maltese mistress ('73 240Z)

maltese

The exhaust is done. I think I'll add a resonator, though. Sounds good cruising, and at idle, but it's pretty loud at 1/2 to wide open throttle. Was too busy working on other people's cars yesterday, to get any video, but I'll try again today. Drove the car to work this morning... It's fun!

Anyone have a 3.70 or 3.90 diff they could part with?

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of exhaust did you run??

Mine had a Pacesetter header to 2 1/2" pipe to a 2 chamber Flowmaster......It sounded angry :devil: .....Loved IT!!!!

Miss it..... :bye:

........I'll have another someday.

Ok. New spark plugs installed, and eliminated the second ballast resistor. Tach still works fine, and the coil gets more power, win-win!

Looked at the ignition timing... I'm a little puzzled about how this guy set it up. The distributor drive is clocked different than stock, and the distributor is clocked to match...I think? I set #1 at TDC (based on crank pulley and pointer), pulled the cap, and the rotor is set quite a bit before the #1 plug wire. Not sure if it should be so retarded. Started it up, and shot the timing light at it, and the mark is 54 degrees advanced. Not cool.

Next, I'm going to physically verify the cam timing, and TDC. It runs like it's a little retarded, so I'm thinking the timing marks are way off. Is it common for the crank pulley to be spun, on these motors? Might just have to time it by ear, for now.

Adjusted the valves last night. Most exhaust valves were loose, and a couple intake valves were a little tight. Verified cam timing is correct, and TDC lines up right on the mark. Put it back together, and checked again with my timing light. 50 degrees BTDC. What gives? I think I'll try a different timing light next. The car runs too good, to be that far off. What am I missing?

It has to be clocked wrong.....

Is that 50* base??.....or advance??

Base timing. The distributor is clocked differently than stock. Where am I going to mark the pulley, to time it, if #1 is not where it belongs? Never run across this before.

I'm sure there's a simple solution, I'm just over thinking it...

Harmonic balancer might have spun. as time goes on the rubber on the balancer brakes but are to tight of a fit it fall off. Check tdc mark new tdc and check timing.

Verified cam timing last night. The balancer is where it belongs. This issue is in the ignition timing, and distributor clocking.

Yes this is strange.....50* base is crazy....didn't think a car can run like that.....

...I would've guessed harmonic balancer also...but you checked....

I'd have to say rip out the oil pump and dist.....then start at step 1....

• 2 weeks later...

0 interest?! Im still young but im slowly building my credit in the meantime haha.

It was the second credit card I ever had.....they sent me a form....filled it out....and BAM....

I had 1 year to pay it off before interest accrued.....

Oh man... I hate credit cards. I've had a lot more spending money, since paying those buggers off! If I can't pay cash, I don't buy it. Being debt free is a beautiful thing. :thumbup:

I hate'em also......I don't use'em unless I have the cash or I know I can pay it off within a decent amount of time.....

Unfortunately you do need them to build your credit........the trick is not to spend like it's money you have......

.......or ask them to give you a low limit if you can't control yourself :lol:

I'm a little bummed about the strut tower braces I got from Top End Performance. The rear will fit, with some modification. The front, on the other hand, is way off. With the tubing all the way against the firewall, the bolt holes are about .5" off, on one side. I'm going to call them tomorrow, to see what's up. Seems like a nice product. I just hope I'll be able to use it.

It was the second credit card I ever had.....they sent me a form....filled it out....and BAM....

I had 1 year to pay it off before interest accrued.....

I hate'em also......I don't use'em unless I have the cash or I know I can pay it off within a decent amount of time.....

Unfortunately you do need them to build your credit........the trick is not to spend like it's money you have......

.......or ask them to give you a low limit if you can't control yourself :lol:

I just pulled the trigger on some triple weber 40's haha! This winter break is going to be awesome. My engine leaks oil bad all over the place, so plan is to pull engine change gaskets/seals on stand do carb conversion ….and not sure after that. ha!