Jccs 2008!

You all bring up good points, I think that if you don't have an engine swap your not going to get to many votes. I also think that jccs is one of the best shows, But it should be peoples choice.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You all bring up good points, I think that if you don't have an engine swap your not going to get to many votes. I also think that jccs is one of the best shows, But it should be peoples choice.

didn't it used to be? anyways, it's the promoters' decision, and they wanna let the vendors be the judges

besides, a lot of the same cars would still win even if it was people's choice

if i remember correctly, the surfside and turfside shows were also judged (by friends of the promoter)

Edited by Burabuda
Guest jaimesix
My 2 cents worth............. Ron, Lawrence and Myself have been doing this show since day one. We have commented on this a few times. It gets down to this........... It appears that what They notice with Us is one thing. Not paint jobs, not wheels, not interiors but engines. Lawrence actually is the only one to break into this so far. They like the motors. Now I was watching closer this year as I have never opened My hood before at JCCS. Guy has for two years now. I watch the attention that spectatiors and photographers give to Our trucks. Last Year a lot of people were looking at Lawrences truck in the engine compartment. Also, I was watching spectatiors looking BREIFLY at Guys V6, which if any of You have seen in person, was done very professionally by an engineer years ago. Very clean instilation that still blows Me away. But they seem to just casually glance as they pass by. This year I slightly opened Choptana's hood and watched all day as people crooked Their necks trying to see what had been done. I've admitted that I've NEVER (in 35 years) been a motorhead and I am FAR from having a nice looking engine compartment, but they just HAD to see what was done with an L motor. At least that's what I was noticing. So American motor transplants don't interest them, but what has been done to Japanese motors. Mark, correct Me if I'm wrong, but how many were looking at Your nicely done sidedraft engine? I am guessing that quite a few at all the JCCS shows You've been at. They want to see a Japanese product that has been modified. Remember all the pictures taken of Ryan's engine compartment? It even made Truck Trends. They don't seem to get airdams, fenderflares, shaved hooks and such like We do. Yes, We are still breaking into Their niche and probibly always will. But what We DO HAVE now is a family. T-shirts, plaques and a banner. They are definately seeing that increasing. And I predict that We will continue to grow by at least 2 or 3 trucks per year. As long as We register EARLY, they will have to acknowledge Our presence one day. Will We ever pull trophys??? At this point I don't care. I just want to spend the day with My family.

Hi.

I understand what you are saying, and it makes sense. My problem with the way Datsun comes on to these shows is the separatism. You are talking about Datsun trucks. That is an excellent group, I love 620 trucks myself, my father bought a brand new Datsun 620 truck when I was like 11 y/o, and I loved it. My older brother inherited the truck upon graduating HS and he fixed it up with cool low suspension, 50 series tires and ther like. At the show I saw the trucks , walked by them and looked at them( nobody around at that time next to the trucks, all of them alone ) then I talked for a long time with the owner of the B210. We walked to my 710 and we had a cool talk.

In the same way the 620 truck group gets together and becomes the "620 Truck Group", the Datsun 510 guys, the Datsun "Z" guys, the Datsun Roadster guys, all these separate and different groups appear as separate entities.

While the Toyota Brand shows ijn force, as a "brand", the Honda group, also appears as a "brand", the Datsun brand appears as "groups", wether it is the 510ers, the "Z"ers, the 620ers, the Roadsters and the like.

The Datsun brand has no force, it is a sum of different factions, and if you ask a 510er, about 610s, or a 620er, about 710s, or a "Z"er about B210s, or a Roadster driver, about 620s, and the like, you get people that drive Datsuns, but in reality are model exclusive, not "Datsun" brand rank and filers.

About the Toyota cars with swaps and incredible interiors, what I remember seing was regular Toyotas, and a bunch of performance oriented nice rides like the Toyota Starlet ( orange one ). Most of the Toyotas where not that special, many 510s had more work and technical improvements in them. While the problem with 510s ( in my opinion) is probably a lack of elasticity ( all modified 510s look the same, chromed wheels, SR20 engines, nothing new to see )the problem with the Datsun brand is the lack of a concept of "brand".

The most noticeable Datsun models act as if they each owned the Datsun "brand" seal, leaving the rest of the "other" Datsuns as undesireable, not worthy of recognition, not a true Datsun car.

That is why car shows can manipulate, rest importance, and put aside Datsun cars, because the Datsun brand is nothing but a collwection of smaller "groups". If you want to conquer your rivals, 1st step is to divide their internal forces. Datsun is already divided.

Most comments that I hear come from a driver of a particular model, celebrating his own model. I read nor hear any cross comments, any congratulations to other Datsun drivers, this is not an inclusive family, feels like an elitist group.

Jaime.________________________________________________________

Edited by jaimesix