New to the datsun truck scene

rat_ranger

Hi everyone. Yesterday I bought a 66 520. It already has an L20b with a 5 speed and pertronix swapped in. Body is good with no major rust. It has different seats in it but I will probably be changing them for thinner seats soon. I will also dig out my camera and get some pictures to post up. I look forward to lots of good info on here.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, the last owner made a rats nest of the wiring. The headlights work, but the driver one sometimes goes off for no reason, then comes back. The wipers weren't on a switch, they are now. The heater is not connected. And most of the replaced wires are blue. So either I need to find an uncut stock harness or drop the coin on a painless harness.

20121206095122857.jpg

Lol. I went to look at it. Saw the 5 speed, the pertronix wires coming out of the dizzy, and the webber carb and knew it was better than I thought from the add. Brakes are fine despite what the seller said, the clutch slave is the current plague. I looked at it for a few minutes and pulled out cash that was a bit less than the asking price and asked would you do this much? And they took it. Driving it around tacoma right now. In the next couple days I am adding some peep mirrors, dropping the front 2 inches, H4 headlights, and aligning it. Next step will be finding a set of 15s for it.

Nice, good info. I will probably make do with the wiring it has for now since all the lights work. But I really need to get the heater working.

The heater motor has only one hot wire, it is basicly a little stand alone mini harness.

Do you know what is wrong with the heater, electrical, or you think the problem is the heater core?

Electrical. The original heater switch is missing, it has a weird under dash duct piece I haven't seen in any pictures I have looked at. If it isn't raining tomorrow I can actually get outside with the doors open and a flashlight to track down the wires coming out of the blower motor and see if I can make it work.

Electrical. The original heater switch is missing, it has a weird under dash duct piece I haven't seen in any pictures I have looked at. If it isn't raining tomorrow I can actually get outside with the doors open and a flashlight to track down the wires coming out of the blower motor and see if I can make it work.

I don't recall how many speeds the 520 heater fan had, if it is a 4 prong(wire) plug, then I have the switch you need, that I would sell for $5.00

The heater housing has these coiled wires inside it that determine the fan speed, basicly the switch has 4(the 521 switch) wires, one is the power to the switch, the other 3 go to the motor, and the motor grounds out on the housing.

The heater plug should be on the passinger side between the glove box and radio.

I have a 66 520, but it has a 720 wiring harness in it now, so I tend to forget some of the details of the original hardware.

Seemed a little smoother with the bike in the bed. Also had better traction when taking off in the wet. Fit in the bed pretty well. Had to use a bungee cord to hold the tail gate shut. I drove it probably 60 or so miles with the bike in the bed. Did all right. With the l20b in it no problems holding highway speeds either.

yeah thats the problem with trucks. they dont handle/ride as well with an empty bed. if you apply weight to the rear to compress the springs = improves things. (that was for anyone who didnt already know.)

i guess i was asking because i was curious if you had any problem bottoming out, etc. which of course you wouldnt because its stock height. good good

as for the tailgate, you coulda just left it down if you wanted.

Ok, new slave, shifter bushings, and oil change and its like a new truck. I got a few more pictures that I will post later. I also found out the heater core is not connected at all. So it looks like little harbor frieght 12v heater for now.

Edit for pics

cimg0507.th.jpg

The engine

cimg0508s.th.jpg

The engine code

cimg0509uq.th.jpg

front end

cimg0511a.th.jpg

Inside

cimg0512y.th.jpg

The underdash vents that were installed in it. I am pretty sure they are out of a different car and not original to the truck since on the passenger side it has the area for a heater core.

So I took the heater box out and took the core out of the box. And aparently everywhere in tacoma that can test a core on its own closes at 2 on saturdays. So I have to wait until monday to get the core tested. The blower motor does work though. So I need to run a new positive wire with a switch for the blower. I could just hook it all up today, but I would rather get the core checked as it looks like it leaked before.

I don't like image shack, it won't let me copy the photo full size and post it, it looks like your posting "thumbnails", you want "full size".

That looks like a under dash AC unit from something like a 510.

Isn't there a plug on the heater box with 3 wires that go to the motor, just get a stock heater switch.