z20e long rod short block rebuilt 300$

I have a 200sx 1981 z20e with factory flat top pistons the car it came out of had 45k but the motor has been rebuilt so it should be way less than that on the engine

I was going to build a high revving lz20 with it but dont have time or money, throw a closed chamber head and big cam and it should be around 150hp rebello told me if the did the head with a 38/38 webber they could get 180hp with this bottom end and with side drafts they could get more also have a NEW z20e and l20b head gaskets that go with it located in vancouver wa 503-740-2454

2012-10-27_09-51-29_83.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to swap l20 timing cover and distributor and whatever l series oil pan and pick up your datsun requires. Compression depends onwhat head you use. The pistons have about 4cc of valve relief in them. With a closed chamber head it should be high compression

This answers my first question. You also answered the second. But how do the carbed 8 pluggers actually deal with ignition though?

Now you make me wanna be in the market LOL.

if your talking in stock trim? they have 2 coils and 2 pickups in the distributor they work just like any other distributor just with 2 plugs per cylinder

on topic this is a nice set up

When you swap the l series head on you ditch the 8 wire setup and used l20 distributor. This is a long rod motor so it should rev like a l16 but have the displacement of a l20. This is not the same stroke as an l20b this motor uses longer rods so its more square so that makes it rev happy without putting stress on the bottom end.

Ah, it's a short block. No cylinder head.

Guys, if you want to put the Z head back on, you can run the 8-plug distributor without a computer -- it's similar to a matchbox it will run standalone. Or use the 4-plug Z20 head.

Z20 is a good engine for a 2-liter.

So if it doesn't have the same stroke, what crank is in it? Z20E cranks have the exact same throw as a L20B and Z20S. L20B, Z20S, and Z20E all had identical displacement- 1952cc, with an identical 85mm bore and 86mm stroke. The rod length differences between a Z20E and Z20S (and L20B) was due to different piston pin heights, not crankpin throw differences.

What doug said. I have an '80 Z20E crank.... fully counterweighted and marked U60 same as the L20B crank... you can't tell them appart.

Compression wit a stock Z20E head is 8.5

With an open chamber L head 8.9

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.