510 front suspension upgrade help

IneedHelp

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard too upgrade anything without mods. So in order of cheapness

Empty out the strut oil and replace with 20W motorcycle fork oil. This will increase or at the least return the dampening to stock. The thicker oil is harder to push through the valves so gives a firmer action. I paid $17 for a liter Bellray fork oil, enough for three struts worth. It has lots of anti foaming and rust inhibitors but $5 a gallon 20W hydraulic jack oil will work too.

As long as the strut is out and spring off.. cut one coil off. (if one is good 2 would be better is totally wrong thinking here) Removing spring coils increases the spring rate, a good thing, but only to a point. Once removed it can't be put back so if you feel that you want stiffer go 1/4 of a spring at a time.

Now you could probably stop here and assemble your strut and things would be fine... but likely the front end would sit lower. The suspension travel distance is reduced so you are closer to bottoming the strut out, BUT the spring rate is higher too so it's harder to do this now and it sort of averages out.

Or, you can trim the lower spring perches off and grind off the weld so the strut tube is smooth. Purchase a pair of 2" split collars and mount on the strut tube slide the lower spring perch on, the spring and finish assembling the strut. Your struts are now adjustable for ride height. Install on car and use a hydraulic jack to compress the spring, slide the split collar up and fasten it just under the spring perch. Do both sides and set car down. Repeat until you get the ride height where you want it. Split collars are $10-$15 each. Because your strut length is unchanged you cannot lower it as much as you might like but 2 1/2" to 3" is reasonable. Total cost for all the above.... under $50.

Score around just above weld.

.strutmods004Large-1.jpg

Tap loose.

strutmods005Large-1.jpg

strutmods006Large.jpg

Weld needs to be ground down smooth

76goonstruts002Large.jpg

Split collar.

strutmods010Large.jpg

I have an extra pair I can sell you - $22 for the pair plus postage.($5.35 for a small Priority box). PM me if you are interested.

"Shaft collars" seems to be the official name for these things. When I was looking for them, I found http://www.fastenal.com/web/home.ex as a possible source, although I didn't buy from them. It looks like their 2" collars are $12.81 each "Wholesale", but I don't know if that price is the same in their stores. They have a store locator, so you can see if there is a location near you. Don't know what shipping is if you buy from them online.

Len

Thanks. I went and picked up a few set of muffler clamps and will proceed that way. Super cheap, and just as effective according to some 510 veterans. I just got done grinding down the 280zx struts and I'm going to clean the 510 perches and paint them up. I think I'm good. Between that and the brackets for the rear disc conversion, I'm pretty close to getting the car to stop on... well... a dime, what else?

About 2 days after I did a BIN on eBay for collars, I stumbled onto the idea of using muffler clamps. Don't know why I hadn't seen it before, as I had been reading lots on strut transplants. I probably still would have gone with collars, since I tend to be paranoid about things breaking and coming loose. By dumb luck, what I got off eBay are genuine Ruland collars, and the boxes look old enough that I'm pretty sure they are USA, not China. If I'd gotten muffler clamps or China collars, I suspect either would have worked fine. Do I feel better about having "quality" collars? Yeah I do, even though I know it doesn't matter especially. And until I actually get the ZX struts installed, it REALLY doesn't matter!

Len

The old Jason Gray write-up says that the muffler clamps, along with lock washers, do the job. It's the carriages from the muffler clamps; you dump the u-bolts and use two carriages around the shaft.

With as cheap and available as shaft collars are, I think it would be wise to use those just for the extra peace of mind.

• 3 weeks later...

Does the lower spring perch need any reinforcing where it meets the collar or are all the angles enough? It wont bend or deform or crumple since there's no solid weld will it?

I don't understand what you're asking. If you're referring to the strut tube itself, those are pretty thick. No chance you could do damage with a split collar.