Tailgate latch relocate help

converted_to_datsun

So my truck had the tailgate welded shut and I cut it open and got a new tailgate cause I wanna use it as a truck.

So onto my question... I've heard from a few people you can relocate the latches to the inside. Anyone have pics? I wanna see everything including the piece that the latch grabbs to latch shut

Here's some pics cause we all love oic's

Welded tailgate

004-1.jpg

Cut open

FA17A606-8692-43DA-87AC-013510F43F66-1673-000003C5A6EFC9EE.jpg

New tailgate

E7E96D2B-FA41-48DE-AF99-8D2C49D51021-4676-000008CADFB3E339.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a latch off and place it on the inside top lip. When you got the tailgate you probably didn't get the other end on the box that the latch slides into. Should be easy enough to weld something in there. Those other latches look like shit. A fence staple and a bent nail would be just as good.

You can do this, so make it right. You'll be glad you did every time you look at it.

• Like 1

A few members have done it before, but these guys, I think, did it the cleanest. Fontana620 and I believe the other one was Figbuck. Find their build threads.

Also need to remember, the stock latch grabs a hook type nub and pulls the bed corners inward to secure the tail gate. Those latched your showing, just blocks the tailgate from opening.

Larry

I have seen seatbelt buckles used on the inside, they were mounted in such a way that when you shut it they just latched, but when you opened it, you had to push the botton on both sides.

When I think about it right now, it seems like something would have to stick up for it to work though. :crying:

Seems like if it stuck up, it could get bent, but these were classic trucks that never hauled anything anymore.