maltese mistress ('73 240Z)

maltese

Skib hooked me up with a JAF badge today...

10684978115_bc5388eb4a_z.jpg

I wasn't really looking for one, but I think it'll be cool on the Z. There are a family from Japan, in my town, that like talking about the car when we cross paths. I wonder what they'll think of the badge?

Tomorrow, I'm going to check out another Weber. Hoping it'll match my other two!

• Like 1
  • Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buying another engine and transmission. L26 with a Pickup 5 speed. Triple 40 DCOE 151 carbs. Schneider cam. Header. Mallory (?) distributor. High volume oil pump. Heard it run tonight. Sounds good!

The clutch is worn, but I won't need it. The crank seals are weeping, too. Otherwise, it runs nice. Even has a bunch of polished goodies (valve cover, pulley, alt. adjuster, oil cap).

I'm psyched!

Now, what can I do with am L26? Time to start reading...

Started on this last night. The L24 came out easily, aside from the header. Looks like it was modified to fit. No way to remove the engine (complete), without cutting the exhaust. The header on the L26 is much nicer, so it's going to replace the old one.

10841026224_dfdac46ec6_o.jpg

My buddy Chad, helping out...

10840934906_103f92bb7a_o.jpg

10841012804_658978a897_o.jpg

10840595504_c340aec09b_o.jpg

Got the trans separated from the L26, and started getting it ready to go in. A couple flywheel bolt holes were buggered, so I had to get a thread chaser from work. Pretty much ended the night...

Man....you don't waste any time......sweet job!!

Yeah, I'd like to have it done already, but I've been putting in a lot of hours at work this week. Going to try to finish it Saturday night.

I picked up the rest of the parts I need tonight. Got some more Lucas motor oil too. Hope to take it for a spin Sunday.

Got some work done tonight. Motor mounts swapped, and bolted the engine in. Wired the distributor. Fixed the throttle linkage.

I wanted to keep my NGK wires, so I started pulling plugs. Replaced them with new NGK's. When I removed the wires, I found this mess...

10900268933_eca252fc2c_z.jpg

I wanted to fire the Z up tonight, so I cleaned up the cap some, and reinstalled it.

10900074174_0762006789_z.jpg

10900078514_eaa78ba04c_z.jpg

Then I got the rest buttoned up. Radiator in, fans hooked up, and coolant added...

10899906105_f4dc6ac1d7_z.jpg

10900031944_949edb3e6d_z.jpg

Turned the ignition on, to prime the lift pump, and cranked it over. I don't think it made one revolution, before it fired up! Sounds good, besides the exhaust. I'll get it done in the next couple days.

I need to adjust the valves, replace the distributor cap, and add ballast resistors so the yacht will work properly. I can't wait to take it for a ride!

Almost drove it to work yesterday, but in the morning it cranked over a little slow. Checked the charging system, and wasn't getting anything. Double checked my connections, and they're all good. The alternator from the L24 worked fine, but the screw on the field broke, when I removed it. So, I ordered a new IR alternator, and the harness plug from MSA. An upgrade that's been on the list, anyway. Since I was already placing the order, I went ahead and got their parking light harness too.

Here's a pic as it sits today...

10938658744_942de82880_z.jpg

I added the matching breather filter, from ITG. I also took a minute to install my JAF badge...

10939623175_638499cce9_z.jpg

• Like 2

Installed the distributor cap, when I got home. Easy peasie. Got a wild hair, and decided to keep going, (keep in mind, I've been working 60+ hours a week lately). Then I installed the new IR alternator. Just waiting on the plug from MSA now...

10974697725_65696b1c0e_z.jpg

Then I wired up my ballast resistors. With the Mallory distributor, my tach isn't working properly. The fix, according to this diagram, is to wire in a couple resistors...

10974935163_1178be9c6c_z.jpg

That's all for tonight. Gotta be on the road at 5 am. Time for sleep.

Parts from MSA came this morning. I put the alternator plug in, and fired it up. Charging fine now! My lights are much brighter too!

10990021926_ae9cf7a4a9_z.jpg

Then I installed the filter for the distributor...

10989532265_6cfe08a79d_z.jpg

Took it for a test drive. Runs perfect! Much smoother acceleration, revs quicker, etc. I'm very pleased.

Now I'm going to work on the parking light harness...

10990969044_c59b341190_z.jpg

• Like 1