maltese mistress ('73 240Z)

maltese

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

My buddy at work pointed out that the '4' was not stuck down at the bottom. After a closer look, I realized the vinyl had folded under during the installation. Luckily Chris had sent me a spare. I replaced just the '4'. Looks good as new...

8822846042_4d83f27281.jpg

I also got the carpet kit ready to install. MSA's kit that came with the car...

8812250353_80e6f6ba03.jpg

I'll get some pics of the interior, in the daylight, tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Been driving the Z in 100+ degree weather the last few days. On long hills, my gauge reads as pictured... Never goes above that point.

8983682725_d0cbe19e40.jpg

I pulled over at the top of a long grade, to check the temp on the radiator, with my IR thermometer. Hottest part of the rad was 196 degrees. At the bottom hose the temp read 173 degrees. I figure the position of the needle on the gauge to be approximately 215 degrees.

Does this seem acceptable?

Otherwise, the car is treating me well...

8871397120_357fb670b3.jpg

You may want to try a coolant flush and or water pump. That temp isnt too bad but its close to being so. Usually overheating while still is the fan and while under load is cooling system efficiency. 

You run an efan or mech? I run an efan and have it kick on easier on overly hot days with heavy driving. 

I'm running an electric fan, which runs continuously. Will put a Delta Current fan controller on it, down the road. I've got a three row radiator, and just did a coolant flush. Added Water Wetter with the new coolant (50/50). I'll throw a new water pump at it. Thanks for your insight!

Sounds like your ahead of the curve lol. You can install a lower temp thermostat so it begins circulating sooner.

There is an upgrade for the water pump too, the ld28 pump has larger fins. I have pics in my build thread.   
Lots of options for ya. 

• 4 weeks later...

I got a new water pump, Import Direct from O'Reilly, which has a cast impeller. I'm going to try it out. If it doesn't cool better, I'm going to pull the radiator, and have it gone through. Then the cooling system should be up to par.

In other news...

I got the Spook air dam installed tonight...

9198654272_b047924e97.jpg

I found a loose vacuum line on the vacuum advance. Wonder how long it's been that way? Checked the timing, and retarded it 3 degrees. I think it's time to freshen up the carbs, after I'm done with the cooling system.

Pic from today...

9203268817_dcccf5d51c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Changed the water pump, today. The impeller is slightly larger on the new pump...

9279263378_0271a024fb.jpg

No bearing noise, or signs of leaking at the weep hole, on the old pump.

New one installed, with an aluminum pulley a customer gave me...

9279269900_ef9fe34b03.jpg

Ran it up to operating temp, then let it cool down, to purge any air out of the cooling system...

9277305915_5ebbd23b27.jpg

I'm going to add a second fan tonight. The 14" fan covers a little more than half, so I'm going to add a 12" pusher.

With the new water pump and the second fan, the car is running a little cooler. I'm going to clean up some of the e-fan wiring this coming weekend, as well.

In other news, I ran over a ketchup packet in a drive thru, at lunch, so I washed it...

9296257249_a4f08b6c65.jpg

• Like 1

Spook looks excellent ! :thumbup:

Love your s30 man :D !!

Keep the updates comin..

Hopefully your cooling issues are solved :) .

Out of the last (5) stock zx radiators I've touched .. I felt (2) of them needed to be rodded , boiled , and re-sealed.  ( not un-common right ?  oh well lol )