rear end junkyard check

king bee66

i want to buy an h90 solid axle from a yard, but i have no idea how to check if its worth it. what are some things i should look for?

the first thing that makes me weary is that its that its sitting with one tire mounted and the other is the rotor in the dirt. eyeballing it, it didnt look bent but id like a more scientific way of checking it.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

want to buy an h90 solid axle from a yard, but i have no idea how to check if its worth it. what are some things i should look for?

Take off the brake pads and driveshaft then turn the axles. Should turn smoothly with no binding or noises. Remove the drain plug and see if their is water or rust in the oil.

H90 is kinda small, might want to look for an H190.

I like the '82-'83 axle better than the '80-'81. The calipers just look nicer. The early ones look like the front calipers from a 620.

The 80-81 200SX is an H165, the later 82-83 is an H190. I chased all over trying to find an H190 200SX rear for my racecar. Count the bolts holding the center into the axle housing, On the H165 and smaller there are 8 bolts, the H190 has 10.

If you are putting it into B210, look for an H190 from a 68-73 510 Wagon, These are narrower and a better fit. I have a 510 Wagon axle in my 1200.

Here is a thread to help identify the H165 from the H190.

http://community.rat...d-h165-or-h190/

What would you be recommending if he said he wanted something that wasn't rare and could be had with LSD?

I know the lug pattern and brakes are all wrong but I've wondered what the width of a Suzuki Samurai rear end would be with two short side axles so you could use a LSD that wouldn't be hens teeth at BMW prices. It seams like all the affordable LSD units are for rearends that are a lot heavier than a 1200 would want. The Sami rearend is also interesting because the front carrier is aluminum and can be swapped to the rear if you use the correct spiders. Not saying this is easy but a light rearend with a 6.9 Ring gear and good LSD support is interesting for a 1200.

The 80-81 200SX is an H165, the later 82-83 is an H190. I chased all over trying to find an H190 200SX rear for my racecar. Count the bolts holding the center into the axle housing, On the H165 and smaller there are 8 bolts, the H190 has 10.

If you are putting it into B210, look for an H190 from a 68-73 510 Wagon, These are narrower and a better fit. I have a 510 Wagon axle in my 1200.

Here is a thread to help identify the H165 from the H190.

http://community.rat...d-h165-or-h190/

according to that link its an '83 with an HE. i understand that the s110 is a bit wider and doesnt use leaf springs like the b210 but being in texas, i take what i can get.

rotor to rotor, whats a fair price if everything is in order with it? it has surface rust in all the normal places of a car thats been sitting awhile

its not going right on to my car so maybe i can trade with someone at some point. did the wagons a solid axle?

Being its an H190 w/Disc grab it up ($100-$150 for everything would be a good price IMO). They are not very common and it certainly can be used for barter.

I carved off all the brackets from the one I bought and welded on new brackets for a 3 link with a watts linkage to go in my racecar. Welding on leaf spring brackets would be much easier.

The 510 wagon axle is about 54" wide (hub face to hub face). If my memory is correct the H190 200SX was about 56"

An option for you if the width is too wide is to use a high offset wheel (+40 or so). The 4 x 114.3 pattern was used on a number of FWD cars (Hondas, Nissans, Kias) so finding a high positive offset wheel should be easy.

Here is a 16 x 6 +43 from a Kia Spectra with a 4 x 114.3 bolt pattern.

IMG_1707.JPG

• 2 weeks later...