A10's U-nite !!!!

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is or was there a different between 620 L20 and 510 L20?

Goin to be building a L20 Stroker Was wondering about oil pan issues for 620 L20B.

Haven't read all your posts but there were no 510 L20Bs (just in case) You can put an L20B into a 510 in place of the smaller L16 motor though. Otherwise truck and car L20B blocks and internals are the same for all. External manifolds, oil pans, heads, ignition systems and certainly smog equipment, vary year to year.

Truck L20B have a larger 225mm clutch and matching flywheel and a 'rear' sump oil pan for steering rod and cross member clearance at the front and will not fit a 510.

Car L20Bs have a 200mm clutch and matching flywheel and a front or forward sum oil pan. It has a better chance of fitting a 510 but an L16 oil pan would be better. L20B flywheels will not fit the L16/18 motors.

Do you suppose he's talking about his 1981 510,, but it doesn't have L20b either??

(disclaimer) But i was wrong before guessing what people were thinking in their cryptic posts in here,,,  so probably am again this time.

:lol:

Yes, I should have read further. My bad...

The '80-'81 A10 will have a Z20 engine and an L20B will not just bolt in. The Z20 transmission will not line up even though it does have the correct bolt pattern. This is because the L and the Z series motors lean at different angles. The L series lean 12 degrees to the passenger side, the Z series about 8-10 degrees to the drivers side from the vertical. (about 20 degrees total between them)

Here is a good picture of the relative angle differences. The 200zx is actually the '80-'83 S110 200sx  with a Z series engine the same as the one marked 720. The 510 is the early L series PL 510 with L series engine and NOT the later A10

Oilpan-differences.jpg

Now, to run a 2.2 or 2.3 'stroker' you are likely to want to run an L head on it and for this, the motor will have to be tilted over into the L series position to the passenger side, to allow room on the driver's side for the intake and carb. As soon as you tilt (rotate) the block it will not bolt up to your transmission.

Here is a picture of the relative tilt angles between an L on the left and a Z series on the right. Forcing an L tilt on a Z series transmission will be problematic.

F463andNAPSdogleg.jpg

You could look for an L series dogleg to fit the L series motor... or

The dogleg is not that strong and is only adequate for a L20/Z20 motor. If building a stroker it will only wear out faster. I would suggest converting to a '71B 5 speed from any L series 620 truck or 280z or 280zx car. This will give you the strength and the appropriate angle for a stroker motor.

Well the Z20 leans about 10 degrees to the left or driver's side of vertical, so positioning an L series there in effect rotates the engine about 20 degrees to the left. I would roughly estimate the L motor intake and carb would move about 5-6" left, towards the driver's side strut tower and the brake master cylinder. Also the intake and carb would be tilted downward by 20 degrees (look at the oil pans above for an idea) ... somewhat like driving with the passenger side wheels up on concrete blocks. 

Simply imagine this L20B rotated 6" to the right in this picture... (it might be more)

20130324_144859_zps91c9ff80.jpg

I put a KA where my L20 used to be, using 240sx mounts. Keep the horns (welded uprights) on the xmember and use the mounts from whatever engine your swApping in. I don't think these a10s have hood clearance issues....

So would that work for bolting it in right into mounts? Because from all this it seems like the NAPZ trans will bolt in.. I'm trying to keep the down time to a minimum because I'm building the L series and then swapping it into my car and trying to get to Washington by February

If running it like in this picture ...

20130324_144859_zps91c9ff80.jpg

You will need an L series transmission. Preferably from a 

'77-'79 620 truck

'80 2wd 720 truck

'77-'78 280z car

'79-'83 280zx car

'79 810 car

'80-84 Maxima

These all had 5 speeds available. They were all much stronger 71B transmissions capable of handling the L28 engine. You will need to shorten the driveshaft and modify the transmission mount. But this is a very robust 5 speed that will handle the LZ motor.

thought...

Won't it sit upright as it should?

I was going to build the stroker out of the L20 block

Wasn't going to do LZ

Have you moved on already?

I put a KA where my L20 used to be, using 240sx mounts. Keep the horns (welded uprights) on the xmember and use the mounts from whatever engine your swApping in. I don't think these a10s have hood clearance issues....

A KA will bolt up to a NAPS transmission properly.... A KA will destroy a dogleg in short order.