72 510, new start!!

Ok for one thing, if your not going to post constructive criticism then go fly a kite

You don't know me or what I am capable of, or my intentions all I've asked for from the beginning is some advice from people who have done the work

I don't care for becoming the "drifter" you guys are thinking I wanted the car to drift.... If I decide to not do it, then cool.

The SR is going in tho, and like I said before and I'll say it again I have cash to spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally understand, but if hadn't baught this car, it would still be sitting in this bum ass guys backyard rotting away.... So what's better? Giving it new light or it still siting there going no where? I didn't se anyone for the past six years trying to buy it....

I think most people on this site would be happy to have a functioning and drive able 510 regardless of the power plant. You said it ran, so just make it driveable. But instead you pulled a perfectly functioning motor to create yet another project rendering the car undriveable. The route most would have chosen would be to drive it while you can while collecting ALL the necessary parts and then do the swap. Good luck with you project. I hope it turns out badass.

but if hadn't baught this car, it would still be sitting in this bum ass guys backyard rotting away.... So what's better?

That depends on what you do with it. If you drift it, and smash it into a wall, then it would have been better off sitting in the guys back yard. There aren't many of these left, unlike the Camaro's. As the guys have pointed out, they aren't good drift cars. They also aren't good drag racing cars. They just aren't. They excel very well at turning on mountain roads and turning at the track. That's what they do. The reason so many people use 240SX's for drift is because due to their design the cars are very light in the back, and from the factory have a tendency to slip the rear end out. The 510 isn't like that.

As far as what you're capable of, no, we have no idea. But there are guys who have been around the 510 scene for a long time, and have seen everything, and therefore are able to give solid advice. The newbs don't usually listen to it. Every new 510 owner wants to throw in an SR20, without taking the time to drive the car, learn, and see what they really want or need. In the spirit of the other poster, "If I had a dime for every new 510 owner that says his first order of business was an SR20", I'd be rich. The SR20 is cool, but there's a ton of other options out there. You may have the parts "hook-up", but unless your buddy specializes in SR20 or Datsun stuff, parts are not easy to get. It's not like the Camaro, when you can go to any parts store and get what you need. The SR20 makes that exponentially worse, because that engine was never even sold here. KA24 turbo would be sweet, and your hook-up could probably get (some) parts for those. VG30's are great too, and a VG30 *turbo* 510 will out run anything on the road.

Just FYI, SR swaps take FOREVER, due to all the work that needs to be done. Wiring, exhaust, mounts, and a pile of intercooler tubing. Keep the car drivable until you have all the parts you need.

As for the L-16, the only people who want those are the race crowd, as rebuild-able L-16 blocks are getting hard to find. Nobody with a street car will want it.

im sorry but the last thing i will do is smash this car into a wall, and i think your the second or third person to say that....and my camaro was stolen and chopped it was not a drift car, it was not a drag car it was my daily in the summer, (i am and willing to do a full build, i understand the work)I have as long as i want....the car is flinstone styles, alot of work ahead, it wasnt and is not road worthy, not by a mile. My friend just told me to do an sr swap, i am not familiar with really any jdm engine's

That L16 by itself isn't worth much but the parts on it might be, so don't throw it in the dumpster. It doesn't sound like you are the type of guy that would do that, but you'd be surprised how many guys I have bought cars from who just "threw it in the trash" or scraped em. Depending on the casting number the head may be valuable, the carbs and intake probably have some value too and if you plan on swapping the old trans out check if it's a 5-speed, they have value too.

The SR20 is a cool swap but before making up your mind do some research on other options like the KA24 and VG30 (vg30.com sells install kits). I have heard that the SR20 is the most expensive of the three. Spend less on the motor swap and you'll have more for bodywork, suspension, brakes, interior, ect.

Alright calm down .... We only say this cause we seen of happen several time and don't wanna so it again..... U asked wha would have happened to the car if u didn't take it and disassemble It .... I would imagine it would go to another Datsun enthusiast at some point in time and get happy happy happy..... Just hopefully not your dad.... You should nut tap face slap him for suggesting the junkyard...

U mentions du have no knowledge of Jdm swaps or the likes.... Wouldn't that be all the more reason to slow down and really take It all in before u decide what u are gonna do.... The drift sometimes comment Isnt what u originally said......u said I wanna drift it ..... Trust is we seen it ..... And we seen it several times the car is made to eat the road and aliniut sick times not be judged on its ability to hang its ass out...... Ps drifting is a rolling car show cause every "race" I seen had a start and a finish and involved passing not points for smokeyness....

U say I'm doing a sr swap..... Well to import a sr is about 2600 then all u have is a motor and tranny on a pallet...... Most sr swaps take about 5 to 6 k in parts if u are starting from scratch or camaro background then u for sure will be spending every it of that and then it has to go in which will cost more money, time and head scratching and researching..... Which is fine but in the end u will have 8 k wrapped up in a wall dart..... Go google 510 drift u won't see one video of a formula d event with a 510 in it.....that was actually suprising to me after all of people who set out to build a drift yet u don't see one at all anywhere..... But if u went to your local auto cross I bet u would see a couple and they would shock u the cars they are ahead of.....and most of the datsuns will be beating on others with a tired old l series

We aren't trying to discourage u as much as say we have seen this a million times and its never worked out ever...... It always ends up in a wall ......lol jus trust us build a driver u will order us all beers and hookers for saving u the trouble..... U have scored a rad little starting point in the 510 pictured don't piss off yourself by makig it something it's not gonna be ever and that's a s13 tire frying wall scrapin machine

Honestly coming from someone who has owned a 300whp sr powered 240sx and about 10 510's I personally have a KA24DE in my 510. It's plenty of power, lot's of torque and muuuuuuch easier to install and maintain. I would start with fixing that rust in the frontend and drop that L16 back in for some fun. These cars are expensive enough without throwing 8K into just getting an SR setup right.

Get a cheap KA and put the rest into stuff that will make the car look, handle and stop better.

Just my opinion.

If you want someone local to bounce some ideas off of, send me a PM.

I think there was someone on kijiji looking for a running l16 and 4spd locally, the west coast guys have no idea how hard it is to find any datsun parts around here, so don't throw anything away.

Research the swap before you jump in with both feet. Lots of great info on here.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...