rb26dett awd swap :)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He won't be back, because it will likely not be finished anytime within the next 5 years.

There's naysayers around because people like me, at 38, have 20 more years in the Datsun world than you do. I've seen it all. I know what works, what doesn't, and what's feasible. The same story goes with the AWD 510 projects. There's a reason nobody ever finishes one. It would completely ruin the car. It will handle worse and weigh more. This is what people don't get. Many times at the autocross you'll see a nearly stock 510 with a mild L-series win over far more modified/expensive vehicles. Big money, high hp, and 5 years worth of work won't make the car handle all the much better. If you want an awd car then buy a Subaru. If you want a trophy car, then build the awd Z. It will look cool, and be a sense of accomplishment for you, but don't be sad when it get's stomped by a properly set up stock-ish ride. The return just isn't worth the investment.

He won't be back, because it will likely not be finished anytime within the next 5 years.

There's naysayers around because people like me, at 38, have 20 more years in the Datsun world than you do. I've seen it all. I know what works, what doesn't, and what's feasible. The same story goes with the AWD 510 projects. There's a reason nobody ever finishes one. It would completely ruin the car. It will handle worse and weigh more. This is what people don't get. Many times at the autocross you'll see a nearly stock 510 with a mild L-series win over far more modified/expensive vehicles. Big money, high hp, and 5 years worth of work won't make the car handle all the much better. If you want an awd car then buy a Subaru. If you want a trophy car, then build the awd Z. It will look cool, and be a sense of accomplishment for you, but don't be sad when it get's stomped by a properly set up stock-ish ride. The return just isn't worth the investment.

You're 38? Well like I said its not only me working on this. I have my father at 45. With 27 years of experience and his friend with an equal amount on Z's. suck on that buddy. its been done before so its not impossible. And yeah I'm sure you're an expert on how these handle... I mean you probably have one since according to you its impossible

I love how everyone is talking shit about a RB26 awd setup but a member here and on hybridz.org put a Subaru Forester front clip under a Z and did it within a few weeks and has an AWD Z, but obviously an AWD RB26 is unobtainable regardless of previously said examples, I searched for a while to find the thread on hybridz I read a few years ago but couldn't find it, Wish I could the guy had the whole thing built with pictures of everything including front suspension etc etc.

Who say's he needs to use the front stock diff? change it to a Rear sump oil pan mount a diff near the right side of the motor clearance everything for the axles etc. and like I said just because he said he is going to do it doesn't mean he will do it in day's anything takes time and money. I'm glad none of my friends have hassled me about building an AWD super beetle, They actually convinced me to do it.

Didn't say it was impossible, I said it's not worth the time and money involved. Lot's of things have been done before to Datsuns, and a LOT of them aren't good ideas. We see this kind of thing ALL the time. Seriously, all the time. Most of these dreams end up being sold as a half finished projects that nobody wants to buy. If you can finish it, kudos to you. How much of the fab work can you do by yourself? Unless the answer is *all*, you're going to spend a shit-ton of money getting things right. Realistically you're looking at a $50k project by the time you're totally finished, and in the end it won't be worth half what you've got into it. It's your money, your time, and your car, do what you want.........but there's a reason that people are trying to give you advise. This is a build that only professional shops with tons of resources would ever even attempt....and they aren't doing it, for good reason. Just sayin'. Your better off starting on a MUCH smaller project, something that's actually realistically accomplish-able. If you can finish it, great, prove me wrong.

I hope he does do it. I like the idea. However, there is also a fair amount of "bit off more than you can chew?" from my extensive knowledge of car junk. Swaps are fun, but even the most basic take quite a bit of effort and money. I think a GTR cut at the bottom of the body seam would look fine with a 510 body grafted onto that. That way you'd get the best of both worlds. Of course, Z cars have a bit more room. A 4wd 510 is almost impossible just due to lack of space. I thought about taking a Nissan Pathfinder frame and dropping a 510 body on it, but then it's still just 4wd, not AWD, and even that amount of effort is cost-prohibitive.

Then again, no one ever thought the Spruce Goose would fly either.

alright guys come on

on the one hand like ive said from the word go its possbile with the right tools and money if hes got both let him do it i understand the point that non of us want to see a datsun go to the crusher cause some kid couldnt finish his project but if he doesnt try he will never learn besides hes working with a z car here the most common datsun in existance

but i cant ignore the fact that this kid has turned into an asshole to the senior members of this community dude just cause there telling you there opinon on something and how they dont want to see the car crushed does NOT give you a reason to be a douche bag

im done

http://ameblo.jp/progressauto/theme13-10031727183.html#main

also found the thread I was referring to below, the AWD stuff is on page 3 and 4, shows some measurements and its definitely possible without too much frame work, just some front suspension work and it would be more then possible.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/68201-rb-zed-aka-gaijin/page__hl__awd+rb26+__st__40

Hey man, dont get discouraged from people telling you that you cant do it. Constructive criticism and competition brings ideas and innovation... im sure every nay sayer here would like to see you get this shit done, but theres a difference between holding the flashlight for daddy and actually doing it are different...

alright guys come on

on the one hand like ive said from the word go its possbile with the right tools and money if hes got both let him do it i understand the point that non of us want to see a datsun go to the crusher cause some kid couldnt finish his project but if he doesnt try he will never learn besides hes working with a z car here the most common datsun in existance

but i cant ignore the fact that this kid has turned into an asshole to the senior members of this community dude just cause there telling you there opinon on something and how they dont want to see the car crushed does NOT give you a reason to be a douche bag

im done

I've turned into an asshole ? Hey man I don't owe them any more respect than what they've shown me. they're debit members because they've posted more posts on here. not trying to say anything bad. They don't want to see my car crushed? One of them told me to take it to the crusher -_-

alright guys come on

im done

I've turned into an asshole ? Hey man I don't owe them any more respect than what they've shown me. they're debit members because they've posted more posts on here. not trying to say anything bad. They don't want to see my car crushed? One of them told me to take it to the crusher -_-

Hey man, dont get discouraged from people telling you that you cant do it. Constructive criticism and competition brings ideas and innovation... im sure every nay sayer here would like to see you get this shit done, but theres a difference betwwen holding the flashlight for daddy and actually doing it are different...

discouraged? No they're strengthening my determination and I'm completely aware of that

• Like 1

I love how everyone is talking shit about a RB26 awd setup but a member here and on hybridz.org put a Subaru Forester front clip under a Z and did it within a few weeks and has an AWD Z, but obviously an AWD RB26 is unobtainable regardless of previously said examples, I searched for a while to find the thread on hybridz I read a few years ago but couldn't find it, Wish I could the guy had the whole thing built with pictures of everything including front suspension etc etc.

Who say's he needs to use the front stock diff? change it to a Rear sump oil pan mount a diff near the right side of the motor clearance everything for the axles etc. and like I said just because he said he is going to do it doesn't mean he will do it in day's anything takes time and money. I'm glad none of my friends have hassled me about building an AWD super beetle, They actually convinced me to do it.

you my friend... have my full undivided aappreciation thanks.

Didn't say it was impossible, I said it's not worth the time and money involved. Lot's of things have been done before to Datsuns, and a LOT of them aren't good ideas. We see this kind of thing ALL the time. Seriously, all the time. Most of these dreams end up being sold as a half finished projects that nobody wants to buy. If you can finish it, kudos to you. How much of the fab work can you do by yourself? Unless the answer is *all*, you're going to spend a shit-ton of money getting things right. Realistically you're looking at a $50k project by the time you're totally finished, and in the end it won't be worth half what you've got into it. It's your money, your time, and your car, do what you want.........but there's a reason that people are trying to give you advise. This is a build that only professional shops with tons of resources would ever even attempt....and they aren't doing it, for good reason. Just sayin'. Your better off starting on a MUCH smaller project, something that's actually realistically accomplish-able. If you can finish it, great, prove me wrong.

not even 50k bro. and no once again you don't need a professional shop. just a really good one.it requires a lot of ingenuity.hard work. time. and money.

If you can be right there when they deliver ...

make damn sure they don't break the sensor's or snap off a throttle body or drop the effing thing ???

There's been quite a few complaints apparently in regards to broken/dropped stuff concerning JDM engines.

(I'm sure you're on top of it)

I for one am stoked to see oics of the parts :D ( being an s30 guy ) :hyper:

Texas should get a point for this Skibber ... :lol:

discouraged? No they're strengthening my determination and I'm completely aware of that

Good... I feel that if people only get praised for there work and ideas, only do as good as they did and dont perfect there abilities further., im sure INDY510 can attest to this, hes got alot of nay sayers... Dont give up on ratsun because of criticism, feed on on it and prove people wrong including me... make a build thread when you start.

Dont be ashamed for holding the flashlight for dad, i did when i was 15 and had my first car... gotta start somewhere... but, dont think you know everything, because you dont, and only in time will you know this...

Hopefully. Your not like the flowbots and can actually take something apart and actually put it back together...

• Like 2

Good... I feel that if people only get praised for there work and ideas, only do as good as they did and dont perfect there abilities further., im sure INDY510 can attest to this, hes got alot of nay sayers... Dont give up on ratsun because of criticism, feed on on it and prove people wrong including me... make a build thread when you start.

Dont be ashamed for holding the flashlight for dad, i did when i was 15 and had my first car... gotta start somewhere... but, dont think you know everything, because you dont, and only in time will you know this...

Hopefully. Your not like the flowbots and can actually take something apart and actually put it back together...

Hell that's how I learned ... older brother mostly though not dad.

I also learned by effing up lol.

Best lesson's are the hardest ones.