l24 efi sluggish ecceleration or normal?

nismosilvia

Like the title states I'm curious if my cars running sluggish or normal. I recently replaced my injector harness plugs and the car seems to be running different. Seems like the motors running stronger and I'm no longer getting backfired at low rpm 2k range, I'm just not impressed with the ecceleration. Takes a while longer than IDE like to reach 3k and after that revs faster but I don't like reving that high all the time. The cars stock and Im just wondering if I'm expecting to much outa the stock engine. My tacoma is a 2.4l 4 cylinder, and I think its around the same HP, but its got all the na bolt on goodies on it so its like comparing apples and oranges lol. Z car guys what do you think lol? Thanks

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a timing light but I'm assuming its timed right it passed smog a few weeks ago. Recently cleaned dist, just cleaned cap and rodor, and contacts they looked good but I changed to msa 8mm wires, new njk plugs. I've only put maybe 200miles on the car since I've had it lol. So I'm not hitting the power band I've been uneesy about revings in that range, is that the rpms I should stay in with the 4speed?

You gotta realize, these arent built like your mom's mini van. These are built to be higher performance than your average commuter car. I had a lengthy conversation with a fella out in WA (name was Oliver I believe) he said a huge mistake people make in owning a z car is that they think they should baby it because it is old, when in fact, the motor needs you to rev it pretty high to stay in good operating condition.

And yeah, these ye ole' engines like the high RPMs. Hell they get almost as high as my EK civic. In the end, an L24 doesnt have a ton of power, but it is pretty ballsy when you consider how light and agile a 240z is.

• Like 1

What Skib and ISPKI said. Except I have met only one z owner that babys their car in the manner your friend reffered to lol.

Sure... I don't race mine anymore , but I still enjoy scooting. I do take care of my car though.

Lugging an engine is harder on it (speaking of stick shift mostly).

I try to keep my L24 about 3-4k.

4spd manual though.

Stock setup. Its fun on the freeway.

Unless you do cam , carb , and headwork to it ... whole different story where powerband is etc.

Make sure you catalytic converter and muffler arnt clogged as well.

Ignition components are like a cigarette for cars ... many needed and change often.

You can change your diff ratio if desired as well.

Gather parts for a manual swap.

Drive until auto pukes ... then swap.

Good luck and do a compression test.

Thanks for the responses guys good reading. I'm rocking a 810 not a z butt same motor and same issues lol. I took the car out for a cruise last night and I don't know what it was before maybe the ecu needed to register the new injector ends or something that and keeping it reved in shifts etc the motor feels awesome. Pulls and sounds sweet ha. I need to make a build tread for my car..

You should make one, the wiring can get old and corroded so make sure to check that as well and clean it really good. If it keeps giving you problems or if it's the wiring there is those wiring kits they sell called "painless wiring kits". Seen quite a few people use them on cars that had wiring nightmares or old wiring.

The maxima is a lot of car for a l24e, I wouldnt expect it to be peppy even new. Similar motor but not the exact same as the z. 

Drop a l28 in there when you change the trans lol. Take the mn47 head you have on the l24 and put it on a f54 l28 and you end up with a high comp motor with decent quench and flow. Ditch that Bosch bullshit for su's and toss a cam in and you'll be golden. 

The maxima is a lot of car for a l24e, I wouldnt expect it to be peppy even new. Similar motor but not the exact same as the z. 

Drop a l28 in there when you change the trans lol. Take the mn47 head you have on the l24 and put it on a f54 l28 and you end up with a high comp motor with decent quench and flow. Ditch that Bosch bullshit for su's and toss a cam in and you'll be golden. 

Semantics,but it's an 810-not a Maxima.Does the f-54 have the bosses for the power steering mounts?

Yes, semantics is the differences of meaning. It can be very very important.

"810" doesn't tell much about what you meant. The first 810s were light. The seconds 810s (910) were heavier. The Maxima 910 was a higher trim level but otherwise not much different from other 2nd-gen 810s.

No Z car sold in USA cam with the L24E engine, which all 910s used except for the Diesel-powered 910s.

I was reading a review of the first Maxima from back in the day. They said if Nissan had simply put the L28 in, it would have been a perfect car. Their only complaint was that it was underpowered.

Ah ya a 78 it is a 810. I usually just assume when talking l24e its a maxima. Did 78 come with a l24e stock?

I cant say for certain if its the exact same ones. The 280zx had PS, the pump was mounted to where the mech fuel pump is on the earlier motors. So I would say even if its not the exact same it can work rather easily. 

I would say though some heavier then others for sure that all are too heavy for a l24e to feel peppy lol. High comp early l24 in a 2200lb z barely feels peppy. 

Yaa its not fast like your guna ish your pants or anything but its definetly fun. It's got plenty of HP in my opinion for a stock car. It was a economy car back in the day not a sports car like the z. Ill make some mods to the car but I'm guna keep it simple. Headers, exhaust, intake. That will make me happy. Maximal brakes too lol

Upgrading the efi like new fuel pumps etc? Ya the recirculating ball steerings is right in the way for a store bought header. I was wondering why the stock 240 z exhaust goes from the manifold to two pipes into one? What was the point behind that instead of exhaust manifold into cat etc?

All 810's from 77-80 came with L24E as an only option mid 80's to 84 L24E was also in the Maxima but maximas had the LD28 although from what I now know very few Maximas actually did come with L28's why they did beats me but there are some out there that came factory with them not just people that swapped them in.  The 810's were pretty light compared to the maximas at least even the 810 wagons they weighed 2800lbs and thats pretty damn light for a wagon.

• Like 1

The Car is a luxury car not an economy car. So long as your happy its your car. Was just answering your original question.
The car may seem sluggish due to the fact its a heavier luxury car and the l24e doesnt make enough power. 

2800 is believable to me, the 2 door shares the same chassis with the 280zx and it weights 2600k-ish lbs. That illustrates my point though, the 280zx with a l28e is slow, by any means. I think the slowest z generation ever actually.  What if you tossed a l24e into it? then added the weight of a sedan or goon? Ya.... sluggish acceleration lol.
I have driven a 280zx 2+2 which must be at least be close to the sedans weight only with a l28e making like 25hp more and I swear it was so slow I could have taken a nap and woke up before hitting something.  

THAT is why the ld28 was an option. A welcome one too they are the most desirable of the 1st gem maximas. The reason they are now becoming rare is because people steal the crankshafts for stroker builds.