coolant leak from head?? help

79620kc

hey guys me again really need help...the fixture where the coolant comes out of the head on my l20b and goes to my heater core is leaking and its bc the metal is shit and rusted...does this have to be replaced??or can i just find a plug for it that fits bc my heater core is fucked anyway..

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's rusted enough to leak, it may break when you try to remove it.

One common problem is rust buildup on the outside of the fitting, that breaks the seal of the rubber-to-metal contact. So remove the hose and clean it up. Be sure to clean inside the end of the hose too. Problem solved?

It is not better to use a plug or not use a plug. But your heater won't work if you plug it. Plug does not affect the engine (when the heater lever is on the cold side, the heater hose flow is blocked and it doesn't hurt the engine).

my heater doesnt work anyway thats the thing

the L outlet is the problem the top where the hose connects is rusted away which is why it is leaking

idk what to do... i think plugging it would be easier not cheaper...jus dont use the heater anyway..when i first saw that it was leaking i replaced the hoses all the way to the heater core and they were FILLED with crud and i mean FILLEDDDDDD so i thought that was the problem but appearently not

You can plug it.However,it's better if you don't and connect it to the hose that runs back from the lower waterneck.

I wouldn't run a hose between the two. Plugging them off is better. If you connect the two it creates a hot spot in the coolant circulation.

But the right fitting is only a couple bucks. Replace it and buy a heater core.

Whenever I replace a coolant or heater hose I first lube the fitting and the first one inch of the hose with silicone grease. Just a wipe, don't overdo it! Aids the seal and allows for easy disconnect when you are checking or replacing the hose / fitting. Too late to help the current situation but plan ahead.

Whenever I replace a coolant or heater hose I first lube the fitting and the first one inch of the hose with silicone grease. Just a wipe, don't overdo it! Aids the seal and allows for easy disconnect when you are checking or replacing the hose / fitting. Too late to help the current situation but plan ahead.

A great tip !! Thanks much.