Lots of projects...521 and 620's

I have 24 Datsun pickups and I have a few projects that I am working on and decided to share with you all. Please be patient with the pictures. I am setting up photobucket right now as we speak and going to try to get some posted. You may think that I am bullshiting and if so that is fine and it may be hard for some to believe. My dad has a small farm of 100 acres a 20 acre chunk and the main 80 acre chunk and I have been collecting Datsuns since before I ever had a drivers license. This is kind of sad but pretty hilarious at the same time Datsuns is the best crop we have had in years. If someone doesn't want to believe me that is fine...I get that all the time, but I have what it takes to back it up(I can't bring it to you to show you obviously but if a fellow Datsun nut wanted some parts and came over I would give a tour). My projects may not be street machines like most but they are ones that are practical for this area.

I have a 1974 4X4 620. It is a regular cab with a shortbox. The guy that I got it from put a flatbed on it and also put a SBC 350 that he built high performace for a race car he built. Behind it is a TH350. This thing is VERY interesting and VERY VERY fun. In addition to the Chevy parts the whole front clip tilts forward just as the do on semi trucks. This is a very unfinished project but in the works. So far I have redone some of the wiring as you had to twist wires together and arc some (hot wire) to start it. Ther is still alot of body work that I think it needs in order to be presentable.

I have a 71' 521 that I wrecked into a tree when I was 16 that I rebuilt the front end on to make it look like a  long nose Peterbuilt. This truck was actually in fairly good shape except where the previous owners cut out the rear fender wells for big mud tires. Any way the direction I am going with this project is to take the engine out and keep the home-made hood on it but put a flat plate across the front of the frame and mount a around 18 HP Briggs or something along these lines and run a hydraulic pump to a hydrostat. I will take the flywheel and clutch set up and use it on a shaft with high-speed pillow block bearings with a gear on one side and a mount to bolt the flywheel to on the other. I have a freind that is a hydraulic engineer and he knows people that cast and make their own pumps and we have gone over this multiple times and may take a while to get things right but in the end am hoping to have a hydraulic driven 71' 521. I will still have use of the gears to get my speeds and can make necessary adjustments through the sprockets and pump mods. As of right now the only pictures for this project I have are the truck with the home-made front end. I have not even taken the engine out yet and won't do so until spring as I do not have a full shop to work in.

I have done some asking in some forums for advice on my next project. It is a 79' 620 KC 4X4. I am wanting and have most of the stuff to take the L20 out and put a SD22 in. This truck when I got it was pretty lightly laid on its side and needed body work and I had way more than enough parts to get it straight again and it was a flatbed also. It now has a bed back on it, 91' Camry seats, and am wanting to put a service body on it. So basically all this project needs now is paint, the engine swap, and a service body. I am not even sure I have pictures of this one right now...I can get some but it is a basic KC 620 multi-colored 4X4.

My wife decided that she wants a 4X4 so besides my 24 Datsuns I have 5 4X4 720's(If someone wanted to get technical I would have more...I just classify the 720's differently). I have a 620 KC on a KC 720 frame and out of the 24 Datsun pickups I have there are 2 automatics. When it is all said and done My wife will have a 620 KC on a 720 frame (for smoother ride) 4X4 with a auto and L20.

A few other projects I have been considering but are not even in works or priority list yet are :

I have a 1978 Porcshe Carrera 924...runs great and if I can't sell it by the time my other projects are done I would like to put the engine, tranny, front and rear suspension under a Datsun (either a 521 or 620).

I have a 75' International Scout II and If I can't get it sold I will take one of the Datsuns I don't have a title for and put the Datsun body on the Scout frame and just use it for plowing snow...I would rather plow snow in a cool Datsun than a ugly Scout.

• Like 1
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

was you able to save all the Datsuns behind the long barn near Pomeroy ? I hear Larry crushed a few before you could get all of them out of their.  

we talked after I was informed by Larry that you purchased them all. I was interested in the red 520 because I have all the parts to put it back on the road.

100_0188_zps7ea6db9e.jpg

Here is a truck that I am waiting for the title on. A real good freind of mine has the title still but moved and it got lost so we are going to do the lost title process. It had a the V6 in it and he blew it up and I had a good one and it is just sitting in there. Another project that just needs a little finishing.

100_0574_zpseb4594ce.jpg

100_0573_zpsce71be51.jpg

This truck was my grandfathers and was his daily driver forever. he finally retired it and was gonna scrap it until I heard about it. I got it running again and pretty good but was too rusted out to do much with. I made a demolition derby truck out of it and it has ran 3 times and taken 1st overall once. When I stripped it down It was rusted out SO bad only 2 of the cab to frame mounts were holding anything so the roll cage I put in it was made as part of the body and frame. It is still ready to go again once I get the coil frying problem taken care of.

100_0564_zps989e3f6c.jpg

100_0563_zpsc6e64405.jpg

100_0562_zpsaa21ed21.jpg

100_0561_zpsa4dee635.jpg

Thank god for tractor tires!!!!

100_0560_zps52c93c78.jpg