Another 620 KA24DE swap, slow but steady...

mantas

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it looks great! i have those same wheels, but we need some videos o also what all did you delete from the engine?

Keep forgetting the videos, been a bit busy the past weekend, running around trying to finish up the tire situation and exhaust for this truck. As for what i deleted.

Power Steering

EGR

Sensors for the tranmission -Speedo, neutral or reverse

Timing Chain Guide

Thats about it. But i plan on putting the lower harness back in when i have more time. Have some busy weekends coming up.

Looks great! hows the newfound power?

The power is good, i didn't realize i had to get in the 4500rpm range for it to come alive. I need brakes asap, the drums pull left or right. Also going to mock up some kind of a sway bar for the rear and get more leafs.

More updates. Today i learned where on the Fuel gauge the KA decides to cut out. Took a turn with about 2.39 gallons left in the tank and bam 2nd gear it losses a lot of power. Lucky for me i've been carrying a full gas can in the truck. Poured that in and was good to go. You can actually hear the fuel pump get louder as the fuel level reaches a critical low. I'm not going to attempt and ride her to anything past 1/3 of a tank empty since i don't want to risk clogging the pump or running the engine lean.

I was going to upload some pics but photofuckIT is not working and keeps crashing my firefox and explorer. I'll upload OICS tomorrow.

As promised a few pix.

This is why the 240sx has been having clutch problems.....just look at the holes for the spring and the master rod.

8F97F4C7-642D-479F-A504-96BBEB6ADDAB-141

Cool shot i took last night....

E9D36D33-0209-4296-B036-D00C5345823E-141

And then i spotted this guy during the weekend while going to pick up my friends chevy 327 or 350 whatever the hell it was.

2CD7CBA7-4162-4A6E-872C-CA113AA92A40-141

• 2 weeks later...

Another update. Went to FormulaD and saw a really neat 4 door 1600 all original in amazing shape - which won the classic car prize in the show. Then i saw this...

null_zps3269ebaf.jpg

This thing was sorta cool

null_zps3df73c49.jpg

And now to the real updates. Finally got my parts to do the disc brake conversion. These are beebani's brackets for the 620, i'm using Honda Passport 2002 rotors, 1988 D21 4WD front caliper and hoses - got the calipers for about $135 loaded with pads and hardware from rockauto. Rotors were around $70 from VatoZone, lines around $30 from vatozone. What everyone fails to mention is that you need a banjo bolt for the calipers. Neither (calipers/brake hoses) comes with the banjo bolts and they are usually a special order so this is just a head up to anyone doing this conversion. I'm also doing the bearings but didn't bother with the pics of that. WARNING -you should take apart the drums, i didn't do this and took my chances but if they come apart and you lose an eye by one of the springs - don't say i didn't warn you.

null_zps9ed57130.jpg

null_zps2eed1e54.jpg

null_zps4ecb39cc.jpg

null_zps6a2050f8.jpg

null_zps531b217e.jpg

The light was really doign a number so im uploading this blurry picture.

null_zpsa7c4341e.jpg

And while i was doing the upgrade, an accident happened right around the corner from my house, so i walked over to check it out. Some 16 year old kid borrowed his moms Honda and plowed into some parked cars, no one was hurt but im sure his ass is really sore after that beating his mom gave him. Its not unusual for people to speed on this street, i'm guessing he was doing at least 60mph.

null_zps3da12b0d.jpg

null_zps42c8bca4.jpg

null_zps4d7a293b.jpg

null_zps4a0dd092.jpg

Edited by mantas

Wow what a dumbass. Don't be parking in that street now :lol:

No worries, i'm far enough from the main street but i hear idiots "gunning it" down the street all day and all night. It's even worse when people (idiots) test drive the Merks at the dealership across from me. They gun it down the street and then the driver and passenger switch seats and gun it again. This is the first accident i've seen but there is a median with lots of grass where people walk their dogs and run in the mornings/evenings. So this could have been a major disaster!

Is your truck ok.

yup, the accident was around the corner from me, i just walked out of the garage to check it out and take pics.

New wheels look good!

Thank you, next time they are on the truck they will be painted. Eventually i'll powder coat them matte black - going for the baby blue/matte black theme as you can tell haha.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally i'm back to working on the truck. Did the brake upgrade but the stopping power just was not there. So instead of taking shortcuts i bled the rear brakes then the fronts and now it works like a charm. A bigger BMC would definitely help but I have a wedding in less than 4 weeks so fixing whats not broken in my last priority. Went up to Sisters Oregon 2 weekends ago and drove 30hrs in 3 days, was a blast but obviously i drove the Juke, truck wouldn't have made it half the way up. Enjoy the pics. 

null_zps3ac33326.jpg

After all this hard work (not at all actually unless its 100 out and you are sitting in a small garage) i deserve a few cold ones....

null_zps5651c645.jpg

Mt. Shasta 

null_zps3b43d5f3.jpg

null_zpsaf0b7de3.jpg

Sundial Bridge in Redding

null_zps09eb7b44.jpg

This is the building that contains all of the thieves of California. 

null_zps0d5c56d6.jpg

I have to say this little rhino looking thing is a blast to drive and the look grows on you....or does it?

null_zpsef340ccf.jpg

Got the door poppers installed on Sunday....hope the video works.

http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/montyismonty/media/2B20F3A4-6C83-4077-983D-472B75B5A291-2405-000001EE9D4696E3_zps6c7b9303.mp4.html

which BMC are you using?  

Stock but it's a brand new one which i purchased about 6months ago - bummer, might need a better one eventually.

I believe the 79 master cylinder bolts right up and has the bigger bore and front disc brake bias.

lol @ the California theives

I'll end up upgrading eventually but the brakes are good as is, if i step on it hard enough they lock up so its a sign that they work. HAHA. The thieves thing is a bit funny now that i think about it. Let me ask you a question....i just bought a new idler arm from autozone and i can't move the arm side to side, is that normal??? Or is this thing frozen in place? My current one moves no problem.

Right now i'm waiting on a tie rod because the old one has busted joints and boots so there is no way to grease them and the right wheel wobbles, as mentioned i'm replacing the outer tie rod and the idler arm. Next week i'll be getting new bushings all around hopefully. Need to make this thing a bit safer to drive. LOL.

Right on. I was going to chime in & say.....

I did the swap to twin piston D21 calipers & rotors on my 78' & the stock 13/16" BMC works perfectly fine. In most of the "how too's" here on the board it recommends a 15/16" but that BMC is an obsolete part & very expensive if you do end up finding one. On my current truck I'm going to use a 7/8" BMC just to see how much different the two BMC's feel.  

Stock but it's a brand new one which i purchased about 6months ago - bummer, might need a better one eventually.

I'll end up upgrading eventually but the brakes are good as is, if i step on it hard enough they lock up so its a sign that they work. HAHA. The thieves thing is a bit funny now that i think about it. Let me ask you a question....i just bought a new idler arm from autozone and i can't move the arm side to side, is that normal??? Or is this thing frozen in place? My current one moves no problem.

• Like 1

Haahhahahahahahahahh. Tires are brand new falken 592 if i recall but with that stretch im sure the contact sucks hahah. Brakes work great but i realized ill be upgrading that bmc soon. Dont like how low that pedal goes.

• 1 month later...

Been over a month since I posted. It has been a busy month for me, wedding, bachelor party, family here for 2 weeks - holly hell, I need a vacation from my vacation. Well the truck is running great (yes I know....even with rod knock). I have a lot of cleaning up to do, slowly digging away at it. I ended up fixing the idler arm changed some bushings and stripped some bolts but it's still a blast to drive and here are a few pix.

null_zps7f5240e9.jpg

null_zps986050fd.jpg

null_zps5eff3950.jpg

null_zps0081ae83.jpg

• Like 1

Your married now,just sell it because you will only have honey dews now.lol

Looks good

I thought of selling both my cars and the wife got mad, said i put too much work and money into them to sell them. HAHA.

• Like 2