. The 1st will seam really streaky over paint but the 2nd will finish it off nice. 

budget is really less of a concern here than making sure my baby is best taken care of... I've read numerous on line sources that describe por15's ability to bond and prevent corrosion on previously clean panels as less than optimal even when "properly prepped". I assume you have extensive experience with the product? I trust ratsun far more than some Brit's unprofessional opinion.

Ya I have coated quite a few cars in por, a couple are in my build thread. Your going to read a lot of opinions on both sides of the table because its both easy to apply and easy to screw up por15. Its by fat the best option (per cost) out there that I have come across. 

If I remember correctly, por15 recommends using there metal treatment first. I leaves a zinc coating that the por sticks really well to. Also you may want to try a rust converter and a wire wheel. Followed by a zinc primer. Hard to get in California. Your areas look small. That worked well on my smaller spots.

So would a can of prep-powder, a quart of black and quart of red be enough to do the floors in my car? I'd be brushing/rolling the paint on with one coat of black and then one coat of red.

I would think so. I was able to do all 4 sections of the floors with 2 coats with 2 aerosol spray cans. I still had a little left.

Thats one of the major reasons I prefer brush on if the interior is still intact. Over spray is a mist it goes everywhere not just over tape lines. You really have to mask off the entire interior to spray inside and not get over spray anywhere. Maybe not even notice the finest mist either, just may dull things or add a slight annoying texture etc... Not worth it to me. 

Thats one of the major reasons I prefer brush on if the interior is still intact. Over spray is a mist it goes everywhere not just over tape lines. You really have to mask off the entire interior to spray inside and not get over spray anywhere. Maybe not even notice the finest mist either, just may dull things or add a slight annoying texture etc... Not worth it to me.

Agreed...

Alright, I spent some time going through all of the install literature for por15 and from what I can gather, while you can, technically they don’t recommend coating over existing paint...

(from their install pdf)

CAN I APPLY POR-15 OVER OTHER PAINTS?

Yes, but you will lose the important benefits of POR-15. You must

remember that ordinary paints are weakened by exposure to moisture.

POR-15 can’t stop rust if it isn’t in direct contact with the base metal.

So does this mean I need to take the surface down to bare metal? Not sure this is worth it considering the factory primer did such a good job preserving the metal in the first place.

Thanks

Joel

No that means they are covering their ass. If you paint over paint, the base coat is still whats coating the metal. All you have done by poring is encapsulate it all. That on a good base coat is fine but if the base coat is compromised the por isnt going to do anything about it.

It's not specific to por. think about a traditional paint job. You clear a base coat to protect it right? Well is that going to stop rust bubbles if the base coat wasn't done properly? Of course not. 

You just need to make sure the base coat is good, which it looks like it is. W/e isnt, like loose or bubbled up stuff just needs to be chipped up and removed. 

And further product research on their site found this...

Question & Answers

I’ve been using POR-15 Rust Preventive Paint for years. Can I

use ChassisCoat Black instead and get the same rust protection?

No. You can use ChassisCoat Black on bare steel and get rust

protection, but nothing like POR-15 Rust Preventive Paint, which

penetrates into the pores of the metal and chemically bonds with the

surface. Use ChassisCoat Black over POR-15 to get the best

possible protection.

Come on now! I’ve put ChassisCoat Black on bare steel and have

gotten a terrifi c bond. It sure looks as good as a POR-15 coating on

bare metal or steel. Isn’t it just possible you’re only trying to sell me

another can of paint?

Absolutely not! Side-by-side panels were tested under a variety of

conditions, and POR-15 was shown to be clearly superior in

preventing oxidation and corrosion. Try it yourself and you’ll see.

Though ChassisCoat Black will easily out-perform other coatings on

bare steel, it’s greatest value and best use is as a topcoat over

POR-15 Rust Preventive Paint. We don’t classify it as a rustpreventive

coating except in its use as a non-porous topcoat made to

keep moisture from penetrating through it.

How does ChassisCoat Black work over other painted surfaces?

Very, very well. There are many occasions when you want

corrosion protection over a painted surface where you can’t remove

the old paint. Just clean that surface with a water-based cleaner,

then topcoat with ChassisCoat Black.

So what I'm thinking now is spot applying por15 over the rusty spots followed by their chassiscoat black to cover the remaining floor. This should give me the best case of each product and uv protection, no?

Joel

• Like 1