The Future of Nissan, Carlos Ghosn, pay attention.

HRH

I'm sure I've started a thread or two like this. I know I started something about the compact trucks ending as the Ford Ranger is no longer being made. Here's what I just realized after doing a very easy amount of Internet digging:

The Nissan Frontier is being trounced by:

Toyota

Ford

Chevy

Dodge

on fuel mileage. This includes full size vehicles.

Toyota (a company I hate with a blind passion) is besting the Frontier on not only mileage, but price. Fully $2000 LESS than a comparable 4x2 Frontier.

Ford, of all people, are building fullsize trucks that get BETTER fuel economy than the midsize Frontier. Consider even more damning evidence, the Ford 4x2 fullsize weighs 4685 lbs. The Frontier 4x2 weighs 3686. The f***ing Toyota weighs 3250 and is available as a standard cab 4x2.

ALL OF THEM GET BETTER MILEAGE THAN EVEN THE FOUR CYLINDER FRONTIER?! I won't even start on the Titan.

The fullsize Dodge/Chevy/Ford are within $3000-$4000 of the starting price of the Frontier, and the Toyota is $2000 BELOW the Frontier.

WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?! WHO IS AT THE HELM IN NISSAN'S COMMON SENSE DEPARTMENT?

I'm sorry, I love Datsun, and Nissan up to 1998, but on behalf of Nissan enthusiasts worldwide, please, someone, please, inform Carlos Ghosn of his epic failure in the realm of pickups, and get him to change his ways. Take a vacation in the pacific Northwest, talk to Mr. K, do SOMETHING to make Nissan the awesomeness it once was, or simply continue on until it's 1998 all over again and you end up merged with Lada or some horrible fate.

• Like 1
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I could probably guess his corporate email with a little ingenuity. If it was actually an email I would have written it better. I'm just so stunned by the fact that I would like to eventually buy a new Nissan pickup product, but in the face of common sense, price, reliability, and power, all I have to go on is brand loyalty. And while I certainly love my 510 and hardbody, it's more likely I'll import a Nissan from Venezuela before I buy another new Nissan product. I can't figure out how you go from winning "Against all odds" and transforming the Datsun name into a powerhouse, to this. When even a fullsize gets better mileage and has more power. Don't get me wrong, I love America, but it used to be the Japanese had the best stuff. Anymore, I'm not sure that's the case. Maybe in the sports car department, but that segment of the market is more useless than trucks by a darn sight. And it's just plain an embarrassment to Nissan to have the offerings they do now in the pickup department.

Titan 13/18 city/highway mpg. Chevy beats it, Ford beats it, Dodge beats it. And it starts about $6000 LOWER price. Talk about WTF. If the Nissan USA president was in my living room right now, I would bitch him out royally and he wouldn't leave the house until he had a concrete plan to fix things.

Yeah, I could probably guess his corporate email with a little ingenuity. If it was actually an email I would have written it better. I'm just so stunned by the fact that I would like to eventually buy a new Nissan pickup product, but in the face of common sense, price, reliability, and power, all I have to go on is brand loyalty. And while I certainly love my 510 and hardbody, it's more likely I'll import a Nissan from Venezuela before I buy another new Nissan product. I can't figure out how you go from winning "Against all odds" and transforming the Datsun name into a powerhouse, to this. When even a fullsize gets better mileage and has more power. Don't get me wrong, I love America, but it used to be the Japanese had the best stuff. Anymore, I'm not sure that's the case. Maybe in the sports car department, but that segment of the market is more useless than trucks by a darn sight. And it's just plain an embarrassment to Nissan to have the offerings they do now in the pickup department.

Is it any wonder I don't want Nissan to bring back the Datsun name???????

If you want quality buy and older Datsun

• Like 1

They still make the D21 in Venezuela. And the Frontier, but the Navara Frontier, it's still compact. And has an optional 3.0l turbo diesel making 110 hp and 310 ft-lbs of torque. Probably can't be released into N. America due to emissions restrictions.

Call me fickle, but my loyalties are to whomever has the better product for the best value, not whomever DID have the superior product. If you want my money, you gotta earn it.

That's how capitalism works.

I agree, and that's my point, how did we get so far from the quality offerings basket? Wasn't the slogan "Datsun Saves!"? Now it must be "Nissan wastes."

They still make the D21 in Venezuela. And the Frontier, but the Navara Frontier, it's still compact. And has an optional 3.0l turbo diesel making 110 hp and 310 ft-lbs of torque. Probably can't be released into N. America due to emissions restrictions.

Can you import just the engines?

Might be able to, I only know they sell them, haven't looked that far into it unless I have some dough. I'd like to get a whole truck brand new, of course import fees would be a bitch and who knows about emissions legality. My plan might have been to bring it in and do a little creative vin work. ;) A hardbody is a hardbody right? Just like a D22 Navara is a mid 2000ish Frontier. ;)

I agree, and that's my point, how did we get so far from the quality offerings basket? Wasn't the slogan "Datsun Saves!"? Now it must be "Nissan wastes."

Innovation springs forth from failure. When the company suffers, changes will be made, or they will go under.

FWIW, a large majority of states don't test emissions on diesels. :thumbup:

So they could bring it, just not sell it everywhere. I really hate the fact that lots of companies make diesels they never sell here. <_<

• Like 1

22R motor. Early Datsuns vs. Toyotas, Datsuns win hands down for power and reliability. Who wins? Toyota. With a boat anchor pos 22R with shitty head flow. The L made more power than the 22R, the Z24 made more power than the 22R, the KA and VG made more power than the 22R in any form. Yet somehow Toyota gets more market share. Not to mention the millions or morons I've run into who keep going on and on about their Toyotas going 300k miles with the original, worn out, pos motor. Yeah, because it makes 80 HP!!!

Did I mention I hate Toyota? :D

Oh yeah, and all the new Toyotas have shit for visibility. Blind spot central.