New and Confussed - L16/L18 motor mounts

mantas

Hi guys, i hope someone can shed some light on this subject. I picked up my first 73' 620 today and I'm getting an engine from a 521 on Sunday but it has an L18 with and L16 head. The guy offered to show that it runs etc, but what engine mounts do i need, he said one of them is busted, and i don't even know where to start looking for one. By the way i'm new to datsuns and this forum and google didn't bring anything up so please don't bash and just guide me, thanks in advance.

On the other hand, will an l18 even work in a 620? I mean will the crossmemeber line up and will the oil pan clear?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The motor mounts are the same. If you already have them in the truck, then you don't need another set. Motor will just drop in.

Appreciat the responce but the problem is one of them is busted and i would rather buy some new mounts. Autozone has them for a 71' 521 and i'm wondering if that will work. I guess at $18 a pop its not a big loss if they don't workout. I already have a 5 speed from an l16 in there, do the transmissions all bolt up too?

I'm a little confused. The mounts in your 620 are broken? Or the mounts on the engine you're getting are broken?

The engine is drop in. L16/18 is basically the same in every way.

My 620 has no mounts at all, and the new engine comes with mounts but the seller said one of them needs to be replaced.

as far as I know motor mounts will work. Tranny will bolt on. Keep your current flywheel/ clutch. You will probably need to swap your oil pan onto the new motor. 620 mounts are a tad different, read: taller, but not by a ton.

I guess i might be on a hunt for an oil pan too, i had a feeling that could become a problem but i haven't seen the engine and the 521 engine bay to make that judgement yet.

521 and 620 mounts are not the same. The mounts are specific to the vehicle, not the engine. An L-series 4-cyl is an L-series 4-cyl, even more so with the L16 and L18 as they are externally exactly the same. 521s use a curved metal bracket between the engine and rubber insulator (not much different from a 510). 620s use a welded box frame between the engine and rubber insulator.

If your 620 has no engine in it (and hence no mounts), you will need to find some from a junkyard. The 521 ones won't work, broken or not. You need 620 mounts, specifically 72-74 620 mounts as later 620 mounts are slightly different. You need everything from the part that bolts to teh frame to the part that bolts to the engine.

And yes, you'll need a 620-specific oil pan, and maybe the oil pickup tube.

521 and 620 mounts are not the same. The mounts are specific to the vehicle, not the engine. An L-series 4-cyl is an L-series 4-cyl, even more so with the L16 and L18 as they are externally exactly the same. 521s use a curved metal bracket between the engine and rubber insulator (not much different from a 510). 620s use a welded box frame between the engine and rubber insulator.

If your 620 has no engine in it (and hence no mounts), you will need to find some from a junkyard. The 521 ones won't work, broken or not. You need 620 mounts, specifically 72-74 620 mounts as later 620 mounts are slightly different. You need everything from the part that bolts to teh frame to the part that bolts to the engine.

And yes, you'll need a 620-specific oil pan, and maybe the oil pickup tube.

Thats a stellar response, I guess i'll do some hunting for both of those things, unless I come accross an L16 swap.

The rubber parts aren't really universal, but when you go about modding stuff you find some things fit with some drilling and even more fits when a welder gets involved. 620s are pretty specific about the mounts- half inch lower, you hit the tie rod. Because the center bolt on the rubber insulator is at an angle, height is critical or they end up being pulled, and the rubber fails early.

Appreciat the responce but the problem is one of them is busted and i would rather buy some new mounts. Autozone has them for a 71' 521 and i'm wondering if that will work. I guess at $18 a pop its not a big loss if they don't workout. I already have a 5 speed from an l16 in there, do the transmissions all bolt up too?

There were no 5 speeds on any L16s but if you have any L series 5 speed in the truck just waiting for a motor, any L18 or L20B will bolt up to it, yes.

As it's a '73 I would expect that you have a 200sx dogleg in there. This is the most likely for good fit in a '73.

There were no 5 speeds on any L16s but if you have any L series 5 speed in the truck just waiting for a motor, any L18 or L20B will bolt up to it, yes.

As it's a '73 I would expect that you have a 200sx dogleg in there. This is the most likely for good fit in a '73.

I think i'm making things worse by throwing in random details. haha.

So here is the low down:

I bought a 620 '73 which originally had an L16 with a dogleg 5spd. The shell has no motor and no mounts. The engine i'm buying is an L18 from a '71 521, it comes with motor mounts (one is busted) and a busted 5spd. I'm not sure if 521's ever came with the L18 but i'm willing to bet they did not. So i'm guessing i'll have to buy a welder at this point, or get the engine and try and findout what is going on.

Take the motor you have, remove both engine mounts, buy 620 mounts, put 620 mounts on motor, drop into truck, enjoy.

What about the oil pan issue as someone has mentioned? I already bought some mounts but i'm not 100% the place will have them - since most online places take orders and a week later they tell you the part is not available. If not i can go across the street to Nissan and see if my friend can get his hands on some mounts.

Do you still have the dog leg?

Bolt that to your new motor.

Yes sir, that came with the car. I'm going to sell off the trans that will come with the swap. Eventually I will go KA24 so i just hope this engine/transmission holds together till then, haha.

if you have a 521 you will use a 521 oil pan /521 engine mounts

If a 620 use the 620 pan!!!!!!!!! 620 engine mounts.

Well i'll try and hunt the pan down, i hope the place i ordered the mounts from is legit. If anyone in socal has a pan, please pm me. The guy with the engine had to reschedule for tomorrow.......booooo

So i ordered the mounts from ebay as well, whichever gets here first i'll use those and ship the other set back. Here is a link i found while looking for a used L16 oil pan - http://community.ratsun.net/topic/20621-l-series-oil-pan-needed/

Appears that the l521 pan has a smaller sump area in the picture halfway down the page - posted by

Charlie69

Correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't the 521 pan allow for more clearance? And could i just cut and weld/bang with hammer to make it fit? On my s14 i bashed the hell out of the oil pan to get the RB25 to fit, looks junky but who cares.

As promised, here are some pics. You can't really see it, but the car has a little bit of surface rust here and there, underbody is immaculate because someone had the common sense to douse it in rhinoliner. I've already removed a lot of the surface rust from the body and sprayed primer just so i don't have any further problems down the line. I have to say for $1000 it's not a bad shell. Granted it will be another $1500 till it's running but at least the rust is a non issue. It does have shaved handles and some kind of crazy shit going on with the datsun on the bed door. Interior side panels are great, dash is A-ok, and the engine bay is fairly clean, has new fuel lines, clutch line, and brake lines, with a booster, new slave, new master.

7997818859_e741f95260_z.jpg

photo 2(12) by onedollar99cents, on Flickr

7997824328_b92ae266d6_z.jpg

photo 1(12) by onedollar99cents, on Flickr

7997824400_f8233bb6f7_z.jpg

photo 4(7) by onedollar99cents, on Flickr

7997818689_87902b421f_z.jpg

photo 3(8) by onedollar99cents, on Flickr