A series FS5W63 conversion to L series

B210GX

OK so I'm contemplating putting an L20B into my B210.  I have the the front section of the L series 5 spd. what should I expect in changing out the the "bell housing"  portion of the trans.. should it be just straight foreward?    I may have to have a custom imput shaft bushing made up as I do not have the L series shaft.  Were there different versions of this 5 spd that would prohibit this mod?   Oh and I did not get the front bearing retainer with the front section, will the BR from my trans go on this new section?   they look the same, but I have not pulled it off yet to check.

Any suggestions as to where to purchase a rebuild kit?  Syncros still available?

I am very falmiliar with the  53 series 4 speeds as I blew many of them up when I was alot younger. :)

TIA

Mike

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

53 series?

What you need to use a A-series FS5W63 behind and L-series engine is... you need the front case half of an L-series FS5W63. But if you have that you might as well use the whole L-series transmission.

Anyways the swap-over is simple. Just split the case, and swap the front halves. Everything else is the same (including length and driveshaft).

I put this together to show how to make a shortshaft 5 spd. transmission for a 521, but this will explain what you likely will need to know.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/28473-how-to-put-together-a-shortshaft-5-speed-for-a-l20b/

It's all the same, any 720 4 or 5 speed set of gears will go into a 1980 L block 4 or 5 spd. front case, and some of the Z car transmissions will work also.

Yes, B210 4-speeds are smaller, lighter. But the same overall length.

B210 4-speed is 56-series (1974)

B210 4-speed is 60-series (1975-1978)

B210 5-speed is 63-series

Both use 180mm clutch disc, but the 5-speed disc has the large input splines for 63-series transmission.

There is no advantage in converting A-series 5-speed for L-series use. And some gotchas. To my knowledge -- though many have discussed this -- no one has ever done it. The L-series versions are much more common and less expensive. The A-series can be sold for $350, the L-series versions bought for $200.

you got me on the 53 David, I meant the 56..  oops   Anyway I would use an existing L 63 trans but not avaliable in my neck of the woods.  I have a few of the A 63's left. I bought the "bell" portion off of a Ratsun member for $45 to my door. (Thanks Eric)    So I'm going that route.

Well I will let you all know how it goes, since no one has done it yet.

What diff. does the 1980 or 81  510 wagon have in it?  I would get the trans from it, but its an auto.  anyone know the Wm to Wm length?

Mike

The late 510 rear axle assembly is same width as B310, which is about 2" wider than B210 unit.

The input shaft might be able to be used with a special/custom crankshaft bushing. Hopefully it will be the right length. If too long, it can be machined. If too short, that is a problem.

you got me on the 53 David, I meant the 56..  oops   Anyway I would use an existing L 63 trans but not avaliable in my neck of the woods.  I have a few of the A 63's left. I bought the "bell" portion off of a Ratsun member for $45 to my door. (Thanks Eric)    So I'm going that route.

Well I will let you all know how it goes, since no one has done it yet.

What diff. does the 1980 or 81  510 wagon have in it?  I would get the trans from it, but its an auto.  anyone know the Wm to Wm length?

Mike

If someone can run P/N's the input shaft on the 510 4 speed may swap with the L series Dogleg 63A gearbox input shaft. The synchro rings and the coupling rings are the same parts between the two transmissions.

The 510 and the 200sx dogleg (32200-21101) have 22Teeth. So does the B-210 although a different part number maybe because of the pilot bushing size?

The 521/510 (goon) and the early 620 (32200-21100) had a 21 tooth for lower first gear ratios.

I also have 32200-21101 for the 200sx dogleg and it matches the PL510 main input shaft. 22 Tooth. Fits the 610/710/A10 4 speed. So a PL or HL 510/610/710/A10 4speed input should fit the B210 dogleg.

This is what I suspected.  

Are gears supposed to be a matched set? Because the "input shaft" (main gear drive) contains an integral input gear that matches the gear on the countershaft. I don't know about mixing and matching used gears.

For new gears it doesn't matter, but I have always been under the same belief that used gears should be swapped in sets. That said it could be a matter of used parts of differing wear levels being the issue. IMO today's (and 40 years ago) machining tolerances are closely held, the swapping of gears as sets may not be as critical, again IMO.