In which a 4x4 620 is built

That is a nice color, but I also don't really like metallics on Datsuns. Unless your body is finished perfectly the metallics are going to show any imperfections. I personally prefer satin finishes on most cars 25+ years old, but then again it is all about what you like best.

It looks like you have a lot more experience with painting and body work than I do so I'm sure this truck will turn out amazing even if it ends up Barney purple :P

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a nice color, but I also don't really like metallics on Datsuns. Unless your body is finished perfectly the metallics are going to show any imperfections. I personally prefer satin finishes on most cars 25+ years old, but then again it is all about what you like best.

It looks like you have a lot more experience with painting and body work than I do so I'm sure this truck will turn out amazing even if it ends up Barney purple :P

Interestingly, there was a metallic red available for the Datsun line-up in '79, though I'm not sure it was used on the 620.  Kinda don't think so.  I want the truck to be sharp but look more like a restoration than a high school ride.  No offense to any high schoolers reading this.  I was there once but my tastes have changed over the years.  I'm pretty OCD about bodywork, so I think I can pull off a good enough job for any color, but I am going to see what else we have that may catch my eye.

Here is my buddy's S10 and my Jeep that I painted last year.  I like both colors, and I have about a quart of each left.  The paint store can match it and mix more.

IMAG1483web_zpsd5c9a8cc.jpg

IMAG0933web.jpg

IMAG0823web.jpg

Then again, 620's look great in solid reds, blues, yellows, etc.  It is a decision I will struggle with right up until it's time to fill the gun, I expect.

I found these two gallons in Dad's stash today.  I think the blue is similar to the S10, but the green is darker/greener than the Jeep.  In fact the picture doesn't do either one any justice.  Very nice colors...still not sure how they would look on a 620.  This is why the engine bay will be a neutral color--so I can change it every year, lol.

IMAG1904_zps01b04e2d.jpg

IMAG1905_zps5dbce9de.jpg

I got the engine bay DA'd in preparation for sealer and paint tomorrow.  Can't believe I forgot to snap a pic :crying:; I will get a couple tomorrow.  

I want that green for my civic... Do you happen to know the mix?

Nah.  When the cabinets start filling up with leftovers, he just pours like colors together until he has a gallon.  To calculate the mix, we would have to sray it on a flat panel at least the size of a fuel door, clearcoat it, and let the paint store rep "take a picture of it".  They have a device that's about the size of a camera that analyzes the color and spits out a formula for it.  The results are usually pretty close.

Ah ok, thanks for the quick response :)

I just don't want to end up with the stock civic green when it is all finished :P

The more I look at that blue I am starting to like it. There was a 620 on here that has a blue and white two tone with a shade similar to that. It is really nice but I'm not sure about show car finishes on Datsuns.

Ah ok, thanks for the quick response :)

I just don't want to end up with the stock civic green when it is all finished :P

The more I look at that blue I am starting to like it. There was a 620 on here that has a blue and white two tone with a shade similar to that. It is really nice but I'm not sure about show car finishes on Datsuns.

I can understand a show car finish on a Datty that won't see any work.  Mine will be a DD and see snow, pastures and cargo.  I still want it to look like a new one for a while.  The first dent always hurts.

Great work!  I am interested in the body mounts.  It looks like all of the cab mounts lined up - with the exception of having to trim a few.  The bed mounts lined up as well?  I take it your 620 KC is a shortbed and the the 720 was also a shortbed, was it a KC?   Also that is a helluva engine(body) lift!   :P

Great work!  I am interested in the body mounts.  It looks like all of the cab mounts lined up - with the exception of having to trim a few.  The bed mounts lined up as well?  I take it your 620 KC is a shortbed and the the 720 was also a shortbed, was it a KC?   Also that is a helluva engine(body) lift!   :P

Thanks.  And yeah, the bed mounts lined up as well.  Both were short bed KC's.  As I'm sure you saw above, I will ream the bed mounts a little for another 1/4" of clearance behind the cab, but I could probably get away with leaving it as is.  Swapping the body was the easy part; now the work starts, lol.  Thanks for reading.

So, the engine bay is painted with two coats of R-M Uno single-stage urethane.  Looks a lot like the sealer, but shinier.  I think it will compliment about any color I choose for the body while keeping the engine compartment light enough to see in.  Hope I don't beat it up too bad installing all the underhood parts.

enginebaypainted_zps1cf88b55.jpg

That looks really nice. Love the progress on this truck. Do you know what color combination you will paint the engine? Pretty much anything on the wheel will look good in that bay :)

I don't plan on painting the engine unless I have to rebuild it, which is so far undetermined.  I know the engine runs, but I did a cranking compression test and cylinder four is low.  It hasn't been started in a couple years, so I'm hoping it will work itself out with a little use because it was supposedly a driver before meeting the tree.  If I rebuild it and paint it, I will go for a stock look.  I'm boring in my old age.

After you put it back together even if the engine is clean it may look old and greasy surrounded by all that new paint.

I like the grey idea, waiting to see what it looks like finished.

That's true, but painting an assembled engine is a pain.  I degreased it twice and it looks pretty good, but to keep it clean I will probably have to put a valve cover gasket on it.  The paint on the block is still good, but the degreaser dulled the valve cover, so I may paint it while it is off.

Yesterday I sprayed the frame with black acrylic enamel.  For this driver, the paint is mostly for appearance and whatever rust protection it provides.  I did remove the loose surface rust with an air-powered wire brush wheel before spraying.  The frame is very solid.  I was hoping to start reassembling the engine bay, but cleaning the chassis took longer than expected because I kept finding pockets of dried mud underneath.

IMAG1923web_zpsde23c394.jpg

IMAG1924web_zps068c79c3.jpg

Today I reassembled the engine bay.  I didn't install the accelerator cable because it will be too short since the carb is on the other side on the 720 engine.  I also left out the parking brake cable until I look into adapting it to the 720 chassis.  I will have to try the speedo cable on the 720 trans, too.  I won't install the headlights until I paint the cab and black out the front of the radiator core support.  The cab is pretty much ready to set on the frame for what I hope will be the last time.

IMAG1929web_zpsd9fe6b8a.jpg