new to datsuns, just brought home a 510

i didnt get the best deal, or the best body (and didnt take the best pictures) but here she is, a 72 wagon:

n6ix6.jpg

6xfnD.jpg

Im new to datsuns. been all BMW for past 6+ years(i work at a dealer, PM me for parts/radio codes), but wanted a new DD. so this is what i got. theres a few items that i need before i get this car up to running shape every day, so if you guys have any of them , or know a cheap place to get them, please let me know.

hood release cable

accelerator cable

ignition switch/cylinder

valve cover gasket

timing cover gasket

several small coolant/fuel hoses in the front (is there a good online parts catalogue?)

new front seats

locking gas cap

(im sure there are many other smaller things that im forgetting)

Once i get all of that taken care of i will start driving it and then figure out what i am going to do in terms of new motor/trans/swap/suspension/brakes.

i really needed a daily so i can further strip out my 91 318is and turn that into a dedicated track car.

any help/advice is appreciated,

thanks in advance

Edited by Eric Happy Meal
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome to Ratsun nice first post with pics and all +1

look in the parts for sale on here you might find the things you need

specialty hoses and such alot are still available from nissan you just have to find a nissan dealer willing to look a bit

car looks pretty good

hmmm welcome to ratsun. nice first post at least you have brought oics (pics)

your next task will be, take oics of engine bay...a must

so for your list of things to get..'

accelerator cable- what kind of carb is on it? do you need a throttle linkage or a cable

hood release cable - well is the mechanism on the hood itself still there? and is there a pull inside the cab? if so this is ratsun i'm sure you can think of something ;)

ignition switch- ...might be hard to find

gaskets- are pretty easy, i am assuming it has the L16? ...check auto store - or online

coolant and fuel hoses- the only ones i would recommend buying for the actual application are, the one heater hose that goes from the block through the firewall to the heater core its kinda in an Z shape... and both the rad. hoses all the fuel lines you can pretty much run yourself with fuel hose from wherever

front seats - find what fits and bolt/make your mounts dont know much about the seats that fit direct

locking gas cap- might be hard to find for cheap

good luck and stay with us!!

Hood release cable info can be found here

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/19221-how-to-repair-your-hood-release-cable/

i didnt get the best deal, or the best body (and didnt take the best pictures) but here she is, a 72 wagon:

n6ix6.jpg

6xfnD.jpg

Im new to datsuns. been all BMW for past 6+ years(i work at a dealer, PM me for parts/radio codes), but wanted a new DD. so this is what i got. theres a few items that i need before i get this car up to running shape every day, so if you guys have any of them , or know a cheap place to get them, please let me know.

hood release cable

accelerator cable

ignition switch/cylinder

valve cover gasket

timing cover gasket

several small coolant/fuel hoses in the front (is there a good online parts catalogue?)

new front seats

locking gas cap

(im sure there are many other smaller things that im forgetting)

Once i get all of that taken care of i will start driving it and then figure out what i am going to do in terms of new motor/trans/swap/suspension/brakes.

i really needed a daily so i can further strip out my 91 318is and turn that into a dedicated track car.

any help/advice is appreciated,

thanks in advance

http://www.rockauto.com/ has a good online catalog to see what common parts are available. Autozone (stores everywhere) is where I got my upper and lower radiator hoses, so I suppose they have other stuff. NAPA probably too for some stuff, although I have trouble with their online catalog (site obsesses with directing me to the nearby stores. I know where the stores are, I just want to look at the parts online. Rant, rant).

Do you still have the outer housing for the speedo cable? It used to be a speedo repair shop could make a new inner cable. If there are still speedo shops anywhere.

Bungee on the starter. Stripped starter bolt? Might be good to investigate that. At least replace the oil soaked bungee.

Stock ignition switch/cylinder was in a pot metal casting which clamps to the steering column. It looks like yours may be missing. 510s have the key switch on the left side of the column which is handy for reaching through the window to crank while working on the engine. But I think the switch mount from about any '70s Datsun including Z cars and pickups which have the key on the right side will clamp to your column. So a wrecking yard Datsun should work as a donor for the mount. New lock cylinders are available from parts sources listed above. I just hope the PO didn't cut off the connector that goes into the stock switch. Be aware 510s are easy to steal, so you might be think anti-theft ideas, including how you rig the switch.

If you change the timing cover gasket (I'd do the valve cover first and see if that cures most of the leaks), there are 2 (or 3?) small bolts at the top of the cover which go up into the head. You might miss those.

I just replaced the Z shaped heater hose between the firewall and the rear of the head using a couple of Dayco 87633 hoses cut off slightly with a brass hose barb fitting between. I should have used a longer pipe to connect them as the hose clamps are right beside a brake fitting on the firewall. If someone has a different Dayco number for a 90 hose with slightly longer straight sections, please post. I made the 87633s work but could have used a bit more straight length where it goes to the block fitting above the starter. I don't remember what I used for the small hoses at the front of the engine. Something with straight hose or some number Dayco maybe shortened. Anyone? It's been awhile since I did those hoses.

What is wrong with those seats? They look better than the stock ones. About any import buckets can be adapted into a 510, although the rails may need a bit of hack and weld.

Len

I like the bungie cord on the starter. is it holding it on? lol maybe starter bolt should be on your list?

yes lol. Didn't notice that until I started snapping pictures this morning. I still haven't had a chance to dig into it yet. Out camping today with the family. Probably wont get a chance until tomorrow night.

Alright, finally got some free time to respond to everything here. great forum w/ support so far. :)

welcome to Ratsun nice first post with pics and all +1

look in the parts for sale on here you might find the things you need

specialty hoses and such alot are still available from nissan you just have to find a nissan dealer willing to look a bit

car looks pretty good

when i tried calling the local nissan dealers in the past i would always get "we cant look up parts for cars that old, but if you give me the part number i can check"

I see youre in Redondo. Two things...

1. I used to live there. I was on Avenue A and PCH.

2. Do you know Jun? Hes a great Datsun guy and lives in Redondo as well.

no i dont know him. but on the 30th im planning on going to the torrance crossroads for the meet.

yes! Another e30 guy. Looks good. Lots of work

fuck 2002's

werd. people want too much for them, and i cant use one to take my dogs anywhere.

Hood release cable info can be found here

http://community.rat...-release-cable/

thats awesome! that cable is in the same exact shape as mine lol.

Welcome another Socal Datsun! I'm right down the freeway from you dude. Ditch those mirrors and get some chrome. Great find and good luck!

cool beans. and yes, chrome fender mount mirrors are a must for me.

http://www.rockauto.com/ has a good online catalog to see what common parts are available. Autozone (stores everywhere) is where I got my upper and lower radiator hoses, so I suppose they have other stuff. NAPA probably too for some stuff, although I have trouble with their online catalog (site obsesses with directing me to the nearby stores. I know where the stores are, I just want to look at the parts online. Rant, rant).

ill look into that, thanks.

Do you still have the outer housing for the speedo cable? It used to be a speedo repair shop could make a new inner cable. If there are still speedo shops anywhere.

not sure at all, and i probably wont have any time at all during the week to work on this car :(
Bungee on the starter. Stripped starter bolt? Might be good to investigate that. At least replace the oil soaked bungee.

definitely. im really hoping the PO just lost the bolt, or stripped the head on it.
Stock ignition switch/cylinder was in a pot metal casting which clamps to the steering column. It looks like yours may be missing. 510s have the key switch on the left side of the column which is handy for reaching through the window to crank while working on the engine. But I think the switch mount from about any '70s Datsun including Z cars and pickups which have the key on the right side will clamp to your column. So a wrecking yard Datsun should work as a donor for the mount. New lock cylinders are available from parts sources listed above. I just hope the PO didn't cut off the connector that goes into the stock switch. Be aware 510s are easy to steal, so you might be think anti-theft ideas, including how you rig the switch.
yeah the whole thing is missing. and thats good to know, ill be checking out the junkyards this weekend.

If you change the timing cover gasket (I'd do the valve cover first and see if that cures most of the leaks), there are 2 (or 3?) small bolts at the top of the cover which go up into the head. You might miss those.

also good info. the PO told me the timing cover was leaking, so he replaced it and i guess he fucked it up because it started leaking again soon. and besides, its only a $30 gasket set? might as well just take care of it now (if they are available)

I just replaced the Z shaped heater hose between the firewall and the rear of the head using a couple of Dayco 87633 hoses cut off slightly with a brass hose barb fitting between. I should have used a longer pipe to connect them as the hose clamps are right beside a brake fitting on the firewall. If someone has a different Dayco number for a 90 hose with slightly longer straight sections, please post. I made the 87633s work but could have used a bit more straight length where it goes to the block fitting above the starter. I don't remember what I used for the small hoses at the front of the engine. Something with straight hose or some number Dayco maybe shortened. Anyone? It's been awhile since I did those hoses.

Theres an L-shaped coolant hose on the right side front that is leaking (in one of the pictures above) going to check out the main sites and see if its there.

whith all that grease and oil leaks it should be pretty rust fee

i was in a rush earlier and accidently quoted one picture twice, instead of posting this one:

3iZqX.jpg

and to everyone else, thanks for the welcome!

nope never seen him. but i havent been in the oldschool japanese scene since i sold my rx-2

thanks very much for rock-auto, that site is tits

current shopping cart of:

upper/lower rad hoses

radiator cap

thermostat

heater hose (hopefully it fits the smaller hoses in the front also)

water pump ($18!? is i in heaven?)

speedo cable (they have it, and its only $8!?)

clutch kit (noise occasionally when pressing in the clutch, im assuming its T/O bearing?)

engine gasket set ($75 for every gasket in the engine? seriously!?)

belt

all for $200. which i would be paying like 600+ on my 318. i think im going to enjoy datsuns :)

also is there a shifter linkage kit that anyone sells? i cant even tell if i am in gear or neutral with this thing.

If your Nissan dealer isn't interested in Datsuns then move to be near a dealer who cares! LOL. I walked into Jaremko Nissan in Spokane. Asked the salesman where the parts dept. is, and I'm looking for Datsun parts. He says "Oh Datsuns, I can remember when we sold them here." I didn't think he looked that old. I go to parts and ask for Datsun parts. Parts guy "What model? 510? Oh wow! They are the best!" He even tried to back order a couple of hopeless parts, just in case they were somewhere in the system.

Buying a complete gasket set might be a good idea. L series engines will sometimes get a leaky head gasket, so might as well have gaskets on hand. Oh and keep checking the radiator level for the first few weeks, just in case the head gasket is starting to seep. I drove my L16 for over a year before it finally went, but added a lot of coolant all along. If I hadn't been watching the level, I'd have overheated it and probably warped the head.

Don't know about the clutch. Maybe have a local Datsun guy listen to it make "the noise". If you do the clutch, be sure to do the pilot bushing in the flywheel. I think that is in a clutch kit, but I'm not certain. Also, consider new master and slave cylinders for the hydraulic clutch, if this is going to be your reliable daily. I lost the slave in my 200SX and it happened fast, no warning. And I just did both cylinders on my 510, so it is fresh in my mind what a good idea this is.

There are a couple of easy to change bushings on the shift lever pivot pin. Easy to get to when you pull the rubber boot up. That might be something from Nissan and someone on here should have a part number.

Len