I need to go faster and not pay the big bucks!

Panda

PANDA

Your making yourself look bad on here

Dont worry about the muffler and crap like that yet.

I asked you to take photos of everything

If you got electrcal isses you should take photos of the harness and fuse box (Photos!!!!!)

Most times the harness can be fixed Unless totally hacked up.

Now get a test light for 5$. ground one end and place it on all the conncetors in back of the lamps outer and inner(highs) with the pointy end. if it lights up then power is getting to the lamp. Then its a ground proplem from the switch or thru the relay.

If NO power at the lamp ck the fuse box. swap the fuse or remove the fuse box and look under neath the wire could be broken.

as for pipe size I run a 1.75 in with 40mm Mikunis carbs and cam,I dont know where people getting 2.25 and 2.5 in on a L motor is a Joke in m Opinion

+1 You're getting too far ahead of yourself... it's time for you to do a LOT of research. You can find ANYTHING on Ratsun, you just got to look for it.

2.5" exhaust on an L series??? I run 2.5" with my KA 510 and wouldn't go any bigger...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys!, Im new to Ratsun and need some help! (Sorry if this is a noob question) I have a 1972, 510 with a stock l16. And i'm tired of going 45 in 4th gear with my tac at 3,000rpm and people going around me! Any crazy little tricks to go just a little faster?

Thanks guys for the replies...... im looking into new exhaust and carb would that help any?

I have been looking for l18/l20 but im broke. Im keeping up with traffic but im pushing my motor to hard i think and my temp is pretty high all the time. Im getting a new electric fan (Im putting a new harness in so im adding a fan in the project). How can I see about my timing?

Alright here is the story! drove it at 50mph (Don't know for sure, i have no speedo) at like 4.5 on my tac heat stayed around the M in temp im so happy now! you guys made a monster haha. Hoping to take it to the beach next week. If i put new muffler on it will it keep it cooler? I think it a stock muffler on it now. If so whats a good brand size ect. Thanks!

So buying a muffler is for the nosies? How do L16 do straight piped?

I think from his posts it's clear that he's not knowledgeable about his car and he says he's broke so a $300 engine swap may be a bit much. Simple things like setting timing, cleaning spark plugs, setting the points and valve lash are cheap and relatively easy with few tools and there is enough help here to get it done.

First I would begin with making sure your L16 is putting out all it's designed to do.

Set valve lash

Replace plugs, wires, cap and rotor and points.

Now set timing

Check that secondary on carb is free to open

I've driven an L16 510 and they are FUN!!! Easily do highway speeds hell my L18 auto does 90 MPH.

Simple, easy, cheap.

Work up to an engine swap neat year.

MY goodness!!!!!

engine dont look that bad/ the wires by coil can be cleaned up but Im sure the new harness might take care if this if you know how the ballast resisitor and coil work together for a point ignition.

I pretty much wont be able to Help here as I dont have a wire digram for your system.

I dont know if you harness is switchable power or swichable ground for the Headlamps.

Maybe you can just parerall the new harness just for the lights and keep the rest of the 510 fuse box as most that stuff work right?

• Like 1

Your reverse lights are probably about the simplest thing on your car.

When the key is on, power is applied to the reverse light switch on the transmission.

When the transmission is in reverse, the reverse light switch passes the power to the reverse lights.

If the lights are on when not is reverse, you got the wrong switch on the transmission.

as for pipe size I run a 1.75 in with 40mm Mikunis carbs and cam,I dont know where people getting 2.25 and 2.5 in on a L motor is a Joke in m Opinion

I have a L20 with hitochi carbs and no cam connected to a 2 1/2" straight pipe with a flowmaster in the middle which it makes it sound like a V8. Haha

Do one project at a time. Finish the wiring first, then move onto the next issue.

Can you find someone near you to help out, or at least answer some questions in person? It would make the conversations a LOT easier for you. All the questions you've had could be answered, correctly, in just a few minutes. It's sometimes difficult to convey things, and get the answers, while doing it all online. Maybe meet up with some guys at a local meet and chat with them for a while.

You really should just drive it for a while, as it is, before you jump into any projects with it. Take the time to find out what you really want, or need, for that matter. Your idea of what you want will probably change after driving it, doing months worth or research, and meeting up with some people and checking out their cars.

Don't mess with the exhaust until you get a bigger motor. The engines need some backpressure if you want any torque. Two inches is fine on an L-20, or even 2.25, but anything more is too big unless it's a race motor.

• Like 1