maltese mistress ('73 240Z)

maltese

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the seat belts are priced pretty fair actually. So long as they are functional they are worth the price lol.

I agree. So far, I've been very impressed with the parts from MSA. Looking forward to having seatbelts that actually retract!

Next, I'll be ordering their push button start.

Dont get me wrong some of their stuff is ridiculously priced. their belts are like a god send compared to the stock ones though. I have to explain to everyone that gets in my Z how the belts work and even then its still a mission lol. 

Looking good, keep on keepin on. 

Snowed pretty good today. Went from the 70's yesterday, to getting 3-4 inches of snow in town, which is at 2300' elevation. Drove the Z home, with no snow chains 'cuz I don't have enough clearance. Did very well, considering.

8490611949_20893a06fb.jpg

Thursday, I have plans to install the brake parts, and new seatbelts. Will update, with pics.

Worked on the brakes today. Got the front buttoned up, no problems...

8496447697_5f47cb1ef7.jpg

I didn't paint the calipers, just yet. I'm waiting to do some cleaning/painting when the weather is better. I only drive 1/8 mile off the pavement, to my house, but the road is a mess when wet.

As for the rear brakes... I got the drums off, after some persuasion, and a little foul language. Then I cut the backing plate off the driver side.

8496448511_0675c61091.jpg

Cleaned some corrosion off the hub...

8496482939_7b36d8f791.jpg

Then I installed the rotors and caliper brackets. I ran into a clearance issue here...

8497548948_d85b11b093.jpg

8497550266_4d7200f31c.jpg

I'll call Datsun LLC tomorrow, to see if I'm doing something wrong, or if I just need a shim between the hub and rotor.

Brakes are almost finished. Just waiting on the spacers, now. I got the calipers mounted up, the brake lines hooked up, and ready to be bled. For that, I am picking up some speed bleeders tonight. Can't wait to drive my Z again.

The seats are in the car now. Pretty straight forward. I mounted them as low as I could, without cutting the mounts on the floor. They just barely fit in the Z...

8511933544_bddbb430f2.jpg

Drove the Z about 50 miles today. The brakes function normally. To help with the bias, I need to eliminate the restrictors on the rear lines. Afterwards, I'll look into more aggressive pads for the rear, to help balance the braking. Otherwise, I like the feel, better than with the old drums. I'll probably go to a larger master cylinder, down the road.

8515863591_48b206a3be.jpg

• Like 1

Bought a console and MSA fuse box, from Alex Datsun today. Looking forward to these upgrades!

I also have an appointment to get the seats shampoo-ed, tomorrow. Then next week the new windshield/seal, and rear glass seal, go in. Slowly but surely making progress...

Changed the oil and filter today. Went to Lucas motor oil for classic cars, with 2500 PPM Zinc content. That, and a new Bosch filter.

8541564764_a00de5a59f.jpg

When I removed the old filter, I heard something fall into my drain pan. I found a check ball and retainer. After some reading, I learned that it was a bypass, incase the filter were plugged. Some others that have had this issue, replaced the part, or plugged the hole. Not sure which way I'm going to go, just yet. Any input would be appreciated...

• 2 weeks later...

I got a deal on an MSA fuse box, from Alex Datsun. Installed it today, on my lunch break.

8569251805_f5a8387cb0.jpg

Out with the old...

8569247793_0938fd585d.jpg

In with the new...

8570117123_fe81cea318.jpg

I had to get a 6x32 screw for the main power lead, since the stock screw is larger. Otherwise, it bolted right in.

• 5 weeks later...

Been doing a lot of reading about wiper motors lately. The rainy season is just about over here, but I want to be ready for the next go round. Going to pick up a Honda wiper motor for this upgrade... click me

The primer got me through winter, and into spring, but it's wearing thin. Today I ordered some paint from Rapco Parts. Current issue Marine Corps lusterless forest green. This paint is very durable, and should keep the Z protected, for the time being.

Otherwise, the Z has been running great. I love driving this car!

• 2 weeks later...

Today, I did a coolant flush, with Prestone Super Flush. The coolant I drained was pretty clean, but after running the flush through, some of the hidden crud came out. Sort of a watered down iced tea color. I put a new 180 degree thermostat in, some Red Line Water Wetter, and coolant. The temp gauge runs slightly above half, but not sure how accurate it is.

Also, my paint showed up, so I'm a little antsy to get to work on it.

No pics today, since my Flickr is being a pain.

Took the old fender off today. Broke a few rusty bolts, in the process. I've got to clean up the replacement, then get it installed.

I ordered some BRE style stripes, in vinyl, from Crackerjack69 too.

Can't wait to get it all done!