1971 Datsun 521 Snack Shack

well yes yes I did.... first thing in the am went to DuPont wa to deliver a very nice eldery ladies yard art....

null_zpsc91c6154.jpg

then came back to work hoped on the bike and rode down to Rochester to scavenge the 620 I pulled the l20 from for the part I needed....

null_zps2d153003.jpg

took the clutch fork too...pulled this back out real quick like....

null_zpsa9234318.jpg

winner winner .... l 16 on left l20 620 on right........

null_zps70ddd361.jpg

swapped  the t/o...made sure clutch fork wasn't bent.....anti seized everything....almost ready to go back together hopefully for the last time....

notice the bottle on the battery ......yup its getting done with the bullet...

null_zps4357dec3.jpg

whilke I was about to do this hans was doing this....

null_zps5634f875.jpg

whipped out these 5 degree blocks here......there perfuct and 4 and 3/8 instead of 4 .....more lowz....

null_zps011fb241.jpg

on hans truck ......perfect to straight pinion....

null_zps58dfd1c3.jpg

null_zps3ddc60fb.jpg

null_zps005d322a.jpg

this is where it started 2 days agao......now its in for l20 fw discnotch...sinking the srings all before the fest.....

null_zps1e59fdc8.jpg

null_zpsad77e672.jpg

mean while I got back to sqaure one finally ......

null_zpse89dd0b4.jpg

null_zpsf12281d5.jpg

null_zps828dea7e.jpg

as I left ... still got fix the slave but back to square one with a new pan seal and fresh correct throwout....arms riding in the middle now and all is good ....

and holy shit my air shocks finally showed up

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

supposedly hans is gonna try and tackle the roadster to l series mod for the air cleaners for the su's.......we got two to make for both trucks....either way its ....wait only 10 days away .... hory sheet ....the fest is in 10 days ....

• Like 2

How far did you get tonight? I wanna hear it run again!  Did you find that 4 blade fan? Im not driving her out to hans' until I get rid of that stupid ass clutch fan.  Im also contemplating doing the 5 speed swap before fest as Frank seems to think we can do it without pulling the motor and just dropping a torsion bar.  I just dont wanna get everything unbolted and come to find out we cant and miss fest because of it tho

well last night I pulled the bed back off and fixed the brakelines ..... the e brake........swapped in my degreed lowering blocks that total fixed driveline rubbing.....don't even need to mod the cab but its a spare cab anyway so meah!!!!!!   um watched the Centralia tigers lose on a safety on Thursday night football....also I spent some time tinkering with the new roadster fairlady air cleaner for my su's........ hans spent a few huors drilling spot welds and repositioning the air horns on the base of the air cleaner .......definitely made it happen for me......I hope he takes more vacations from work ......spent some time on the red truck ......blasted the rearend .....finished sinking the rear perches in the frame...... all that's left is the notches and bolting it back together but then its on to the front .....might be tight on the l20 swap .... leaving that till last incase I has to make the trip still l 16......everything is there for the swap .....hoping to rake only a day or two for his swap .... naner I stll need that through out collar u found .....the red truck will need one so I pay u moneyz for it ...pics are loading .....give me a second

oh u have to drop the torsion bar to do it that way ... which is why I pulled my motor in stead of pulling the tranny......pls don't forget u need a drive shaft since your going from a short tail 4 so to a tong tail 5 sp... its like a 27.5 on the 4 sp and 31.5ish on the 5 sp.... Oh and u still got to pull it out of the goon too .....its all ready to go I even put a new tail shaft seal in it I think.........I should make u buy a motor stand to put my l20 goon motor on .......since I made u a sweet deal on my 620 tranny.....did u get my carb on there yet?  if not I want it back ...

null_zpsdbf7b520.jpg

null_zpsf1f4d6a0.jpg

null_zpsb96cca0a.jpg

null_zps615d5ce9.jpg

ok heres the fairlady air cleaner installed on my su's had to do some trickery to get the element on there while installed on the truck but I think it will work fine...

null_zps09346c43.jpg

null_zpse41b4697.jpg

null_zps412d7e5a.jpg

lil goofin gold fish style ... its xmas bros..

null_zps0385aafc.jpg

hans finishing up his rear shackle mod.......stupid 9 days till show ....

null_zps52b30fe9.jpg

• Like 2

oh and by the way the degreed blocks are now 4 and 3/8 on the tall side to 4 and a 1/8 on the low side where the old blocks were 3 and 7/8 tall ........another 1/4 inch lower....woot woot ... I also ghettoed the exhaust back to one piece with some flex pipe ... first stop once shes road worthy is the muff shop...sorry hooligan if I didn't already have a long standing business relationship with the shop I would totally let u go to town on it ... but victors been doing my trucks since I was a kid and he gets a lot of shit coated ....ive sent him a lot of work so he treats me good .... shit he's even giving my friends deals now ....anyway ... still got the slave to deal with ... during tranny gate we stripped out both mounting holes for the slave luckily we used way to short of bolts so it only ruined the first 1/4 and I have over a inch of useable threads still so just gonna get longer bolts when im getting the hardware today for my upper shock mounts...( to be fair hans ripped the slave off the tranny when he man stomped the clutch .......) but its all good I sprayed his patinaed red truck down with oil specks redoing my oil pan while the motor was out so its give and take.........after all he did carve a huge M for mason in my hood with the jack handle once when we were first putting the truck together....

notice also the frosty brown bottles in every shot ...getting work done on the buzz bus.....woot woot clang clang cheers ....

its official these builds are sponsored by the frosty cool greatness that is the silver bullet......although I now believe its time to pay homeage to the frank in all of us ....he has helped me immensely ... so from now on this build will be sponsored by the cool frosty original banquet beer ... coors original...

dkd0101.jpg

lol I told him if we posted this it would become a request ....... kinda feel like I owe u, so lemme see what I can do ...they definitely gave me over a inch of more driveline clearance and a almost perfect pinion angle ...im excited to see if this cures my 70 to 75 slight vibration ...I also lubed the fuck out of my u joints cuz not sure I ever did when I put it in few months back

oh and shockingly this is the first set of u bolts that I reused ...... every other ones have stripped out when i try and re use them ... must be cause I hand tightened last time i put them on ..... cuz I used the impact this time and they still got tight as fuck and I dont plan on removing them

I did catch hans last night trying to out low me by raising his rear shackles further in his  frame....that we did mine........he said he was trying to compensate for my spring sag I have .......I lol'd and said we are so dumbwe are trying to out low each other and we may not even be able to turn when we are done ...more lol's followed by a brown bottle cheers and a hearty fuck yes

would but the rear end needs to be stripped for that .. maybe when we pick up the 3.88 from redeye at the fest ...we can tear it out and do it ....de did decide to skip the powder coating of the rear calipers since we have other shit to accomplish

I did catch hans last night trying to out low me by raising his rear shackles further in his  frame....that we did mine........he said he was trying to compensate for my spring sag I have .......I lol'd and said we are so dumbwe are trying to out low each other and we may not even be able to turn when we are done ...more lol's followed by a brown bottle cheers and a hearty fuck yes

would but the rear end needs to be stripped for that .. maybe when we pick up the 3.88 from redeye at the fest ...we can tear it out and do it ....de did decide to skip the powder coating of the rear calipers since we have other shit to accomplish

SHIT jROCK THIS WOULD BE THE TIME MAN NOW THAT YOU ARE VAGINA I MEAN BALLS DEEP IN TO ALREADY.aND YOU ARE THE POWDER COAT MASTER.WHY IS THIS ALL IN CAPS I DONT KNOW,NOT YELLING BY THE WAY :rofl:

well it's back on the ground and low as fuck ... but the bitch wont start now ....but who cares when it looks like this and has a ton of suspension travel ... so much now I got two inches of travel in the rear and the only thing it hits now is the pumpkin on the bottom of the box and it takes a lot of compression to get that to happen.... air shocks are on and gas tank is in.......its been a bitch but heres some pics...

null_zps182cab2b.jpg

null_zpsb17a7af0.jpgnull_zps2442dad6.jpg

theres some other pics I am loading but for now ... yes the front needs to come down a little ... I got a shit ton of travel up front so the only limiting factor is the wheel and tire bottomin out in the front wheel well which it already does so we will see ... first order is to find out what isn't happening allowing it to start... it cranks and theres fuel just no fire.....it started two removals ago and we haven't changed anything other then took the motor out and ut it back in ..... I will post the other pics .....soon..... hans truck is coming alojng its all done out back except for a rear disc brake clearance issue ... I handled the front discs and clearancing and then pulled the motor out ..... its ready to start going back together,....I got pics of it too ....

edit ... being this low and running rear discs is a tough/..... right now this low the caliper is almost hitting the frame on both sides ... we cant use any ebrake shit on there and that cast on the caliper that houses all the parking brake stuff is whats so close to the frame......prolly gonna have to channel the frame rail .... I say cut off the offending caliper section but we don't know what or how the ebrake is worked so we might have issues there ....

• Like 4