New (to me) '72 521!

Aaronstutz

Hey all, I just got my first Datsun, discovered this forum, and decided I'd join up. Seems like there's tons of excellent info and people to learn from on here.

I noticed that new folks were posting up pictures, so here ya go.

2012-10-20170052_zpsc20bd5eb.jpg

2012-10-20170433_zpse5382b3c.jpg

2012-10-20170105_zps26588090.jpg

2012-10-21180903_zps06fcc7db.jpg

2012-10-21180919_zps855b30ef.jpg

2012-10-21180933_zpsc6733b4a.jpg

2012-10-21180954_zps29fe354e.jpg

2012-10-21181036_zps62acc878.jpg

2012-10-21181108_zpsed810ee2.jpg

2012-10-21181100_zps365a854d.jpg

Looking forward to learning more and annoying the crap out of you all with questions!

Cheers.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome. Great job with the pics. It looks like your fuel line has been rerouted. Lets see a pic of that radiator as it's not original. I thought you didn't have a radiator for a minute. You have a weber on it thats good. You have the speaker thats kinda hard to find too. If thats a red light switch knob on the floor you may want to save/repair it as they are rare and sought after.

I actually got it in a trade for some remodel work I did, so its kinda hard to nail it down to an actual dollar amount.

It runs beautifully, according to the person I got it from it had an "engine rebuild" 5k miles ago. We'll see about that once I get into it further. The radiator definitely isn't stock, and I was just comparing that fuel line to some other pics. Its definitely something different. That's a red battery terminal cap on the floor, sorry to disappoint.

My plans start with rekeying the locks & ignition (got a screwdriver that works pretty well right now), getting a pipe bent for it (the aftermarket muffler fell off in the parking lot), and getting some mirrors. Then, we'll see. I'd like to daily drive it for a bit just to work out the kinks.

There was a 521 in the Sherwood Pick-n-Pull, two weeks ago, and according to the P-n-P website, it is still there.

When I was there, two weeks ago, it still had a tailgate.

To remove a 521 tailgate, you need a hammer, a 1/4 punch, and a good pair of vice grips. You use the punch to drive the pin out of the tailgate hinge, to start, and after one end of the pin is out, you grab it tightly with the vice grips, and remove it all the way, by tapping on the side of the vice grip jaws, close to the pin.

Welcome to Ratsun, good job starting out with pictures. Looks like a pretty decent truck.

• 3 months later...

So, sad news on this project.  I decided to fill the tank all the way the other day, instead of just putting 5 bucks in at a time. After a minute, there was a waterfall sound, and I lost about a gallon of gas on the concrete. Ouch.

I did some investigation, found that the tank itself was leaking, and after a couple beers decided it was time to pull it and see what was really going on.  Here's what I found:

2013-01-15223842_zps8f846e13.jpg

The front seam is split and peeling apart, at least in the places where it even exists.  Apparently somebody tried to JB Weld over the rust holes at some point, because right above the seam there are a bunch of globs of JB. Word of advice, JB won't seal your tank, at least not in that location.

I've done some searching, & posted a couple wanted ads, but no luck so far on anybody having a replacement. I'm thinking about having it dipped, and taking it to a buddy of mine that said he could "probably" weld it up and pressure test it. Problem is, finding someone in the Portland, OR area to dip it. No luck so far there either.

So, any advice on my options?