Datsun B310 turbo coupe, A15 project

Atomic

What does your turbo book say about exhaust?

For most engines it is about looks. Unless sized right, especially length and diameter, it doesn't really matter. And with a turbo it won't have the collector long enough for tuned operation..

* Try-y (4 into 2 into 1)

* 4 into 1

* log manifold

Equal length runners is supposed to give a little extra peak power (good) but on in a very peaky rpm band (bad for street driving)

Unequal length runners widen the torque band (good) but do not look as cool.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What does your turbo book say about exhaust?

For most engines it is about looks. Unless sized right, especially length and diameter, it doesn't really matter. And with a turbo it won't have the collector long enough for tuned operation..

* Try-y (4 into 2 into 1)

* 4 into 1

* log manifold

Equal length runners is supposed to give a little extra peak power (good) but on in a very peaky rpm band (bad for street driving)

Unequal length runners widen the torque band (good) but do not look as cool.

Well, 4-2-1 as I'm currently building doesn't build up hot spots as log manifold does. And I'm afraid that I don't have enough space for 4-1. And yes, unequal length runners will provide wider torque band. Personally I don't really care about how it will look, I'm more into how it will perform and how can I modify the build that it would work.

Main issues are: original manifold and limited space (steering box and master cylinder).

Also, when building log style manifolds and the pipe size doesn't change, it can build up a back pressure that can be harmful for the engine as the hot gasses try to go back to the cylinder. And as for piping, 1,5mm thick pipe is good, because thick pipes tend to build up heat and create more thermal expansion. Material choices can be critical too, and I picked AISI 304 for durability and not conducting heat as much as bare metal ( more heat to the turbo = more power[turbo rotor spins faster with more bouncing molecules] ).

Otherwise it's kinda free to build a manifold to suit your application, remember to avoid steep angles.

If you need more information about pipe sizing and collector making, I can import some pictures and charts here :)

Good info.

Most of us just cobble together a system and then are excited that it has more HP than stock. Then a guy like Kimmo Priuska comes along and gets 200+ HP out of an A14.

It shows the value of proper design.

I found some information about Kimmo Priuska:

Datsun 140y A14 turbo megasquirt 0.8bar 0-180kmh 180hp 215nm ...

That just reminds me that one friend of mine has same amount of hp from his A14 engine. Here is a youtube vid:

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Sorry guys for not updating anything. I somehow fucked up tig welding and I need more practice. So the manifold could take a long time before it's ready... Unless I will have some friend who would be willing to do it for me

for TIG....PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE !!!!

buy a box of rods only for practice!!! and practice on dumb thing like filling a 1/8 in gap.

joining a 90 degree 

keeping temps even and puddles uniform

make sure your puddles are shiny before you dab and keep your rod far enuf away so it doesn't get to hot to early  

• 5 weeks later...

Any updates?

If you still need help with welding the manifold I might be able to help you

No updates so far, my daily driver broke down... :( 

How would you help? And yes, I'm still stuck in manifold welding,haha

And other bad news is that our MIG welding machine broke down...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not dead yet!

I have been very busy lately and stuff has being happening. Like our MIG and TIG machines broke down. So I need to take the exhaust parts to someone who can weld them. I will go to biltema next week and see if volvo 240 brake calibers fit with my mazda brake plates. 

Oh and here's a picture of my painted tranny:

20140628_172212_by_atomicsickness-d7obmn

• Like 1

Good new everyone!

It seems my strut modification will work :)

Datsun b310 struts lowered 10cm and Opel Cadet gas shock absorbers, lowering kit, mazda 626 cooled brakes and volvo 240 brake kit.

girling_20calipers_20prepainting13727913

Just need to flatten out these red sections and it will bolt on to the datsun front struts. Hurray!

• Like 2

What kind a lowering kit?

Volvo 4-piston calipers from a 240DL wagon bolt to the B310 strut fine, but have different style flare fittings. Have the B310 outer hubs turned down to 140mm diameter. Or use vented discs such as Subaru Leone.

I use mazda 626 ventilated disks :) And the lowering kit should be somekind of standard. You can browse my pages to see how I made them fit (need to use lathe etc.)

20131214_154455_1__by_atomicsickness-d6x

4-piston brakes are totally overkill for this project. But it was cheap, 128 euros :) (brake calibers)

Problem with those calibers are going to be that my rim selection is going to be narrower.As you can see the caliber pistons are about 2cm in difference with depth of the rotor

Looks good. Any and all 14":rims should fit.

I don't think diameter is the concern? It looks like the caliper sticks out farther than the hub face? Some wheels are shaped on the back side in such a way that the "spoke" section will hit that caliper. Had this problem myself running 4-pistons before. 

• Like 3
  • Atomic changed the title to Datsun B310 turbo coupe, A15 project