ggzilla

Electronic Ignition Conversion - Factory Datsun "matchbox"

I'll wait. Wish you had a comparison of the matchbox spark. Damn.... these units are everywhere in the wrecking yards.

• Like 1

I'll wait. Wish you had a comparison of the matchbox spark. Damn.... these units are everywhere in the wrecking yards.

if i had the coil to wire up i would do the matchbox setup, ideally the remote electronic dizzy would be better.  instead of having to gut a ignition module to wire it.  Yeah the prw-2 ignition module and gm coil are easy to get a hold of

• Like 1

Skip the module and connect directly to the Red and the Green coil wires.

• Like 1

When comparing, or checking for spark in open air, you need to use a much larger gap, like cutting the ground electrode completely off the test plug.

The reason is because it takes a much stonger spark to jump (for refference) .040" under compression, than it does in open air.

The rule of thumb I have always went by is a minimum of .250" gap in open air.

On some really high compression applications, that needs to be even greater, or the engine will cut out durring full load with a standard plug gap.

The only way to get around that is to close the gap on the plug, or get a hotter ignition.

I campained a 125cc flat track bike in the mid '70s that had a 19:1 compression ratio.

The only way I could get it to run cleanly through the rpm range was to run a .016" plug gap.

• Like 1

Skip the module and connect directly to the Red and the Green coil wires.

the prw-2 ignition module does wire into the red and green wire, just used the old module to gut to run wiring through