1971 4 door 510 v8 conversion project pics added

cage looks nice man. :cool:

Sorry not a fan of cages. Usually poorly designed even it they do meet standards. They waste space on a street car making getting in or out a bitch and uncomfortable driving. For 1/4 mile you're only uncomfortable for 10 seconds. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope this project gets done. Looking at your bug(gy) it's clear that you have the skills and background to pull it off. Hopefully life doesn't derail it. Do you have an engine already? If not, I'd suggest something oversquared and high revving. They tend to be a little more peaky which is nice on a light car where traction might be an issue. The lower torque is obviously easier on the drivetrain parts too. I'd love to see an aluminum 302 in this thing. I realize the aluminum Dart and Brodix blocks are pretty spendy but deals do pop up occasionally.

I'm planning on a 327 motor which is a shorter stroke and will have a cam for more hp and less torque. All the things you say are right on the money and inthe plan. I might even run a 283 crank which is a 3.0 stroke and make a 302 dz type motor. Don't have it yet but parts are a dime a dozen here. Aluminum block will happen when the right deal comes along like you say.

Sorry not a fan of cages. Usually poorly designed even it they do meet standards. They waste space on a street car making getting in or out a bitch and uncomfortable driving. For 1/4 mile you're only uncomfortable for 10 seconds. :lol:

Driving on the street even without a cage in a fast car is scary. I've seen what a 510 looks like after hitting a tree without a cage and it's not pretty. I will deal with the challenges of in and out and have for years in other cars and you et use to it.

looking good. Not to be a dick but i hope you ditch that whale tail of a wing. :rofl:

Tail is already off and will be changing to something else just not sure what yet.

i like the firewall relocation. glad to see things done right! no offence to anyone who didnt do this before. i dont mean to be offensive, but im not digging yellow stripe thing on the side, but my oppinion doesnt really matter due to the fact that i have graffiti on my dime >.< cant wait to see videos/pictures of when she is done!

i like the firewall relocation. glad to see things done right! no offence to anyone who didnt do this before. i dont mean to be offensive, but im not digging yellow stripe thing on the side, but my oppinion doesnt really matter due to the fact that i have graffiti on my dime >.< cant wait to see videos/pictures of when she is done!

It was painted around 16 years ago and my tastes have changed too but the paint is a way later project. No offense taken everyone has an opion and I don't mind hearing them all just as long as there not being negative just to entertain themselves. B)

You will need a cage with a v8 both my sr20det cars flex so bad at the rear pillar the back seat mounts on the op of the seat will pop off under a hard launch . I need at least a weld in roll bar

I agree 100% I ran into the same thing in my 1979 trans am which was a unibody aswell and once I got serious hp the body was doing weird things.
  • 3 weeks later...

Worked on 510 today and got alot done with the trunk area and mounting the fuel tank. Finished welding the 1" square tube and almost finished the sheetmetal around outside to seal off area from outside elements. In the end I will mount the tank using butyl tape to seal off. The overall trunk will be all finished in wood (masonite type) covered in black carpet to give it a nice finished look. The battery is going on passanger side behind  boxed in panel and amp will go on back of sub box centered like fuel tank and flush mounted with the same black carpet. I'm thinking about making a boxed in area on drivers side like passanger side (where the battery will be) and flush mounting a small drawer/toolbox for the just in case/ tuning tools. I'm also thinking about either having a panel raise up by using cabinet door springs to expose the fuel tank hinged from the front under the amp and come down to just clear the fuel line/ gas cap or make a 3 or 4 panel accordian type panel using piano hinges that could fold out of the way onto the front area of fuel tank. Both of these ideas are to make the trunk area usable to haul whatever and not have to worry about the fuel tank getting scratched or damaged in process. Both of these ideas would be supported all the way around by small 1" ish step sticking out on the three sides.

Will finish metal work on trunk and seam sealer  next thursday and work on battery mount and disconnect switch. Also will start plumbing fuel system. Heres a couple pics of were I finished up.

Hole for fuel tank

100_1947_zpscca9fcf6.jpg

Fuel tank sitting in hole.

100_1948_zps49befd50.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just allittle update. Finished the trunk welding and smoothing and other screw holes aswell the old gas line holes that are now under my speaker box. Trunk is ready for seam sealer and allittle detail work on bottom. Next will weld in bracket for fuel pump/filter and a seat brace for top of rear seat mount and some tabs for rear window package tray area. Then should be able to mount speaker box and fule tank and start plumbing fuel system. At work I'm making the wood for the trunk panels and flush mount for amp. I also picked up a msd 6al and blaster 2 coil to add to my engine stuff. Little stuff but the main thing is moving forward. Pics next thursday.

looking good. Not to be a dick but i hope you ditch that whale tail of a wing. :rofl:

yeah like what in the actual fawk.....i see u trying to hide it in pics but wow ... please i can live with the jet ski paint but that wing its like a ricer sighting had sex with your thread

I'm just yanking your change ..... Well at least till over by u on the inside with a little oversteer once the boost builds ...... And for the record I will be way wide on the straight away to give u tons of room when u blow by me ......lol .. Get a expensive all aluminum v8 that would be cool as hell.....

Ps subscribed..... Wanna see this thing done and running .....glad u ditched the Wing ... No mo wing

I'm just yanking your change ..... Well at least till over by u on the inside with a little oversteer once the boost builds ...... And for the record I will be way wide on the straight away to give u tons of room when u blow by me ......lol .. Get a expensive all aluminum v8 that would be cool as hell.....

Ps subscribed..... Wanna see this thing done and running .....glad u ditched the Wing ... No mo wing

I think it will handle better than most people think and has been done before with a ford v8 and I think the key is the weight balance and keeping that in check. You can have a poorly set up car that is very light and be blown away by a much heavier car that is set up right. I hope to have a aluminum block in the end result for sure but it will all happen in stages. The car is going to be set up by design for it and will get better as I sheds the weight. At first it will have iron block and heads and have as much weight in the trunk as possible to offset it. Right now I have the battery and stereo including 2 10's and a amp in the trunk and  just use fuel in the tank to balance car for autocross/aggressive street cornering or testing. Later with alum heads will be able to have less fuel to balance and with aluminum block I will move battery and remove or make lighter speaker/amp combo. I will be putting the car on scales when it gets closer to assembly time but did make a good amout of calculations years ago when I started this and scaled it then.

I saw a very interesting special in the building of the new gtr nissan and the lead designer talked about the car being so heavy and how other people said it was to much to be a car that could handle turns well and he said if you think a car has to be light to handle means you just don't know what your talking about and I thought that was very interesting coming from the now guru of nissan design. I will try and find a link of it and maybe some nissan purists will get off only light can work. Gtr's are around 4000 lbs and so are new mustangs and vettes are exactly light at 3000. I'm not saying that light is bad or makes poor handling or that a 510 is a gtr which it's not even in the same ballpark but just have an open mind to the possiblity of a heavier than normal 510 handling well. I do know one thing when I come down the looping freeway on ramp at speed and get passed the apex and hammer the gas and go into a drift for the last section onto the freeway I will have a huge smile on my face and this is the one part my car was missing before when I did have a light 510 with a 1800 sss and tuned for autocross. Fun factor is what I'm going for not to break track records but I don't think it will be ill handling after my conversion.