UFO - 5 & Dime - 510 Again

yenpit

I got a call from my buddy who took over my other buddys restoration shop, after he passed away. I bought ALL of Eric's 510 stash (it took 5 trips to haul) just before he passed away, and Bob continues to unearth stuff, even after 4 years! He recently called me and asked if I wanted a "Mitchells" repair book for the 510, and of course I said "YES!!". Turned out that Eric only used the binder to collect his 510 club newsletters! I have NOT sat down with it yet (I already have a pretty good collection of these), but I can see that it starts with the "UFO Reports" FEBRUARY 1982 thru JULY1985.............

newslettercollection1.jpg

newslettercollection2.jpg

............then transformed into the "5 & Dime" OCTOBER/NOVEMBER 1985 thru MARCH/APRIL 1989............

newslettercollection3.jpg

......then into "510 Again" APRIL 1992 thru FEBRUARY 1999. He wasn't involved with 510's for many years, and I don't know when "510 Again" ended, but I think I would have the rest, along with a mostly complete "Dime Quarterly" collection.

newslettercollection4.jpg

If any of you ever get a chance to pick up these old newsletters, they are FULL of killer articles, pictures etc etc. They are a MUST READ!!!! I've seen pics of some of the older guys back in the 80's, and I found a FOR SALE listing for one of my parts cars.......15 years before I bought it!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Take to kinkos, scan, and share with the world. :-)

Are there any copyright claims on these issues ? I have 510 again newsletter from late 1985 to last issue 1992.

I have a scanner at home, I could upload all of them. Only reason I have not done it was because I was curious if anyone still owns the rights to the content ?

Copying...........it would either be expensive to have Kinko's or ?? to do it, OR it would take endless hours to do myself. I would love to share, but OMG!! :crying: Have these newsletters ever been "cataloged" online?? I thought that okayfine (Julian) has all of the "Dime Quarterly" online, but I may be wrong...............

If anybody needs a SPECIFIC COPY, I'd be happy to make a copy, but the whole collection would be a huge project!

They make auto scanners... Just like a copy machine. You insert all the pages you want into the scanner and hit go. You would just have to set it to 2-sided and do it in stacks because that whole binder won't fit in the tray.

Then once they are scanned you could break the pages up or keep them together and merge to PDF. I've done this many times in the Navy.

But that means that the "assembled" newsletter itself would have to be taken apart, perhaps even pages torn in two, and coalated (is that the right term??!!). Any way you look at it, it takes a tremendous amount of time, and between that & the potential copyright infringement, that's likely why it has never been done!

I wish I was rich, didn't have to work to live, and could do stuff like this. Maybe I should start playing the lottery.............. :thumbup:

I'm gonna say this again...........if you guys EVER have a chance to get a stack of these old crusty newsletters, grab them! If you buy a mod'd car that's been around since the 80's-90's, ask the owner if he has any! Ask, ask ask!!

The last time I sat around and read these (from my other stash of newsletters), I spent lots of time in the old classifieds. If I found a classified listing in the midwest (I'm in Michigan), I called the freakin' phone #! Sounds silly, but I actually got a handful of guys that still had the same #!! Most were receptive to my call. Out of that, because car enthusiasts are often IN the car business, I found one guy that was actually one of my old customers, when I was selling wholesale British restoration parts to him......I never knew he was into 510's!! And no, I still haven't been able to buy the 510 that he still has sitting in the corner of his shop, covered in dust & dirt for 20 years (too much $$mulla)!! I also talked with a few guys that rally raced in the 70's-80's with my pro rally buddy!! Good times............networking!!

...........then a cross ref with key words needs to be made, so people can find info! What computer software can do that? Anything that will read PDF? I'm not a computer guy, barely get by, but SOMEBODY on here must be!!?? What is the best way to do this............after we find out about the copyrights!! :poke:

If it came down to it, I would consider sending somebody this collection to scan & set up, BUT mark my words, it would be COMPLETELY publicized here on Ratsun, and I would hunt that person down if they ever walked with it!! :ninja: This kind of documentation is worth its weight in gold............

Often I get requests from a poster to close/erase his thread because he's moving on or it's served it's purpose. I say it let it stand. Just like looking back at early '80's articles, you just never know who might look back to 2012 in 30 years looking for info. There just might be that kernel of info hidden in some obscure post that makes everything fall into place.

My kids are all married now so you can imagine all the wedding photos I and they have. The best way to save and protect them is to pass them around. All of us have each others pictures so they can always be replaced. Maybe these articles should be scanned/copied and sent out. Doesn't Steroid have a huge collection of mini truck mags? like yards and yards of shelf space stacked with them?

Please, no offense, just making a point how valuable these are to me! :D dat lurka, we can talk more thru PM, if you are serious!

datzenmike.......I've got a buddy who has two complete sets of Hot Rod, from issue 1 (late 1940's??), and stacks & stacks of old Sports Car, Sports Car Graphic, Road & Track and others that I never even heard of! Every Wednesday we meet at the bar, as long as I've been here in Holland (11 yrs), and he brings 1 or 2 old mags with him. We just sit and read thru them at the bar, talking amongst ourselves about all the killer old school cars & mods they used to do back in the day, and crying over the 427 AC Cobra's selling in the classifieds for $3500. Unbelievable learning experience! Sometimes the women at the bar are like "Why are you reading that old magazine? Aren't you gonna pay any attention to us?" Huh, what, did you say something??

Problem here in Michigan, is there aren't any other Datsun guys around here, so nobody local to share them with. My buddies kinda just put up with me when I rant about Datsuns, but the subject always quickly changes back to Hot Rods! Once I'm out in Denver, I'm thinkin' there will be more Datsun fanatics around to share these with................

qwik510........yer not kidding! Hours already spent in the past, reading thru my other set, over lots of beer! Had a buddy stop by last weekend to pick up some parts, and he went ape shit when he saw this on my work bench, so I fugured I'd post it here!

See ya Saturday David! Road trip, road trip, road trip!! :thumbup: