A10's U-nite !!!!

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why you would even consider buying that engine for anything more than just the head, or accessory belts. That block is done. Not worth the trouble..... To repair, install, and deal with all the time it would take to repair what wrong with that Z, why not repair your Z. Doesn't make sense.

The engine in my car is just worn out. Done. I'm done putting money into it. New vacuum lines, Fuel Filter, Fuel Pump, Fuel lines, I cleaned the tank, Had the carb rebuilt, Cleaned twice by 2 separate mechanics. New timimg chain and tensioner, Timed, Spark plugs, wires, rotor, ignition coils etc... Brand new battery, Brand new water pump, rebuilt radiator, new alternator, belt, hoses, oil, coolant... That's all I can officially remember for now that has been done to it since June....I'm just done trying to figure out why it just blips and dies after 3000RPM even in neutral you can hear it go, Hesitate and be less as strong afterwards. So I'm just going to get a different block and work on it till I get it rebuilt and swap.. Cheaper to do that then to keep spending money on small things.. It will eventually cost the same as buying a different engine.

$2,000??? You must have paid a mechanic. Your mechanic is spending your money for you. Learn to do this shit yourself. Get a FSM and some wrenches, research.

Your car is likely fixable and you're throwing $2,000 away. 

• Like 2

Paid a mech for the vacuum lines, carb and fuel pump and rotor and a few others.

. Everything is expensive in AZ. Extremely... I try to do a lot myself but I don't have a shit load of time haha you tell me what else there is. All that's left is, piston compression, rings and camshaft. Everything else was replaced before I bought it. I'm really out of ideas.

Paid a mech for the vacuum lines, carb and fuel pump and rotor and a few others.

. Everything is expensive in AZ. Extremely... I try to do a lot myself but I don't have a shit load of time haha you tell me what else there is. All that's left is, piston compression, rings and camshaft. Everything else was replaced before I bought it. I'm really out of ideas.

Replaced does not mean it works. Did the previous owner tell you it was replaced? Pardon my cynicism but I'm from Missouri... I have to be shown or I don't believe it.

Things that could be wrong...

Carb (unless you replaced it yourself) if you did, it could have gotten dirt into it from a bad fuel filter. Float setting wrong. Choke stuck.

Valve lash not set. Valves too tight.

Timing advance wrong.

NAPS motor, so one side (exhaust) plugs may not be firing.

NAPS motor, has 8 spark plugs EASY TO GET THE PLUG WIRES MIXED UP.

Z20...only 4 plugs. 

When alex said motor had been in wreck I was guessing his car was wrecked and he broke his mounts and/or bellhousing. 

Wasn't really clear on all the details. 

That single picture cleared it all up. 

I'd pass on that Z24. No clue as to condition. What's not there that should be. 

Being so far in the hole as it is with your car, you need a sure bet, not a guess. 

What? I've never seen a Z20 with 8 spark plugs. Sure, Z24 I've only seen 8 plugs.... But if you're saying only 10-15% of Zs had 4 plugs how is it all of the Z20s I've seen been 4 plug?

And I've seen a lot if Z20s ....

Only in 1980.  1981+ Z20s were all 8-plug, all the time.   B)

In truth, the 4-plug models probably account for maybe 10-15% of the total production for that engine...

The Canadian '80 and '81s were all 4 plug. The Z22 started with 8 plug here.