How do I hook up a 1 wire alternator to my 521?????

ricopico5

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One wire is dumb. Why do you want to sense voltage at the alt and not further out in the system? Why don't you want the charge light indicator? You have to bypass the external regulator either way regardless of using a one wire or a normal internally regulated alt with indicator/field wire and sense wire

If you have a volt meter, you don't need the idiot light.

There is actually no such thing as a one wire alt. as far as I know, but you can make a jumper wire going from the main output post to the sense post, therefore having the appearance of a one wire alternator, but I have always wondered if this can drain the battery.

Most of the delco alts. will need a custom lowered mount bracket, as they are to big and hit the lower radiator hose outlet, it's just a pain all around, just buy a internally regulated alt. and bypass the external regulator.

Here is mine with bypass wires.

DSCN1039.jpg

DSCN1040.jpg

These used to be very popular with the Street Rodder's because they wanted minimal wiring showing but they don't charge well at low RPM so they weren't good for in town cruising and many got replaced with a conventional alternators. May not be an issue with our faster turning motors and lack of AC and power everything.

I just did a 1-wire in my 4runner, 120A to support my new 2-speed electric fan mod. Glad I did when that turbine kicks in.

A few things. At the lower RPM, sometimes you need to rev to get the idiot light to get off as stated to excite it. The plug normal plug on the GM version that would take the signal wire was siliconed closed by LC Engineering, so it is a true one wire connection. I did connect the factory power wire and an extra 10g wire to be safe. Because I'm anal about my cars, I'm thinking of switching back to a Toyota alternator to run the stock brackets, belts etc. The Honda Del Sol fits too.